24 Wade Townsend
25 Fernando Perez
26 Nevin Ashley
27 Justin Ruggiano
28 Rhyne Hughes
29 Joel Guzman
30 D.J. Jones
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Baseball America

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:15 am

The top 6 or 7 are pretty easy to figure out, but a sleeper at the bottom is DJ Jones. I think he can easily move up to around 10 or so this time next year.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jlm53089 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:23 pm

And that is why we have the number 1 farm system in baseball.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:13 pm

McGee and Davis are 3 A and 3 B in my mind
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:48 am

deerayfan072 wrote:McGee and Davis are 3 A and 3 B in my mind

Depends on how you look at it. I think McGee's ceiling is a bit higher, where as Davis is more of sure thing. With most prospect rankings, the guys with the higher ceilings are ranked a bit higher. If I could only take one though with our current staff at the big league level, my choice would be Davis as I think we need more of the sure thing and a guy that can be from average to good instead of the guy that may be very good or may be below average.

Still though a future staff of

Kazmir
Price
Shields
Niemann
Davis
McGee
Sonny

gives us lots of options for sure.
raiders_umpire

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:51 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:McGee and Davis are 3 A and 3 B in my mind

Depends on how you look at it. I think McGee's ceiling is a bit higher, where as Davis is more of sure thing. With most prospect rankings, the guys with the higher ceilings are ranked a bit higher. If I could only take one though with our current staff at the big league level, my choice would be Davis as I think we need more of the sure thing and a guy that can be from average to good instead of the guy that may be very good or may be below average.

Still though a future staff of

Kazmir
Price
Shields
Niemann
Davis
McGee
Sonny

gives us lots of options for sure.

Definitely. You think McGee becomes a closer in the future? I have read some stuff on that :-?
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:58 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
Definitely. You think McGee becomes a closer in the future? I have read some stuff on that :-?

I really hope not. Relief pitching, while valuable, at the end of the year really doesn't mean that huge of a difference between winning and losing. I would much rather have our 5 best pitchers being our 5 starting pitchers. McGee has huge potential, maybe as much as a very good #2 SP in the bigs. I would hate to waste that in the pen if it meant having 2 or 3 guys in the rotation not as good as McGee. If McGee just doesn't work out then, of course he could become a very solid closer. Heck even Rivera started out as a starter and failed there.
raiders_umpire

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:51 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

I really hope not. Relief pitching, while valuable, at the end of the year really doesn't mean that huge of a difference between winning and losing. I would much rather have our 5 best pitchers being our 5 starting pitchers. McGee has huge potential, maybe as much as a very good #2 SP in the bigs. I would hate to waste that in the pen if it meant having 2 or 3 guys in the rotation not as good as McGee. If McGee just doesn't work out then, of course he could become a very solid closer. Heck even Rivera started out as a starter and failed there.

We have a lot of young stud pitchers. They are going to have to make some decisions on some of them in the future. I honestly believe that Kaz will be not be signed to a long term deal because he wants too much money and we will have him until his Arbitration years are over. We will need these other guys to pan out in the rotation if that does happen.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:48 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
We have a lot of young stud pitchers. They are going to have to make some decisions on some of them in the future. I honestly believe that Kaz will be not be signed to a long term deal because he wants too much money and we will have him until his Arbitration years are over. We will need these other guys to pan out in the rotation if that does happen.

I have a feeling that Kaz is going to have such a huge 2008 that the front office will have no choice but to pay him up at the end of the year. I imagine then Davis will become the trade bait, I just hope he gets a chance to prove himself at the major league level this year so we can get a good return on that investment.
raiders_umpire

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:59 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

I have a feeling that Kaz is going to have such a huge 2008 that the front office will have no choice but to pay him up at the end of the year. I imagine then Davis will become the trade bait, I just hope he gets a chance to prove himself at the major league level this year so we can get a good return on that investment.

I think he will have a huge year as well. I just don't see them spending that much on one player. I hope I am wrong, but even with all the money they have started to spend, they have maintained that they are a small market team and cannot afford to pay a lot for one player. They look for bargains.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Tampa Bay Rays