Brandon Webb - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brandon Webb

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NZF » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:41 pm

Anonymous wrote:Not because that is the thing to say but because that is the thing that does invaribly happen. A lot of young pitchers hit the majors and hitters are facing them for the first time and get blown away. Dontrelle Willis did it as well last year but when he came up against the same hitters again later in the season he wasn't so dominant.

sorry, cut some of the quote out

Sigh........ this is getting tedious. Shouldn't even waste my time on someone that hasn't got the bottle to sign up but anyways just for him.

The hitter gets blown away you idiot not the pitcher. Where the hell have I said anything about hitters having a handle on him? Again all I said was you could expect "SOMEWHAT OF A SLUMP" based on the fact of familiarity.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:51 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Not because that is the thing to say but because that is the thing that does invaribly happen. A lot of young pitchers hit the majors and hitters are facing them for the first time and get blown away. Dontrelle Willis did it as well last year but when he came up against the same hitters again later in the season he wasn't so dominant.

Sigh........ this is getting tedious. Shouldn't even waste my time on someone that hasn't got the bottle to sign up but anyways just for him.

The hitter gets blown away you idiot not the pitcher. Where the hell have I said anything about hitters having a handle on him? Again all I said was you could expect "SOMEWHAT OF A SLUMP" based on the fact of familiarity.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:54 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong...you were using Willis to illustrate your point and you stated that he was dominant the first time he faced hitters, blowing them away... but when teams faced him later in the season he wasn't so dominant. Isn't this another way of saying that the hitters got a handle on him the second or third time around???

stick to rugby

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:19 am

swingaway wrote:webb
wolf
nomo
clemens

;-D
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:30 am

Willis faded because he had never pitched that many innings before. He had a nice Sept. Webbs only down month was Sept., more a fatigue thing then anything. It doesn't take 4-5 months for hitters to figure out pitchers.

Webb had such a great rookie year, a decrease is expected. However, just because it's the 2nd year isn't a reason. Only 35% of guys decrease their 2nd year.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby bronxxbomber » Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:39 am

webb
wolf
nomo
clemens

Webb is a monster. This will be the last time he's not ranked in the top 15 on everyone's lists.
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby reiser » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:10 am

actually all this argues for Willis over Webb to me.

but for kicks:
Nomo
Wolf
Webb
Clemens

one thing no one seems to be taking ito account is how great Webb was ...in the NL West. i'll back it up too,
http://bhamfbl.baseball.sportsline.com/ ... own/390856

the only teams with winning records it looks like he beat were the Giants and the Dodgers. at least Willis has Pro Player going for him!
reiser

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:21 pm

HOOTIE wrote:

Willis faded because he had never pitched that many innings before. He had a nice Sept. Webbs only down month was Sept., more a fatigue thing then anything. It doesn't take 4-5 months for hitters to figure out pitchers.

Webb had such a great rookie year, a decrease is expected. However, just because it's the 2nd year isn't a reason. Only 35% of guys decrease their 2nd year.

35% of hitters or 35% of pitchers?

order

Postby DJUmperPSU » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:57 pm

Obviously Wolf, Clemens, Nomo, Webb.... dont know how anyone can rate clemens last.
DJUmperPSU
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Re: order

Postby KULCAT » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:05 pm

DJUmperPSU wrote:Obviously Wolf, Clemens, Nomo, Webb.... dont know how anyone can rate clemens last.

Because he might miss a bunch of games with his "Nolan Ryan" clause
I wouldnt be one bit surprise if Webb gets hit hard early on. I dont think he will beta top 15.
Wolf, Nomo, Clemens and Webb
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers