Josh Beckett - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Josh Beckett

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Josh Beckett

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:48 pm

Lets talk about Beckett.

In spring 2002, Beckett and Prior were often discussed in the same sentence. Both were the top prospects of their class, and were expected to see time during the season. Beckett has blister problems and fails to shake them. Prior gets called up mid yr and pitches lights out.
Spring 2003, Prior is an early rd grab for those inclined to believe he is the real deal. I "jumped" for him in the 5-6th when I could. Obviously anywhere after the 2nd was value for him. Beckett is considered not much more than a late rd gamble last March. He came up mid yr last yr and pitched lights out. The blisters seem to be solved. World Series MVP.
Spring 2004, Prior is the top rated SP in fantasy. Beckett is considered an early rd gamble. "Dont get caught up in making the mistake of overvaluing his playoff performance."
Am I the only one who thinks there could be a trend thats not being discussed. Should I be looking at Beckett to "jump" for in the 5th-6th this yr?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby tlef316 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:07 pm

5th-6th round is a good time to draft beckett this year. the guy is a very good pitcher with a ton of upside. i wouldnt take him in the 4th, but 5th is about right
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Freebird27 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:51 pm

For some reason, Beckett doesnt seem to be getting much respect at the cafe. All ya hear is "dont evervalue him because of his MVP post season. Like he was a scrub until the postseason. He had an ERA at 3.04 and averaged a hair over a K per inning. Those are rock solid numbers with his only week points being that he got no help from his offense thus his W's werent there and he had a 1.3 WHIP..

He is a solid 2nd tier SP in the class of Ozwalt and Zito IMO and he will take it to the blue chip level this season.
Freebird27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GSes » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:12 pm

Beckett could follow Prior's trend from last season where he gets taken in the middle rounds (I think he should go 4-5) and ends up in the top 5.

Prior busted out last season and everyone who took a gamble on him early more then paid off.

I like Beckett to have his breakout season in 2004. And cornbread is right a few years ago it was Prior & Beckett in the same sentence.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kentx12 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:38 pm

tlef316 wrote:5th-6th round is a good time to draft beckett this year. the guy is a very good pitcher with a ton of upside. i wouldnt take him in the 4th, but 5th is about right

I agree. Beckett would be a good pick in those rounds but he seems to be going b4 then and I will not be taking him any earlier.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Pirate of the Carib » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:53 pm

Freebird27 wrote:For some reason, Beckett doesnt seem to be getting much respect at the cafe. All ya hear is "dont evervalue him because of his MVP post season. Like he was a scrub until the postseason. He had an ERA at 3.04 and averaged a hair over a K per inning. Those are rock solid numbers with his only week points being that he got no help from his offense thus his W's werent there and he had a 1.3 WHIP..

He is a solid 2nd tier SP in the class of Ozwalt and Zito IMO and he will take it to the blue chip level this season.

I agree ;-D
Pirate of the Carib
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baseball Leftovers