McLaren: "Ichiro could steal 80" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

McLaren: "Ichiro could steal 80"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: McLaren: "Ichiro could steal 80"

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:50 pm

eftda wrote:2001: 56
2002: 31
2003: 34
2004: 36
2005: 33
2006: 45
2007:37
2008: 30-35

He's stolen over 50 just once. He's 34 years old. I doubt he receives a "2nd wind." :-t

He's a very selective stealer. He tends to go for sure things. If he widens his choices to more opportunities, he'll get a lot more SBs, but CS'ed slightly more also.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CadensDad » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:57 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:
eftda wrote:2001: 56
2002: 31
2003: 34
2004: 36
2005: 33
2006: 45
2007:37
2008: 30-35

He's stolen over 50 just once. He's 34 years old. I doubt he receives a "2nd wind." :-t

He's a very selective stealer. He tends to go for sure things. If he widens his choices to more opportunities, he'll get a lot more SBs, but CS'ed slightly more also.

I say 45 would be max

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Field » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:09 pm

We almost need a sticky thread for all of this SB speculation. I guess this is what managers stew over in the offseason. I mean, anything 'could' happen, I want to know what is highly likely to happen. 80 isn't all that likely for a player of his age. I could see increasing his SB projection by 5-10 bags, but I wouldn't draft him expecting much more than that.

Ichiro is definitely one of the gems of baseball, absolutely fantastic to watch. I've never really valued him all that highly in fantasy as I tend to side towards the more power-laden players. That said, I really don't see a whole lot of difference (value-wise) between him and Carl Crawford who seems to get drafted a full round before Ichiro. I know Crawford is the sexier pick since he still qualifies as the "upside" play due to his age; however, I haven't really seen much power progression over the past few years. I'd actual prefer Ichiro to Crawford for 2008 season especially since Ichiro has the ability to hit for that freakishly high average.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:25 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:80 would be insane but Ichiro's just a freak, I would not be surprised if he could pull it off if that was an official team goal.

Pigs will be seen flying around the Space Needle, before this happens. Johns trying to build fan enthusiasm, or he's got a serious drinking problem.

Yeah, it's not actually going to happen, but I thought Jimmy Rollins declaring the Phillies as the team to beat over the Mets last season was just a method of building fan enthusiasm after narrowly missing the playoffs in 2006 and then we know what happened there. :-/
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:38 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:Yeah, it's not actually going to happen, but I thought Jimmy Rollins declaring the Phillies as the team to beat over the Mets last season was just a method of building fan enthusiasm after narrowly missing the playoffs in 2006 and then we know what happened there. :-/

Rollins popping off won him a mvp, no doubt, as his numbers didn't. One look at 2006 however, shows that while Philly finished 12 games back, it really was only 5 games, using (Pythagorian win-loss record). NYM were lucky in 2006. A 5 game swing, isn't like the USA beating Russia.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Y`s Guy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:13 am

Back around November 10th Ichiro received a Hitori Hanzo sword. I feel that he can now achieve anything that he wants now. Once people hear about the sword who is going to stop him? The Crazy 88's? Black Mamba? Jared Saltalamachia?
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 276)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby AKhomebrewer » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:28 am

Ender wrote:...
I'm really more interested in the Betancourt comments since he is a boredline viable MI and even 5 or 6 more SB could push him into a little bit of a sleeper in deeper leagues.

Good observation of this article. Everybody's already targeting Ichiro somewhere relatively early in their drafts, and his slot won't change dramatically based upon this kind of report. But, if McLaren's not simply blowing preseason smoke (always a possibility) and these imported coaches have an impact, Betancourt could be a nice sleeper pick at MI.
Speed hasn't been holding him back; he entered the league with a lack of refinement in reading pitchers, timing, and the other mental aspects of basestealing that separate the quick from the elite. Perhaps some of that can be trained into him ... ?
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon May 12, 2008 6:00 pm

Through 161 at-bats, Ichiro has 16 stolen bases. Through the arbitrary magic of extrapolating at-bats, He would finish with 67 if he kept up his current pace with as many at-bats as last year.

And you all thought Ichiro threatening 80 was hearsay. :-b
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Ender » Mon May 12, 2008 6:14 pm

Ichiro stole 13 bases last May too and then less every month after that, 9, 7. 6.

I still am a doubter, as the year wears on he'll run less.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon May 12, 2008 6:17 pm

Ender wrote:Ichiro stole 13 bases last May too and then less every month after that, 9, 7. 6.

I still am a doubter, as the year wears on he'll run less.

Everyone should be a doubter but this particularly torrid May could put him ahead of last year's curve when he starts slowing down so he could get back into the 40s.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers