Seattle Mariners acquire Bedard! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Seattle Mariners acquire Bedard!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Seattle Mariners acquire Bedard!

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:18 pm

I can't believe BP hasn't posted in this thread yet. It will be interesting to see what the entire haul for the Orioles is and I imagine the Twins are watching as well. This could have just hurt their Santana negotiations.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CadensDad » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:24 pm

Winners of the trade: The M's they give up a prospect and gain a ACE. Hand's down they win

Losers of the trade: Twins Bedard may not quite be Johan but he is close. Now that the bar has been set I don't think the Twins will get anything like they wanted for Johan

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby blamo0 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:28 pm

I really hope Clement is in this deal, and the O's flip him elsewhere.
blamo0
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:30 pm

This is a really good deal for Seattle, if it is Adam Jones and not much for Bedard.

Especially short-term because someone like Wilkerson will produce the same, if not better season then Jones in his first full one.

Bavasi getting a thumbs up? Woah! ;-D ;-D ;-D

Will BP admit that he likes the deal??

By the way Minnesota took waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long to trade Santana, so if this weakens their deal it's their own fault.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby duckbillgates » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:35 pm

Should be a nice boost for Bedard's value, going from the No. 3 hitters' park in 2007 to a nice pitchers' park, plus going to a much weaker division.

Anyone want to make some bold projections?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CadensDad » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:44 pm

Countdown till Santana gets traded....... I say 1 week

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:45 pm

This is great for Bedard, but I still worry about him being able to stay healthy the whole season.

They need to re-sign him though, if they don't, it was just a waste of a trade. Unfortunately, I don't think they can win now. :-/
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Mugrila » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:47 pm

I stand by my earlier sentiments, I am not a fan of the deal. Bedard is good yes, and will add more value to the team this year, but over the next 5 or 6 years Jones would be much better. Lets face it, the M's just don't have the offense to really compete this year regardless of what the pitching staff looks like, and I assume Bedard will likely see what he can get via free agency when the time comes.

A good comparison for the '08 Mariners after the trade would be the '07 Blue Jays. I read this somewhere, though I don't remember where, but it makes a lot of sense to me. I'd say that rotation is comparable to the one the M's should be going with but they just did not have the offense even to really compete. And how does the Jays offense compare to Seattle's? Well I'd argue every position is a push except for the DH where Vidro doesn't even compare to Thomas.

In my eyes a young offensive talent like Jones would add much more to the team than Bedard will over the next few years.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby rookies and cream » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:49 pm

Mugrila wrote:I stand by my earlier sentiments, I am not a fan of the deal. Bedard is good yes, and will add more value to the team this year, but over the next 5 or 6 years Jones would be much better. Lets face it, the M's just don't have the offense to really compete this year regardless of what the pitching staff looks like, and I assume Bedard will likely see what he can get via free agency when the time comes.

A good comparison for the '08 Mariners after the trade would be the '07 Blue Jays. I read this somewhere, though I don't remember where, but it makes a lot of sense to me. I'd say that rotation is comparable to the one the M's should be going with but they just did not have the offense even to really compete. And how does the Jays offense compare to Seattle's? Well I'd argue every position is a push except for the DH where Vidro doesn't even compare to Thomas.

In my eyes a young offensive talent like Jones would add much more to the team than Bedard will over the next few years.

What makes you think Jones is a "can't miss" prospect. You're talking about him as if he's on the same level of J. Upton, Bruce, Rasmus, etc.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby sportsguy138 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:55 pm

Wow. I'm really surprised they didn't get more out of Bedard. Nice deal for Seattle, though.
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 396)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers