Convince Me - PS3 vs XBox 360 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Video Games

Convince Me - PS3 vs XBox 360

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Convince Me - PS3 vs XBox 360

Postby sox 06 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:44 pm

I know this thread is a bit old, but I'd like to revisit this topic. I've owned a 360 for the past three years. I'm on my second console (first one RROD after one year) and I didn't buy a warranty for this console. Everything is working fine, but I've been thinking about buying a PS3. I don't play any exclusive games although I do love Forza 3. However, Gran Turismo 5 should be good enough if I switch. Here are the reasons why I'm thinking of making the switch, should I?

-PS3 is hopefully quieter than my jet engine.. I mean... my 360
-PS3 can use external USB HDD right? 360 can't
-PS3 has free online and all I want is online gaming every once in a while, not $50 worth
-PS3 has blu-ray and even though I don't watch a ton of movies, it would be good to have
-Could buy an extended warranty for the PS3
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fade2White12 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:52 am

sox 06 wrote:-PS3 is hopefully quieter than my jet engine.. I mean... my 360 Mine is extremely quiet. If you keep it in a place with good ventilation and out of the sunlight, the fan inside won't even have to increase RPMs.
-PS3 can use external USB HDD right? 360 can't Very true. With a PS3 you can also increase your internal HDD and add an OS.
-PS3 has free online and all I want is online gaming every once in a while, not $50 worth Yup
-PS3 has blu-ray and even though I don't watch a ton of movies, it would be good to have If you have an HDTV, you won't want to watch regular DVDs ever again.
-Could buy an extended warranty for the PS3 Normally I don't bother with those things, but if you value an extended warranty, good idea.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:54 am

Another good thing about PS3 is that it can connect wirelessly to the internet out of the box, you won't have to buy an adapter like with the Xbox360.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sox 06 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:26 am

Fade2White12 wrote:
sox 06 wrote:-PS3 is hopefully quieter than my jet engine.. I mean... my 360 Mine is extremely quiet. If you keep it in a place with good ventilation and out of the sunlight, the fan inside won't even have to increase RPMs.
-PS3 can use external USB HDD right? 360 can't Very true. With a PS3 you can also increase your internal HDD and add an OS.
-PS3 has free online and all I want is online gaming every once in a while, not $50 worth Yup
-PS3 has blu-ray and even though I don't watch a ton of movies, it would be good to have If you have an HDTV, you won't want to watch regular DVDs ever again.
-Could buy an extended warranty for the PS3 Normally I don't bother with those things, but if you value an extended warranty, good idea.

Thanks ;-D

My 360 used to be quiet and I install all of my games to the HDD, but lately the fans have become really loud. Playing a game from a cold startup the fans are almost silent, but then after five minutes, they are louder than they should be. I have the console on its own table, with wide open space on all sides and top. Also, the power brick has its own shelf that is wide open on all four sides. I'm actually kind of hoping that it will break so I will have an excuse to buy a PS3.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby bleach168 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:09 pm

Never had a problem with my PS3. They seem pretty reliable from what I gather.

They are power hogs though, so if you use it a lot then it's going to hurt your wallet a bit.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby sox 06 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:33 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:
sox 06 wrote:-Could buy an extended warranty for the PS3 Normally I don't bother with those things, but if you value an extended warranty, good idea.

I'm don't usually bother with extended warranties either, but with the reliability issues that comes with this generation of consoles, I think they're a good idea. Also, I don't usually buy electronic stuff from Walmart, but I was looking on their site and they offer a 3 year warranty for PS3's for $45 8-o The 2 year warranty for my first 360 that I bought form Circuit City was $79. Also, I know this feature has been removed, but how was the ability to install a Linux OS on the PS3? Was it worth it or was is just too watered down to be useful?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Video Games