Minor League Draft - Who are the next impact fantasy stars? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Minor League Draft - Who are the next impact fantasy stars?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Minor League Draft - Who are the next impact fantasy stars?

Postby jonance » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:23 pm

Hey all..have a minor league draft coming up. Looking for the next Ryan Braun types....i know some obvious ones like Jay Bruce, etc...and it is a keeper so some aren't available....but out of the following who do you think will burst onto the scene in similar fashion. It's an OPS League so i'd like guys with some pop. Also i've added a few pitchers so i'd consider taking one of them as well.

Wladimir Balentien
Chase Headley
Carlos Triunfel
Fernando Martinez
Travis Snider
Matt LaPorta
Carlos Gonzalez
Brandon Jones
Mike Moustakas
David Price
Carlos Gomez
Manny Parra
Ryan Sweeney
Steven Pearce
Matt Antonelli
jonance
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: 34)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Minor League Draft - Who are the next impact fantasy stars?

Postby MaudDib » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:42 pm

It's not likely that there will be another "Braun type season" for the next couple years and even less likely to be able to pick that player out. No one saw that type of season from Braun and many didn't even know if he would play in the majors because of his defense. The top two guys I like on your list are Price and Snider but I don't think you will see either of them this season. I also like Moustakas but again not for this year. Headley put up some good numbers in the minors and from what I have heard is the one most likely to have a full time job this coming year.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Jackalope » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:08 pm

The majority of those listed will have little to no impact this upcoming 2008 season.

Snider #1
Price #2 (Will likely pitch some in the Majors this season --- Aug or Sept)

Guys like Moustakos, Fernando martinez, and Truinfel are good tallent, but several years away.

Headley - is the most likely to have an impact with the bat this season. I would not hold my breath for a Braun type season --- he playes half of his games in SD --- Braun type seasons come around once every what.... years?

If I were to draft I'd draft for Snider (looking at Bruce potential following next season) and Price as the top 'almost MLB ready arm on an improving TB team.

Good luck
Jackalope
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:56 pm

Yeah, the 2 names that jump out at me are definitely Snider and Price. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby auclairkeithbc » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:26 am

Moustakas, as long as you can wait until 2010.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stealthdevil » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:12 pm

If your just looking at the 2008 season then the guys in bold below are the only ones I'd consider. They're all pretty good prospects and could have some impact in '08. I'd say Headley and Pearce pack the most pop out of those guys. Antonelli could give you a solid bat and 2B eligibility though, if that helps in your league. The guys I listed at the bottom could sniff the big leagues in '08, but not until late. However, they may be able to help if you go into the playoff w/ them fighting for a roster spot. Of the guys you listed I'd say Price and Moustakas are the top 2 prospects. Moustakas has a chance to stay at SS where he could be a huge impact fantasy player. Snider is also an elite prospect, but he's 19 years old, 5'9" and something like 250lbs. I'd bet about anything that he'll end up as a DH if his body can even handle that.

Chase Headley
Brandon Jones
Carlos Gomez
Manny Parra
Steven Pearce
Matt Antonelli

Matt LaPorta
Carlos Gonzalez
David Price
Travis Snider
stealthdevil
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AEMRICH » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:00 pm

jonance wrote:Hey all..have a minor league draft coming up. Looking for the next Ryan Braun types....i know some obvious ones like Jay Bruce, etc...and it is a keeper so some aren't available....but out of the following who do you think will burst onto the scene in similar fashion. It's an OPS League so i'd like guys with some pop. Also i've added a few pitchers so i'd consider taking one of them as well.

Wladimir Balentien- Loads of power
Chase Headley- Likely will play this year
Carlos Triunfel- great talent very young though
Fernando Martinez- i like F-Mart but he hasn't shown that much yet- high potential guy but risky of reaching is ceiling
Travis Snider- power beast i don't think he does anything this year but next year watch out
Matt LaPorta- i get the feeling the Brewers might give him a shot later in the year
Carlos Gonzalez- solid player will likely play this year
Brandon Jones- decent guy IMO nothing special 4th OF type
Mike Moustakas- 2010 maybe sept. call up in 09
David Price- look for a callup this sept. nice spot start maybe this year
Carlos Gomez- i bet he starts in Minn. if he leaves up to the hype could be a potential 25/40 guy but i have my doubts
Manny Parra- think he would be better fit as a dominant closer, he will be in the bigs the entire year i think likely relief and spot start
Ryan Sweeney- don't see him amounting to much
Steven Pearce- i'd imagine he plays a decent amount this year, a little older though i believe
Matt Antonelli- good power, good speed, good avg 2B, only negatives a little old 24 in april, pitcher friendly petco park

College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Return to Minor League & College Baseball