Convince Me - PS3 vs XBox 360 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Video Games

Convince Me - PS3 vs XBox 360

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Convince Me - PS3 vs XBox 360

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:11 pm

I have a 360 and a Wii at home and I can say I'm considering getting a PS3 for the Blu-Ray, but I can't seem to find many compelling unique games to buy that aren't on 360 or on Wii. On top of that, I'm not that big of a movie buff and so PS3 is a nice thing to have, but it's not a must-have.

I like the 360 the best of the two. For me, it's always been about the game lineup on that platform. '07 was a knockout year for 360 games and I'm still quite hooked to Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, Mass Effect, Virtua Fighter 5, and Bioshock while I'm also anticipating Turok, GTA4, and Devil May Cry. The arcade games are great when you need a breather from the more "serious" games. I have Xbox Live Gold, but don't see it as a massive value even if you're just an avid gamer, but not an absolute hardcore one; I tend to fall in the former category. I just have money to waste, that's all. !+)

On a side note, I wouldn't overpay for an Elite unless I knew for sure I was going to max it out with downloadable mods and other arcade games (thus the 80GB HD) and the cooling system for the newer 360's (mid-Summer '07 and onward) is pretty good. I bought one in September for my birthday and I've yet to encounter any problems.

I'm with ACS in saying that PC is still the best gaming platform in my opinion, but I'd rather use it for my programming and design needs.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KCollins1304 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:53 pm

PS3 has a good exclusive lineup coming up, including MGS4, MLB:Show 08, and Resistance 2 for 2008 along with shared titles like GTA4. I think the cheapest Blu-ray players are 400, so I think the PS3 is a great deal.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:20 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:PS3 has a good exclusive lineup coming up, including MGS4, MLB:Show 08, and Resistance 2 for 2008 along with shared titles like GTA4. I think the cheapest Blu-ray players are 400, so I think the PS3 is a great deal.

I'm not really up to speed on the whole PS3 lineup, but MGS4 is the one I'm keeping my eye on.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)

Postby CrashOverrid3 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:38 am

Fade.. they surpassed in sales because it sells as a Blu Ray palyer..

A lot of the people buying it could care less about good games.. which is sad
*I created this sig
CrashOverrid3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:56 am

Snakes Gould wrote:who buys a system for today? i want to buy a system that is still going to be valuable to me in 5 years, and more powerful down the road. i just dont get how anyone could say 360 hands down given that ps3 is more powerful and has a very expensive component included (the blu-ray) and doesnt have a $50 membership per year (not to mention isnt flawed to the point, where you may have to ship your system away).

ps i dont own either.

i'd buy the system for today...5 years down the next generation consoles will be out and it wont matter anymore
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby Phatferd » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:16 am

I bought the PS3 for the Blu-Ray player and I love it. I only have one game and that is NCAA Football 2008. I might buy MLB The Show 08 and MGS4, but I grew out of video games about 3 years ago when I was 20/21. Now I am a big movie buff and love my Blu-Rays on my 1080p television with my 5.1 Polk Surround System and my Onkyo 605 receiver.

It's probably why I don't come onto this site anymore, haha.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CheeseBeger » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:38 am

I have one question about PS3. How much wear and tear will be put on it if you watch movies often? Will you have to go buy another PS3 in three years because you play games and watch movies on it and then it craps out? I hear that was a big problem with PS2.

Of course my XBOX died on me for no good reason after three years also.... :-P
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Yoda » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:27 pm

CheeseBeger wrote:I have one question about PS3. How much wear and tear will be put on it if you watch movies often? Will you have to go buy another PS3 in three years because you play games and watch movies on it and then it craps out? I hear that was a big problem with PS2.

Of course my XBOX died on me for no good reason after three years also.... :-P

I still have an original PS2 from when it first came out and it works like a champ. Although I didn't watch a ton of movies on it, I've had the thing for like 10 years and played a TON of games over the years.

I'm glad that I got the PS3. A lot of people I know has an Xbox and they love it but I can't imagine having to pay a subscription just to play games online. I think that is a huge ripoff and I wouldn't support it.

Also the Blue Ray is killer. That alone is worth buying the PS3. I'm happy with GTA 4 and my wife enjoys the Blue Ray movies. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby curious_george_43545 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:18 am

I went with the 360, but it was a fairly close call. 360's game library I think is a little better.
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby NorthSider2 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:18 am

curious_george_43545 wrote:I went with the 360, but it was a fairly close call. 360's game library I think is a little better.

Good choice ;-D ;-D I guarantee you will throughly enjoy it ;-D ;-D
Thanks to soty for the sweet sig

Go Cubs
NorthSider2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games