Baseball Prospectus 2008 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baseball Prospectus 2008

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Baseball Prospectus 2008

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:44 pm

when are they supposed to be in the big bookstores (Border's, Barnes & Noble, etc.)?
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Field » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:56 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:when are they supposed to be in the big bookstores (Border's, Barnes & Noble, etc.)?

I picked one up from a B&N last week. I think supply is somewhat of a problem though.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Giambis » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:25 pm

Got my preordered copy yesterday. This book is awesome.
Giambis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tuckerman85 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:29 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:Shout out to anyone who received their pre-ordered copy of BP 08 today......and then promptly locked themselves in their room for the next 10 days ;-D

Who needs college anyway?

The guy NOT going to classes this week,

Jake_harv88

Hahaha, I've done the exact same thing for the past few days... with the exception of a few hours of COD4, this book has owned my life (and I was glancing at it while i was playing)...
tuckerman85
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:37 pm

converge241 wrote:all hail the BP book..have been getting them since 02

site is great as well of course

I will second that motion! I just take breaks from mine to check around here every day. Reading it is pure fun.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Wharton93 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:10 pm

They are kind of clownish in how they produce the book, and it comes out too late to fully appreciate. There's not a ton of good reasons it couldn't be done 2 weeks sooner. And the PECOTA in the book get trumped by what's available on the website. It's a book that would own in mid January---but as it is, they are trickling it out to consumers at the end of February and into early March---so if your draft is soon, you'll need to cram it all down and that's a shame.
Wharton93
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:25 pm

Wharton93 wrote:They are kind of clownish in how they produce the book, and it comes out too late to fully appreciate. There's not a ton of good reasons it couldn't be done 2 weeks sooner. And the PECOTA in the book get trumped by what's available on the website. It's a book that would own in mid January---but as it is, they are trickling it out to consumers at the end of February and into early March---so if your draft is soon, you'll need to cram it all down and that's a shame.

They mentioned on their website that it is done earlier and it's more the fault of the book industry that it takes a while to get out. While it does annoy me every year, the cramming is kind of like a big hit of baseball crack right when the monkey is all over your back.... ;-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:40 pm

Wharton93 wrote:They are kind of clownish in how they produce the book, and it comes out too late to fully appreciate. There's not a ton of good reasons it couldn't be done 2 weeks sooner. And the PECOTA in the book get trumped by what's available on the website. It's a book that would own in mid January---but as it is, they are trickling it out to consumers at the end of February and into early March---so if your draft is soon, you'll need to cram it all down and that's a shame.

FWIW, I don't think they give a shit about anyone's fantasy draft. Their goal is not to put out a book for fantasy baseball, but one that provides a detailed analysis, along with some good writing, on thousands of players, all major league teams, and strategic issues in baseball that can be understand through the use of statistics.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:53 pm

Here's a link to the BP announcements about the deliver that I was referring to. It appears that perhaps they do recognize that they have something that we may perceive a heightened need for, c'mon man, it's not addictive, everyone's doin' it, it's cool!

"February 21, 2008, 11:32 PM ET
Baseball Prospectus 2008 Shipping News

by Steven Goldman

Due to some scattered shipping dates quoted by various on-line book retailers, we’ve received many inquiries from readers as to just when they can expect to receive their copies of Baseball Prospectus 2008. Sadly, we’re not told much more about this than anyone else; when you publish a book, it’s a bit like sending your kid off to school, only the school refuses to tell you when they’ll be coming home.

That said, we’re hearing that Amazon should start filling orders very shortly. The books are out there: we’ve glimpsed them, the retailers have them, and it’s just a question of them gearing up their massive delivery apparatus and getting the books out the door and onto the shelves. We understand your impatience because we share it."
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Wharton93 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:31 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:

FWIW, I don't think they give a shit about anyone's fantasy draft. Their goal is not to put out a book for fantasy baseball, but one that provides a detailed analysis, along with some good writing, on thousands of players, all major league teams, and strategic issues in baseball that can be understand through the use of statistics.

I'm sure they do give a shit about people's fantasy draft since they, like, sell books at this time of the year for money and specifically sell books with projections for 2008 in them and I'm sure they like money. They'd get more of this money if they produced the book 2 weeks earlier. They don't go to press until January and then it's all rush-rush at this time of year and it happens every year. They have a book tour starting this Friday and still have production issues (hence the multiple posts from Goldman). Pitchers and catchers reported weeks ago, games have already started and they're still working it all out. Regardless of giving a shit about a fantasy draft, they'd sell more books and make more money if they had it on time for book tours and spring training. As it is, by not having it available until right about now (and having it trickle it out here and there, some people have it, some don't), they lose out on a good chunk of sales. Nobody buys these books in April so the window is short as is. As for the bulk of the statistical content in the book, its mostly available online via paid subscription (there's that pesky money thing again)---and more up-to-date so parts of the book are stale the day after they send it to the printer. And if parts of it are going to be stale---they should just have it done a little sooner. It is a very useful book (and a great website), and over 600 pages---not something that can be easily read and digested in a day. They'd sell a lot more copies and the marketplace would be much happier, if they had it out a few weeks ago. As it is, there's a chunk of the universe that won't buy the book and that's their own fault. I think it's a bit clownish of an approach to serving a market.
Wharton93
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers