Question for CBS Sportsline Vets - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Question for CBS Sportsline Vets

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Question for CBS Sportsline Vets

Postby mkirsh » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:06 pm

I'm considering switching our league from Yahoo, where we've had it for years, to CBS Sportsline because of the extensive customization features. My one concern, however, is that the CBS interface is not as user-friendly. Any comments on that in general would be appreciated and especially to this specific question: Does CBS Sportsline have a single page where you can see your team's lineup and their livestats for the day? I've never used it, but in playing around with the site, it seems that it doesn't have an all-encompassing team page like Yahoo where you can see your entire roster, their stats for the day, set their positions, look at past stats, etc. Thanks for any thoughts.
mkirsh
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Question for CBS Sportsline Vets

Postby Matthias » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:20 pm

Well, my experience personally and in the threads, is that people feel most comfortable with the interface that they started on. My first baseball league was on Sportsline so I'm used to the interface and think it's fine. The player pages are much better: I've had friends who played in both Yahoo and Sportsline and when they were thinking about picking up a player in Yahoo, would look him up in Sportsline. The data that shows up is just so much better.

As far as your roster, stats., etc., that would be the GameCenter. It shows up-to-the-minute stats for your whole team. I *think* you can choose to look at stats for the last 7 days; not sure.

Anything else you're wondering about, specifically?
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mkirsh » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:38 pm

Matthias -- You are very correct that whichever system one starts using is always what's most comfortable, and I've got some pretty tech-unsavy GMs so I don't want to throw anything at them that is too complicated.

Specifically what I'm trying to figure out is whether each GM has a team page that shows their entire roster and each player's performance in all of the league's state categories for today (if there are games), yesterday, etc. With Yahoo, you go to your team page, it shows all of your players, their positions, and then their performance in each stat category your league uses. So, at a glance, you can see how your entire roster is doing (if there are games going on), or you can look back and see how they did the day before. When I looked at the CBS Sportsline Game Center, it seemed to just have a column for player's name and then a column for the number of points they generated that day (in a H2H-points system), but there didn't seem to be columns for their performance in the individual stat categories, i.e. HRs, RBIs, Rs, etc. I realize that this may be because there are no games happening, etc. but I wanted to be sure that CBS has an easy way to look at the performance for all the players on your roster for each day. Thanks!
mkirsh
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Curtis Pride » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:43 pm

Yes, they have a stat tracker like Yahoo. You can see all the stats for that day.

On the page where you set your lineup for the day, you can also see their stats for the year and who they are playing by toggling.

The interface is different than Yahoo. And since you can do a bunch more on Sportsline, it's a little more complex. But you get used to it. It's much much better than Yahoo if you are in a keeper league, a complex league with quirky settings, or a very deep league (especially if you have minor leaguers)

Additionally, you can sign up for a Sportsline league and they are fully refundable until April 15th, so it's worth a shot.

Finally, if you know someone who has a Sportsline league and you are going to sign up for one, have them refer you and they get a $50 check from Sportsline (I believe you get one too, but I'm not sure).

And if you don't, PM me since I have a Sportsline league, and I'll happily split it with you.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Grouperman941 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:29 pm

Matthias wrote:Well, my experience personally and in the threads, is that people feel most comfortable with the interface that they started on. My first baseball league was on Sportsline so I'm used to the interface and think it's fine. The player pages are much better: I've had friends who played in both Yahoo and Sportsline and when they were thinking about picking up a player in Yahoo, would look him up in Sportsline. The data that shows up is just so much better.

As far as your roster, stats., etc., that would be the GameCenter. It shows up-to-the-minute stats for your whole team. I *think* you can choose to look at stats for the last 7 days; not sure.

Anything else you're wondering about, specifically?

I think it is more of a testes great/less filling type deal on the interfaces. I did start on Sportsline -- when it was actually free. It has changed quite a bit -- for the better -- and I find it very intuitive. I have played Yahoo and ESPN since, and I had a very hard time getting used to both -- especially the standings and stat tables.

With CBS, if you play around in the menus, it is pretty easy to find information in a format you want -- customize your stat reports, even oddball ones like CS by catcher, and they become part of the drop down menus on the stat pages. There are many ways of looking at the info. (Not all possible ways, but pretty good.)

On the Live Scoring page of GameCenter, you can easily switch to any teams' results for the day in real time, and category standings are updated at the bottom of the page (total stats, roto points YTD or period), overall standings at the top. Kind of 'fluff' but cool for the few times you might want to see it in roto. Highlight boxes alert to bullpen action, on deck, and RISP. This was upgraded last year and is very slick. The page is down ATM, probably preparing for this season.

You need to switch to your roster page or stat reports to see stats before the current day.

It is also easy to go from the live scoring to the MLB GameCenter for the actual game stats with play by play.

Besides GameCenter, I like the Draft Room best. It is easy to use, customizable, and even has a chat box for chatter, which is often the best part of our drafts.

I find most of the daily tasks easier on CBS -- team stats, lineup changes, injuries, FA searches -- easier on CBS.

For the price, the other two are fine, but I prefer CBS by a lot.

We have a lot of non-tech guys in my league too, and they do just fine. Several probably don't know what half the menus mean, but they get by just fine setting lineups and following their team.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby BabySitler » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:59 pm

Grouperman, it is awful expensive, though... Is there a coupon code to take 10-5 % off the $129.95?
"The Greeks didn't write obituaries, they only asked one question: Did he have passion?"
BabySitler
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Grouperman941 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:43 pm

BabySitler wrote:Grouperman, it is awful expensive, though... Is there a coupon code to take 10-5 % off the $129.95?

They are not doing discounts this year as far as I know -- just the $129.95.

They are doing a program where you get $50 rebates for a new league and $50 rebate for referring a new team. There is a thread here on that. (Several Cafe guys have offered referral codes.)

Even without a discount or rebate, $130 across a 10 team league is just $13 each, and if you start now, you are getting 8-9 months of use out of the site in a non-keeper. 12 months in a keeper. Seems a fair price to me. In my league, we have 14 teams, so everyone is paying $9.25 (some have sent more, which I will put towards next year.)
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Commissioner's Corner