Convince Me - PS3 vs XBox 360 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Video Games

Convince Me - PS3 vs XBox 360

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Convince Me - PS3 vs XBox 360

Postby Fade2White12 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:05 am

I plan on buying a one of these consoles within the next few months - and I want someone to convince me to buy one over the other.

This is what I've come up with so far:

PS3 80GB
Pro:
Already wi/fi compatable
More powerful system
Integrated Blu-Ray player
Cons:
Limited game library (what about the future?)
Less HD memory than 360 Elite

360 Elite
Pro:
Best game library (just right now?)
XBox Live
Cons:
Must buy an HD-DVD player for an additional $180
Must buy wi/fi adapter for additional $100

PS3 will be $399-499 out the door.

Xbox 360 will be $350-$450 + 180 (HD DVD) + 100 (wi/fi adapter) = $630-730

I don't do a lot of hardcore online gaming, so XBox live isn't much of a boost in value for me. All in all, I'm leaning towards the PS3.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Convince Me - PS3 vs XBox 360

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:40 am

Good thread, I plan on buying one or the other this summer after I graduate and get a job. I've been trying to see who was going to win the HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray battle, I think blu-ray is ahead by most accounts right now. When they first came out it seemed to me that the PS3 was a lot more expensive, but I guess when you include the cost of Xbox Live and the adapter and the HD-DVD player, it is less expensive. I'm probably leaning to PS3.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Fade2White12 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:48 am

I even forgot about the cost of XBox live ($50) versus PS3's online service (Free).

I actually strolled into EB Games yesterday and asked the guy working there. He said 360 hands down, but proceeded to name off this, and this, and this, and this, and this, that PS3 had over 360. So, as I waited for the punch line, his argument rested on 1.) more games 2.) more people on XBox live. He even told me that Blu-Ray has already won the battle, and that the integrated Blu-Ray player in the PS3 is one, if not the best, Blu-Ray player out right now (which individually cost 400-1500).

Since XBox live isn't that important to me, and many of the sports games I play are multi-console, as well as PS3 beginning to really expand their library with quality games - it just looks like a PS3 is an easy choice.

I need someone to argue the other side. ;-D
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:51 pm

Also, people have a lot of problems with 360's dying with the "red light of doom". My roommate's has done this once, and it sounds like a pretty big problem.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bleach168 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:54 am

If I had to choose right now, I would buy a PS3. The blu-ray alone is worth it.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby Boyakasha » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:36 pm

In my opinion, I don't think it really matters how it looks on paper. I think the system that gets more people using it is the one that wins because they'll attract more developers and get better games. That's why I think the 360 has a significant advantage right now, since it's been available longer.
But, as a general guideline, I'd say buy the system that fits with what kind of games you generally play. I'd ignore the Blu Ray and HDDVD stuff unless that's really important to you. Personally, I don't like to wear down a console by using it for anything other than games.
So, in general, I think Xbox generally attracts more shooter developers because that's the general focus of American audiences and PS3 attracts RPG developers because that's the general focus of the Asian market. Sports games seem to be cross platform, for the most part.
Boyakasha
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Bwanna » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:37 pm

Boyakasha wrote:In my opinion, I don't think it really matters how it looks on paper. I think the system that gets more people using it is the one that wins because they'll attract more developers and get better games. That's why I think the 360 has a significant advantage right now, since it's been available longer.
But, as a general guideline, I'd say buy the system that fits with what kind of games you generally play. I'd ignore the Blu Ray and HDDVD stuff unless that's really important to you. Personally, I don't like to wear down a console by using it for anything other than games.
So, in general, I think Xbox generally attracts more shooter developers because that's the general focus of American audiences and PS3 attracts RPG developers because that's the general focus of the Asian market. Sports games seem to be cross platform, for the most part.

I agree ^.

If you're a sports gamer, you're gonna be able to find games for both, so use the other pros/cons to help you decide, don't worry about which console has 'the most games'.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 257)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:38 pm

PC :)

But if I had to be forced to play an evil console I'd choose PS3
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:56 am

KCollins1304 wrote:Also, people have a lot of problems with 360's dying with the "red light of doom". My roommate's has done this once, and it sounds like a pretty big problem.

this is also an advantage tho, because you can buy a broken 360 on ebay for like $75 and send it back to microsoft...so the prices even out....still, id go with the ps3.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:41 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:Also, people have a lot of problems with 360's dying with the "red light of doom". My roommate's has done this once, and it sounds like a pretty big problem.

this is also an advantage tho, because you can buy a broken 360 on ebay for like $75 and send it back to microsoft...so the prices even out....still, id go with the ps3.

Can you always send them back to get fixed like a lifetime warranty or is it just for like a year and do you have to have it registered with Msft?
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Video Games