Bavasi: Genius or Dunce? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bavasi: Genius or Dunce?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bavasi: Genius or Dunce?

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:12 am

This one's for you BP... ;-)
Bavasi deserves some credit for boldness. He repeatedly said he wanted to find two quality starting pitchers, and he apparently has done that with Bedard and Carlos Silva joining Felix Hernandez, Miguel Batista and Jarrod Washburn in a suddenly formidable rotation.

But will that be enough to generate the five to 10 more wins the Mariners will need to make the playoffs?

Stranger things have happened. Remember when Julia Roberts married Lyle Lovett? That was stranger than the Mariners winning 95 games in 2008 would be.

Recall that last season’s 88 victories despite a significant negative run differential was a statistical abnormality that’s due for a correction. Consider that Jones’ departure figures to provide a sizable hit to the defense as well as the offense. The alleged potential stopgap of free agent Brad Wilkerson platooning with Wladimir Balentien in right field won’t send many hearts aflutter.

Seattle Pi | FULL STORY
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Bavasi: Genius or Dunce?

Postby bsblallstr » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:44 am

Bedard and Hernandez could form the most formidable 1-2 punch in the game behind Webb and Haren and have the potential to be better given how young the two are and the upside of Hernandez, that said, Washburn, Silva, and Batista are not going to shake batters knees that much. I dont think their rotation is all that great, it is good all the way through, but it isnt anything to get excited about after those first two. I do believe getting Bedard for Jones was a good call. Sure Jones could be great someday, but I would always rather have proven major league talent than a guy who has a good minor league track record but not a major league one cause they dont always pan out.
Reyes and guerrero, the two most blessed players in the league, not to mention the most fun to watch
bsblallstr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:24 pm

bsblallstr wrote:Bedard and Hernandez could form the most formidable 1-2 punch in the game behind Webb and Haren and have the potential to be better given how young the two are and the upside of Hernandez, that said, Washburn, Silva, and Batista are not going to shake batters knees that much. I dont think their rotation is all that great, it is good all the way through, but it isnt anything to get excited about after those first two. I do believe getting Bedard for Jones was a good call. Sure Jones could be great someday, but I would always rather have proven major league talent than a guy who has a good minor league track record but not a major league one cause they dont always pan out.

I think whether you want "proven" versus "unproven" depends on where you are in the success cycle among other things. The Orioles are at least 4-5 years from being a contender. Bedard is less than 2 years from FA. He's indicated he'll take a serious look at other offers at that time. By the time the Orioles contend Bedard will be a 33-34 year old pitcher, IF he is even on the team and not injured. So, the Orioles' choice is risk that or get something that they have a better chance of being of greater value at that time.

Seattle, otoh, thinks they are closer to contending (I think they are wrong). Those "proven" players are more valuable to them than prospects. And taking a risk that they can win now with Bedard is a better bet than risking that they will still have the talent to contend by the time Jones makes a major contribution.

In addition to think that Seattle is wrong about where they are in the success cycle, I think they are wrong on the risk tradeoff with Jones and Bedard. Pitchers are inherently riskier, and Bedard has some higher risks built in from injury/durability. Jones, on the other hand, is hardly unproven. He's an incredible defender and about a sure thing contributor over the next 2-4 years as you can get from a prospect.

I hope the big Peter gets the hell out of the way.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:26 pm

I think Bravasi is delusional thinking that getting Bedard will take him to the promised land.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CadensDad » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:43 pm

Yoda wrote:I think Bravasi is delusional thinking that getting Bedard will take him to the promised land.

Yea, It's a move in the right direction but he is 1 or 2 more players away from the big spotlight

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Mugrila » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:04 pm

Seattle is definitely a team in limbo of rebuilding and making a run, which is really not an ideal situation. You have a superstar CF who could be the best lead off hitter in baseball, and a few guys with mediocre power behind him, but nothing spectacular. The bottom end of the lineup isn't much of anything; it just blows my mind for Bavasi to think he can actually compete for a title with Jose Vidro as the DH. What really hurts is the defense of the corner OFs and in todays game you either have to smash the cover off the ball, or you have to play some good defense and having good pitching.

All in all, Bavasi-Dunce.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:39 pm

This is sure to be a VERY one-sided as far as posts go.

Bavasi has been terrible to say the least.

Some of the players he's brought in have done ok (Ibanez, Beltre, Washburn) but they WAY overpaid in most cases.

If the M's can pull off the Bedard deal & sign him to an extension then his stay as GM will be ok.

To me Bavasi will be remembered as the guy who traded R. Soriano for H. Ramirez. Not much to really say after that move. :-t
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:32 am

I suppose he's been effective, but he also has spent a whole lot of money on guys like Beltre who definitely have not lived up to it.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:51 am

How has he been effective? The team hasn't been to the playoffs since 2001 despite having one of the top 10 payrolls. I actually don't mind the Beltre signing at all, as I think he's underrated as a hitter and is a spectacular defensive third baseman. However, his trade record is absolutely horrible and he's made some really bad signings in Sexson, Washburn, and Silva. Plus he's delusional thinking that they are a Bedard away from being a legitimate contender.

I was hoping that they'd take the chance to rebuild/retool this offseason but it's apparent that's not the case. That being said, his hands are somewhat tied by his higher-ups who won't suffer through "a Cleveland style rebuild" (yeah since that obviously didn't work). Anyway, Bavasi is a dunce.

I will say though that if the AJ/Bedard deal does go through, they may as well just sell the rest of the farm and really make a run. Add a couple of bats and see what happens. But the M's just seem to be in a steady state of half-assery, which is very frustrating as a fan. :-C
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Sticky Spice » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:26 pm

Dunce.

Last season was the worst possible thing that could happen to Seattle as it made Bavasi seem not as stupid. Even rags beat pocket aces on occasion, but it doesn't mean keep playing them.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers