Convince Me - PS3 vs XBox 360 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Video Games

Convince Me - PS3 vs XBox 360

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Convince Me - PS3 vs XBox 360

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:43 am

I had originally said I was going to buy a system this summer, but this week I sold my PS2 and a bunch of games and controllers and ended up getting $230 in store credit at gamestop. I'm looking to buy the PS3 I'm pretty sure when the new baseball games come out and see what kind of ratings they get on IGN.

I think I'm going to get the 40GB with Spiderman-3 on blu-ray, this seems like the best deal. The 80GB has a couple more ports and a larger hard drive, but I don't see why I would need 80gb of space. That seems like a ton to me, but maybe I'm underestimating how much space the game saves take up. How is anyone dealing with space issues on their PS3?
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fade2White12 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:07 am

From what I've read, the space issues really only come into play if you do a lot of downloading of content from online, such as downloadable games and whatnot. If you save your game here and there, it won't be a problem. 40gb is a LOT of space. Also, you can buy another HD and swap it out of the system if it isn't enough space for you.

But just like you, I'm getting the 40GB in a few days. I'm getting it from Circuit City because it comes with the Blu-Ray remote for free. Other than the additional USBs on the 80 (which would come into play if you played that stupid Rock Band game) and the HD size, the other advantage of the 80 is the backward compatability. The 40 doesn't have the ability to play PS2 games, but since you traded in your games and PS2 that really isn't an issue for you. But since I have a PS2, if I feel the need to play some PS2 games, I can just take out the system. No biggy.

The funny thing is, We've had this 35" Tube TV for the longest time, but our house got struck by lightning two days ago and fried it. So right now, I'm looking into a 52" Sony LCD. This'll be fun :)
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:43 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:From what I've read, the space issues really only come into play if you do a lot of downloading of content from online, such as downloadable games and whatnot. If you save your game here and there, it won't be a problem. 40gb is a LOT of space. Also, you can buy another HD and swap it out of the system if it isn't enough space for you.

But just like you, I'm getting the 40GB in a few days. I'm getting it from Circuit City because it comes with the Blu-Ray remote for free. Other than the additional USBs on the 80 (which would come into play if you played that stupid Rock Band game) and the HD size, the other advantage of the 80 is the backward compatability. The 40 doesn't have the ability to play PS2 games, but since you traded in your games and PS2 that really isn't an issue for you. But since I have a PS2, if I feel the need to play some PS2 games, I can just take out the system. No biggy.

The funny thing is, We've had this 35" Tube TV for the longest time, but our house got struck by lightning two days ago and fried it. So right now, I'm looking into a 52" Sony LCD. This'll be fun :)

I've a regular TV right now, but I'm definitely going to have to pony up for an HDTV this summer. What games are you planning on getting when you buy the system?
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:51 pm

My gaming system has a 500gb hardrive :)
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Fade2White12 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:02 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:I've a regular TV right now, but I'm definitely going to have to pony up for an HDTV this summer. What games are you planning on getting when you buy the system?

To start off, I'm probably going to get a FPS like Turok (I had the first two for N64 and LOVED them). I'm also interested in Assassin's Creed, CoD4, Ratchet and Clank (man those games are fun lol) or Resistance: Fall of Man. In March, MLB the Show comes out so I'll be picking that up for sure, and I'm also pretty stoked on this game called Army of Two.

acsguitar wrote:My gaming system has a 500gb hardrive :)

And 1.) you'll NEVER fill that up with game related saves and 2.) your gaming system will be a lot more expensive than mine. ;-)
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:09 am

KCollins1304 wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:Also, people have a lot of problems with 360's dying with the "red light of doom". My roommate's has done this once, and it sounds like a pretty big problem.

this is also an advantage tho, because you can buy a broken 360 on ebay for like $75 and send it back to microsoft...so the prices even out....still, id go with the ps3.

Can you always send them back to get fixed like a lifetime warranty or is it just for like a year and do you have to have it registered with Msft?

they were having so many problems with them that they just entended it permenantly and without recipt, warranty etc... a friend of mine bought 2 off of ebay for like $125 total and sent them to microsoft, got them back in 3 weeks, and had himself a practically brand new 360 and one for his brother.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:05 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:this is also an advantage tho, because you can buy a broken 360 on ebay for like $75 and send it back to microsoft...so the prices even out....still, id go with the ps3.

Can you always send them back to get fixed like a lifetime warranty or is it just for like a year and do you have to have it registered with Msft?

they were having so many problems with them that they just entended it permenantly and without recipt, warranty etc... a friend of mine bought 2 off of ebay for like $125 total and sent them to microsoft, got them back in 3 weeks, and had himself a practically brand new 360 and one for his brother.

I started looking at these on ebay, what things will Microsoft not fix? I see some that say the seal is broken, there is no sound or video, disc read errors, and the red lights. I'm curious why these people wouldn't get these fixed rather than sell them for a third of their value.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Fade2White12 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:04 am

There obviously is some sort of catch. If it were that easy, individual sellers/companies would buy them instantly and quickly resell them.

I wouldn't look into doing anything like that IMO.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:51 am

Fade2White12 wrote:There obviously is some sort of catch. If it were that easy, individual sellers/companies would buy them instantly and quickly resell them.

I wouldn't look into doing anything like that IMO.

i thought so too, but my friend did it with ease. im not suggesting doing it, merely telling you to do some research on it.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:49 am

I finally bought the PS3 last night, it's sweet. I was low on cash so I didn't buy any games, but I rented MLB07: The Show to keep me busy for a week.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games