starting up a keeper league... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

starting up a keeper league...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

starting up a keeper league...

Postby Wright_me_up » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:16 pm

Starting up a keeper league this season...any recommendations on the best sites that hosts reasonably priced, leagues?

Also, wouldn't mind any insight into what's worked for people regarding league size (I'm thinking 14) and how many minor leaguers each roster can reasonably hold (4 was the thought)

By the way, found this pretty interesting and blog on SN the other day. Definitely worth checking out.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/bco_and_therex
Wright_me_up
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: starting up a keeper league...

Postby MTUCache » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:22 am

Thanks for the link... quite entertaining actually, even if I'm not in complete agreement with his rankings. Can't say I'm liking the "De-Toilet" comments in the MCab piece, but it looks like he took a pretty even shot at everybody.

Also, the "Hebrew Hammer" is the new greatest nickname for a baseball player ever. Ryan Braun continues his total dominance over the fantasy baseball world.

Anyway, onto the keeper league questions....

As for league size, 14 will definitely work, but with that many guys I'd be making a strong push to make sure I only got guys who were serious about staying in a keeper league for several years. If you've got guys that tend to flake out after they get bored with something, they could easily ruin the league for the other guys next year. Maybe you can get a few of the less trustworty or consistant guys to team up and be co-managers, or maybe even sit out as "alternates" for the following seasons. Taking this down to 10 or 12 consistant teams would be better than having 14 and having to find 2-3 new owners every season.

Minor league rosters can pretty much accomidate any league size you want. There's plenty of prospects out there, and finding 50 or so of them is as easy as going to MiLB.com. That being said, it's going to become pretty apparent very quickly which owners are into scouting and digging and which ones are just wasting their time. I may wait until after the newer owners got a year or so under their belt before adding this wrinkle into the game... it's not like you couldn't add this in a later year if you wanted to.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SpringFever » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:28 am

I play in a 12 team Dynasty League with 10 minor league roster spots. We have had to fill 1 or 2 spots every year but it has worked out so far.
I love baseball, but not as much as you u see but still I love baseball - always and forever, always and forever.
SpringFever
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby abrage22 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:18 pm

CBS ;-D better than anything else you'll find in my opinon
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner