Brandon Webb - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brandon Webb

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NZF » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:41 pm

Anonymous wrote:Not because that is the thing to say but because that is the thing that does invaribly happen. A lot of young pitchers hit the majors and hitters are facing them for the first time and get blown away. Dontrelle Willis did it as well last year but when he came up against the same hitters again later in the season he wasn't so dominant.

sorry, cut some of the quote out


Sigh........ this is getting tedious. Shouldn't even waste my time on someone that hasn't got the bottle to sign up but anyways just for him.

The hitter gets blown away you idiot not the pitcher. Where the hell have I said anything about hitters having a handle on him? Again all I said was you could expect "SOMEWHAT OF A SLUMP" based on the fact of familiarity.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4795
Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting in the Cake Tin enjoying a cold Speights

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:51 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Not because that is the thing to say but because that is the thing that does invaribly happen. A lot of young pitchers hit the majors and hitters are facing them for the first time and get blown away. Dontrelle Willis did it as well last year but when he came up against the same hitters again later in the season he wasn't so dominant.

sorry, cut some of the quote out


Sigh........ this is getting tedious. Shouldn't even waste my time on someone that hasn't got the bottle to sign up but anyways just for him.

The hitter gets blown away you idiot not the pitcher. Where the hell have I said anything about hitters having a handle on him? Again all I said was you could expect "SOMEWHAT OF A SLUMP" based on the fact of familiarity.
Guest


Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:54 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Not because that is the thing to say but because that is the thing that does invaribly happen. A lot of young pitchers hit the majors and hitters are facing them for the first time and get blown away. Dontrelle Willis did it as well last year but when he came up against the same hitters again later in the season he wasn't so dominant.

sorry, cut some of the quote out


Sigh........ this is getting tedious. Shouldn't even waste my time on someone that hasn't got the bottle to sign up but anyways just for him.

The hitter gets blown away you idiot not the pitcher. Where the hell have I said anything about hitters having a handle on him? Again all I said was you could expect "SOMEWHAT OF A SLUMP" based on the fact of familiarity.


Correct me if I'm wrong...you were using Willis to illustrate your point and you stated that he was dominant the first time he faced hitters, blowing them away... but when teams faced him later in the season he wasn't so dominant. Isn't this another way of saying that the hitters got a handle on him the second or third time around???

stick to rugby
Guest


Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:19 am

swingaway wrote:webb
wolf
nomo
clemens


;-D
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15115
(Past Year: 297)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:30 am

Anonymous wrote:Not because that is the thing to say but because that is the thing that does invaribly happen. A lot of young pitchers hit the majors and hitters are facing them for the first time and get blown away. Dontrelle Willis did it as well last year but when he came up against the same hitters again later in the season he wasn't so dominant.

sorry, cut some of the quote out


Willis faded because he had never pitched that many innings before. He had a nice Sept. Webbs only down month was Sept., more a fatigue thing then anything. It doesn't take 4-5 months for hitters to figure out pitchers.

Webb had such a great rookie year, a decrease is expected. However, just because it's the 2nd year isn't a reason. Only 35% of guys decrease their 2nd year.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15115
(Past Year: 297)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby bronxxbomber » Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:39 am

webb
wolf
nomo
clemens


Webb is a monster. This will be the last time he's not ranked in the top 15 on everyone's lists.
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3552
Joined: 7 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Watching Over Everything

Postby reiser » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:10 am

actually all this argues for Willis over Webb to me.

but for kicks:
Nomo
Wolf
Webb
Clemens

one thing no one seems to be taking ito account is how great Webb was ...in the NL West. i'll back it up too,
http://bhamfbl.baseball.sportsline.com/ ... own/390856

the only teams with winning records it looks like he beat were the Giants and the Dodgers. at least Willis has Pro Player going for him!
reiser


Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:21 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Not because that is the thing to say but because that is the thing that does invaribly happen. A lot of young pitchers hit the majors and hitters are facing them for the first time and get blown away. Dontrelle Willis did it as well last year but when he came up against the same hitters again later in the season he wasn't so dominant.

sorry, cut some of the quote out


Willis faded because he had never pitched that many innings before. He had a nice Sept. Webbs only down month was Sept., more a fatigue thing then anything. It doesn't take 4-5 months for hitters to figure out pitchers.

Webb had such a great rookie year, a decrease is expected. However, just because it's the 2nd year isn't a reason. Only 35% of guys decrease their 2nd year.


35% of hitters or 35% of pitchers?
Guest


Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

order

Postby DJUmperPSU » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:57 pm

Obviously Wolf, Clemens, Nomo, Webb.... dont know how anyone can rate clemens last.
DJUmperPSU
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 457
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 12 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Miami

Re: order

Postby KULCAT » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:05 pm

DJUmperPSU wrote:Obviously Wolf, Clemens, Nomo, Webb.... dont know how anyone can rate clemens last.


Because he might miss a bunch of games with his "Nolan Ryan" clause
I wouldnt be one bit surprise if Webb gets hit hard early on. I dont think he will beta top 15.
Wolf, Nomo, Clemens and Webb
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 1814
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Panama mi bella Panama

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Sunday, Sep. 21
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at NY Yankees
(1:05 pm)
Washington at Miami
(1:10 pm)
indoors
NY Mets at Atlanta
(1:35 pm)
Boston at Baltimore
(1:35 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(1:35 pm)
Chi White Sox at Tampa Bay
(1:40 pm)
indoors
Cleveland at Minnesota
(2:10 pm)
Detroit at Kansas City
(2:10 pm)
Seattle at Houston
(2:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Texas at LA Angels
(3:35 pm)
Philadelphia at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Arizona at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(4:10 pm)
Cincinnati at St. Louis
(8:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact