Baseball Prospectus 2008 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baseball Prospectus 2008

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Baseball Prospectus 2008

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:55 pm

BUCCOFAN wrote:Mine arrived today on my doorstep.....Love the book, been buying it for the past 5 plus seasons.

It has everything you need, and even some comedy added to some player write ups, this one caught my eye.

"Its is said that the specter of Hee Seop Choi now haunts the upper deck of Great American Ball Park, trying to warn Joey Votto about how Dusty Baker killed his career. The parellels -- big, young, foreign, (Votto's is Canadian :-b ) power and patient first basemen." :-D

If anyone is hesitant in buying this "Bible" of a Baseball Book....DON'T, It's a Fine Read.....

Yes, I'd but it even if there wasn't a single stat in it. The player comments are excellent, and if you are an avid baseball fan, you get all the inside jokes and references they make. If I remember correctly, one of the comps for Julio Franco one year was "Methuselah".
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tuckerman85 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:20 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
BUCCOFAN wrote:Mine arrived today on my doorstep.....Love the book, been buying it for the past 5 plus seasons.

It has everything you need, and even some comedy added to some player write ups, this one caught my eye.

"Its is said that the specter of Hee Seop Choi now haunts the upper deck of Great American Ball Park, trying to warn Joey Votto about how Dusty Baker killed his career. The parellels -- big, young, foreign, (Votto's is Canadian :-b ) power and patient first basemen." :-D

If anyone is hesitant in buying this "Bible" of a Baseball Book....DON'T, It's a Fine Read.....

Yes, I'd but it even if there wasn't a single stat in it. The player comments are excellent, and if you are an avid baseball fan, you get all the inside jokes and references they make. If I remember correctly, one of the comps for Julio Franco one year was "Methuselah".

It was gain this year, but in another person's right up... Can't remember who, but its in the first 200 pages of the book (thats as far as I've made it).
tuckerman85
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby makewayhomer » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:29 pm

jfg wrote:If you've read Fantasyland you'll know what I'm talking about- especially Joe Sheehan.

yeah but Joe Sheehan is a goof
makewayhomer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby cards05 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:00 pm

Is it worth buying the book if you are an online subscriber? I'm not seeing any comments on the Pecota cards, which is dissapointing. So, if the book has them, I may spring for it. Any advice would be appreciated.
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dobie76 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:06 pm

I too, have only subscribed online, and while I enjoy printing out the weighted means projections, does anybody know if there is a page on the site itself that ranks players by their position and their projected '08 stats? That's been the biggest thing lacking for me. I think they do a great job in the forecasting....
"We've got half a pack of cigarette's, a full tank of gas, it's a hundred miles to Chicago, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses . . . Hit It."
[url]http://www.freewebs.com/giantsfan14/index.html[/url]
dobie76
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jfg » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:28 pm

The Player Forecast Manager does that on the fantasy page and adjusts for playing time and your league settings.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby Pedros Little Friend » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:41 am

cards05 wrote:Is it worth buying the book if you are an online subscriber? I'm not seeing any comments on the Pecota cards, which is dissapointing. So, if the book has them, I may spring for it. Any advice would be appreciated.

i was wondering this as well. i actually got a fantasy online subscription in lieu of the book but am disappointed the comments aren't up. is that just a delay or does bp not update the comments online player cards until the subsequent year?

like the pfm a lot though.
Pedros Little Friend
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cards05 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:13 am

Pedros Little Friend wrote:
cards05 wrote:Is it worth buying the book if you are an online subscriber? I'm not seeing any comments on the Pecota cards, which is dissapointing. So, if the book has them, I may spring for it. Any advice would be appreciated.

i was wondering this as well. i actually got a fantasy online subscription in lieu of the book but am disappointed the comments aren't up. is that just a delay or does bp not update the comments online player cards until the subsequent year?

Will somebody please answer us? Online, I get tons of numbers and graphs about a player, but I do not get any "author's comments." Do you guys get that in " the book?" If you do, are those comments worth an additional purchase?
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:31 am

cards05 wrote:
Pedros Little Friend wrote:

Will somebody please answer us? Online, I get tons of numbers and graphs about a player, but I do not get any "author's comments." Do you guys get that in " the book?" If you do, are those comments worth an additional purchase?

The book has comments about each player, noting their history, progress through the minors for younger players, other things like "Cut him [J.D. Drew] some slack; he spent much of the summer worried about his year old son who required surgery on both his collarbone and hip in July. Drew is a strong bounceback candidate" (BP 2008, p. 61) . The book is broken down by team, w/ an introductory article about the direction the team is going, often some historical analysis about how they have spent money, if they got their money's worth and, if they got burnt, did they learn their lesson and what sort of direction they are moving in, whether it's good or ludicrous.

There is quite a bit of baseball related humor as well as both players and teams who make bad choices will get razzed for it, with plenty of evidence slathered on to support these contentions. Stuff like "The Mitchell Report provided evidence that he [Jack Cust] was dumb enough to actually write checks when getting himself involved in alleged nefarious activities". A couple of years ago the bit about Scott Podsednik 'gets breaks on balls like Star Jones' cracked me up too. There are too many funny things to provide quotes of them all but some of them will make you laugh out loud.

It is $13.17 or something like that at Amazon and I got it for 30% off w/ the Borders coupon of the week. That's about the price of two fantasy mags and it is clearly worth it, b/c of the depth of explanation of why they are projecting directions for each player.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:10 am

Yeah, I agree. The book does not provide vital information for fantasy purposes, but it does give a bit of context for the projections, and is entertaining as well. Sometimes the comments will even disagree with the projection, noting places where they think PECOTA gets it wrong. And, given the price, it's worth it.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers