Bavasi: Genius or Dunce? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bavasi: Genius or Dunce?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Bavasi: Genius or Dunce?

Postby NZ Eff » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:50 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:How has he been effective? The team hasn't been to the playoffs since 2001 despite having one of the top 10 payrolls. I actually don't mind the Beltre signing at all, as I think he's underrated as a hitter and is a spectacular defensive third baseman. However, his trade record is absolutely horrible and he's made some really bad signings in Sexson, Washburn, and Silva. Plus he's delusional thinking that they are a Bedard away from being a legitimate contender.

I was hoping that they'd take the chance to rebuild/retool this offseason but it's apparent that's not the case. That being said, his hands are somewhat tied by his higher-ups who won't suffer through "a Cleveland style rebuild" (yeah since that obviously didn't work). Anyway, Bavasi is a dunce.

I will say though that if the AJ/Bedard deal does go through, they may as well just sell the rest of the farm and really make a run. Add a couple of bats and see what happens. But the M's just seem to be in a steady state of half-assery, which is very frustrating as a fan. :-C


Not sure how you consider Washburn a bad signing. He's started every 5 days for a very ordinary offensive Seattle team over the last two seasons and his numbers for the Mariners are not far off his overall career numbers. Sure he's been nothing great but he has been dependable and has pitched around his career norms. That is not a bad signing.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1478
(Past Year: 98)
Joined: 20 Jan 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Bavasi: Genius or Dunce?

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:37 pm

NZ Eff wrote:Not sure how you consider Washburn a bad signing. He's started every 5 days for a very ordinary offensive Seattle team over the last two seasons and his numbers for the Mariners are not far off his overall career numbers. Sure he's been nothing great but he has been dependable and has pitched around his career norms. That is not a bad signing.


So just because he hasn't sucked really bad he's a decent signing? :-? I'm sorry if I'd like my GM to do better than landing an average #4 starter to a $9.5M per year deal (or an average #5 starter to an $11M per year deal !+) %-6 ). When you're barely above replacement level and make 30 times the league minimum, I'd say someone gave you a stupid contract.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13710
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Building a metric. And being ignorable and stupid.

Re: Bavasi: Genius or Dunce?

Postby NZ Eff » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:20 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
NZ Eff wrote:Not sure how you consider Washburn a bad signing. He's started every 5 days for a very ordinary offensive Seattle team over the last two seasons and his numbers for the Mariners are not far off his overall career numbers. Sure he's been nothing great but he has been dependable and has pitched around his career norms. That is not a bad signing.


So just because he hasn't sucked really bad he's a decent signing? :-? I'm sorry if I'd like my GM to do better than landing an average #4 starter to a $9.5M per year deal (or an average #5 starter to an $11M per year deal !+) %-6 ). When you're barely above replacement level and make 30 times the league minimum, I'd say someone gave you a stupid contract.


The market rate for SP was inflated from 2006, you can't blame the GM for that. And Washburn has far from sucked really bad. He's been decent and very dependable. No way a bad signing.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1478
(Past Year: 98)
Joined: 20 Jan 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Bavasi: Genius or Dunce?

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:08 pm

Never been a Bavasi fan. Bavasi knows he can't wait to rebuild, his string is very short, (this year). Washburn hasn't pitched as good as i hoped, (95 and 100 era+), but he has made his starts. Silva would have been ok at 2 years, not 4. He's a innings eater. Seattle sp is their main weakness. The bullpen was so overused last year, they were useless the last 2 months, a big reason why Seattle hit the skids. Silva will help there, if nothing else. As things stand, i think their shot at catching Angels is 10%. I think Bedard moves that up to 40-50%. Sure, it's stil a gamble. The Sexson deal is killing them right now. I would love to see Clement at 1b. Bavasis drafting might be what i dislike the most about him. He took Morrow over the local favorite, (Lincecum). He took Clement, who might be ok, but left guys like Bruce, Rasmus, Tulowitzki, Maybin, Braun, Zimmerman on the table.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15108
(Past Year: 305)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Re: Bavasi: Genius or Dunce?

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:54 pm

NZ Eff wrote:The market rate for SP was inflated from 2006, you can't blame the GM for that. And Washburn has far from sucked really bad. He's been decent and very dependable. No way a bad signing.


Oh I don't blame him for an inflated market. I blame him for believing for whatever reason that the best way for him to build a rotation is by signing FAs, which is obviously the least cost effective way to do buisiness.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13710
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Building a metric. And being ignorable and stupid.

Re: Bavasi: Genius or Dunce?

Postby Ender » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:01 am

Washburn has thrown 380 IP over the past two seasons, that is hardly reliable enough to be a big plus from a contract standpoint. He has had ERA+ of 95 and 100 so he has been a below average starter over the past two years. I'm not sure it was a terrible contract but it hasn't been a good one either.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7733
(Past Year: 451)
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Apr. 21
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Baltimore at Boston
(11:05 am)
Kansas City at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
LA Angels at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
St. Louis at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Miami at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Arizona at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
San Diego at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Philadelphia at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Houston at Seattle
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact