O.Cabrera, Furcal, Berroa - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

O.Cabrera, Furcal, Berroa

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

O.Cabrera, Furcal, Berroa

Postby slowkidz » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:29 am

How much of a difference is there between these three SS?

Does Vlad leaving Montreal have any effect on Cabrera?

Can Furcal keep his numbers up without Lopez, Sheff and Castilla?

Does anyone think Berroa can mirror his results from 2003?

Am I asking too many questions? :-? :-b
beep....beep
slowkidz
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: O.Cabrera, Furcal, Berroa

Postby DieHardCubbie » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:40 am

slowkidz wrote:Am I asking too many questions? :-? :-b

Probably Slow...but we forgive you for that.... :-b

Value wise I would go with Berroa....I think he will drop a little further than the other two.....I think Furcal/Cabrera are close...but will go earlier.....so IMO...I would go with Berroa later....and take another option in the earlier rounds.... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tlef316 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:49 am

alot of people rank furcal at the top of those 3. i actually have him as 3rd best on that list. i certainly dont see him hitting that many home runs again and he wont score as many runs without javy and shef.

Cabrera- Solid 5 cat guy
Berroa- Possible soph slump, but could be a top 5 SS
Furcal- he'll still put up very solid stats, but i think he is due for a dropoff.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Jer19G » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:53 am

I have them:

Furcal
Cabrera
Berroa

Furcal's value will drop off from last year without all the great hitting around him, but I don't think it will be a huge drop off. I put Cabrera before Berroa because I am not completely sold on Berroa. Although Berroa could be a 5 cat next year.
Demon Days
Jer19G
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby grammysboy » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:59 am

Heard an interview with Royals GM Alard Baird yesterday and they were asking if he thought Berroa was a candidate for a sophomore slump. His response was that he and Tony (Pena) have been in constant contact with Angel during the off-season and they have really pushed him to keep his mind on baseball.

Baird mentioned that young players, especially ones who have been named ROY have lots of distractions (card shows, conferences, etc.) and it is important to "stay on them" to ensure thay are focused on the important thing - baseball.

There may be a little slump this season, but with Beltran back and the addition of Gonzalez, I look for Berroa to be every bit as good as last year. A healthy Sweeney wouldn't hurt anything either.

Baird was non commital about Angel batting in the lead-of spot. They tried him there a few times last season and it seemed to work pretty well, but they also used Aaron Guiel (a name most people don't even know), as their lead off batter and he may retain the position.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ferris182 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:32 am

Jer19G wrote:I have them:

Furcal
Cabrera
Berroa

Furcal's value will drop off from last year without all the great hitting around him, but I don't think it will be a huge drop off. I put Cabrera before Berroa because I am not completely sold on Berroa. Although Berroa could be a 5 cat next year.

This is how I rank them too! ;-D
ferris182
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby guest » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:36 pm

I don't have any solid numbers or facts, but I had Cabrera on my team last year and specifically remember him scoring better when Vlad wasn't in the lineup. He stole more as well (I'd assume since the odds of Vlad getting a base hit were pretty good). I'm not completely up to date on all the moves they've made in the off season, but I still think he'll be batting in the 3-4 spot and should be in a good position to steal some bases as well.

I think Furcal is definitely do for a drop off. Although the Jones boys are great at the plate, I think with Sheff gone he's going to see a definite drop in his numbers.

Friendliness: %

Postby Madison » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:45 pm

Furcal
Cabrera
Berroa

That's how I rank them too. Berroa will probably fall a round or two later than the other two, so he would be a better value pick. All three of them I rank pretty close on overall worth, so the one you can get the latest is the best value pick of the three. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:01 pm

grammysboy wrote:Heard an interview with Royals GM Alard Baird yesterday and they were asking if he thought Berroa was a candidate for a sophomore slump.

I hate that phrase. In history, only 35% of 2nd year players decreased. Which means 65%, non sophomore slumped. :-D

Cabrera most underrated ss
Berroa
Furcal
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:04 pm

Cabrera --

2001: Good healthy year
2002: Bad year
2003: Good healthy year
2004: Your turn to guess.....

Berroa
Furcal
Cabrera

Friendliness: %

Next