setting up auction draft league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

setting up auction draft league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

setting up auction draft league

Postby georgiadawg » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:48 am

this might be a topic that goes in the Beginners Forum, but i have been playing fantasy baseball for about five years so i borught it over here instead....

this year one of my leagues wants to go auction draft-style.

I imagine that there are probably several variations of how a league can go about this. my question for the Cafe is simple: Are there any good (and free) websites i might visit in order to educate myself on how to set up an auction league?

also, any helpful tips are welcomed.
georgiadawg
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Re: setting up auction draft league

Postby georgiadawg » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:03 pm

i may not have been clear on my initial post.

i realize that the actual auction draft process is fairly simple and straight forward. what i am looking for is information on the different ways to set up the league in order to handle salary caps and the free agent biding process....

thanks!
georgiadawg
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby studepaber » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:29 pm

I'm in a keeper league on CBS Sportsline. You have to pay for their service but it's definitely worth it if there are at least 10 teams in your league. What we do is have our auction offline (keep track of our salaries and keepers), then the commissioner enters the info on the website. Free agency is handled where each team gets $200 to bid on free agents for the year, free agents are won by the highest bidder through weekly auctions (and free agents that weren't originally drafted have salaries of $1). The CBS website keeps track of your total salary and will warn you if you have exceeded your cap (from trading, etc.). Hope that helps!
studepaber
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 30)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dmendro » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:22 pm

Personally, I don't think a FAAB is the way to go for an auction league with a salary cap. We do our FA's on Sportsline with the blind auction, but you have no limit to what you can spend. The limit is your salary cap. You can't go over your salary cap, so you have that much to spend on any one player (we set the FAAB to like 1000 for the year to accomodate this). however, for rookies and waiver wire pick ups, it behooves you to try and keep salaries down because you would then have to keep the player for how ever much you bid on them (if you wanted to keep them that is).

anyway, here are the basics you need to establish:

Salary Cap. I think most leagues have a 23 man roster and generally you see a $260 salary cap. that works out to about $11 a slot. If you have larger or smaller roster, add and subtract accordingly.

Minimum value: $1 is generally the rule. Don't have zero value players. It messes up keeper values. Even MLB has a minimum!

Keeper Values: Don't let these be static. Incrementing these is essential. Some leagues keep them static, and just have contracts where after the player must go to the FA pool for the draft. I don't like that personally. If you increment salariees (either a 5/5/5... or 5/10/15... type of scenario), you end up with a much more fluid economy giving people strategic choices in who's kept rather then knowing flat out, player X will be kept until their contract expires.

Number of keepers: Just as important as the above. To me the draft is the most fun part of the league! Keep it fun by minmizing the number of keepers, and keeping the draft pool fluid. 3 or 5 are good numbers.

We also allow trading salary cap. Our salary cap is $300. So, if I want to trade A-Rod $44 for Ryan Howard $27, I can throw in $5 salary cap for next year, to even the money out. The following year, the other team has $305 to spend on keepers and the draft. We cap the ammount of salary you can trade. You can never get below $270 available cap for next year, to prevent people from selling next year short in order to win this year, and then quitting the league after winning. To further enforce this, we require a $20 real money deposit for the next year in order to trade salary cap.
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Matthias » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:04 pm

All that is good advice.

Things I would chip in...
You can use a FAAB or a waiver process for free agents. Personally, I don't think it matters that much. Waivers with a defined number of pickups (we use 60/season) works fine. If you want the additional strategy of using FAAB, go for it. And I do like the idea of using someone's FAAB # as their salary.

Give some flexibility, but not limitless, in post-auction salaries. I say somewhere around 20%-25% over the auction budget. So if you use $260 as your auction budget, limit the in-season salary cap to $300 - $310. It forces some financial considerations while still giving some flexibility to do at least 1 or 2 cheap keepers (if you do keepers) for expensive veterans trades. I would do this even if you do the FAAB method where their FAAB # is their salary although I'd probably increase in-season salaries up even more to accommodate, up to 40% or so above the auction limits, to give a little more flexibility.

We don't allow trading of salary cap space: I'm not opposed to it in principle. But you do run into the problem of making sure the player comes back the next year and then you have to remember how much everyone has and eh.... just seemed like more hassle than it was worth. Definitely a possibility if you think you're up for it, though.

Any other questions in particular?
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cold Chicken » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:38 pm

I have a few questions regarding an existing keeper league and changing it over to the auction process.

1) What would you recommend using as the salary or auction value of the players kept from last year's roster?

2) In not sure I am completely understanding the in-season salary cap structure. I get that you would use an auction cap ($260 for this example) and then people are recommending anywhere from $300 to $1000 for in-season acquisitions. Where I get confused is what is your total cap and do you use the auction value for your players against that cap (300-1000), or is it more like that 300-1000 is just a limit on what you can spend in season with no bearing on the cap. (i just confused myself more by typing this question)

3) What values are used moving into the next season (2009 in this case)? Do you maintain your in-season cap into next year?

I have more questions, but they may be answered in the responses I get to this post, so I'll save them
Cold Chicken
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Matthias » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:38 pm

Cold Chicken wrote:I have a few questions regarding an existing keeper league and changing it over to the auction process.

1) What would you recommend using as the salary or auction value of the players kept from last year's roster?

As a league, choose one source for values, either a magazine or website. Use those values but subtract out $3 or $5 a player to create value for players kept. I suppose you could also use 2007 auction values without an adjustment which is a bit more realistic... either way, it doesn't really matter, as long as everyone is on board with an agreed-upon method.

Cold Chicken wrote:2) In not sure I am completely understanding the in-season salary cap structure. I get that you would use an auction cap ($260 for this example) and then people are recommending anywhere from $300 to $1000 for in-season acquisitions. Where I get confused is what is your total cap and do you use the auction value for your players against that cap (300-1000), or is it more like that 300-1000 is just a limit on what you can spend in season with no bearing on the cap. (i just confused myself more by typing this question)

Well, there's two different caps that people are talking about.

The first is a FAAB (Free Agent Acquisition Budget) cap. That is if you want to let free agents, during the season, go via auctions instead of waivers.

The second is an in-season salary cap, using the auction values that you got in the draft. It is common to have some sort of limit, although it should be higher than the $260. The idea is that you want to create some constraints so one team can't just get all the high-priced players dumped into their roster and trade awa the future... you create a limit. I would recommend anywhere between $290 to $310 if your auction limit is $260. So that allows people to take on an additional $30 to $50 in auction salary. It creates a limit to all the things that can be traded without being overly constrictive.

Cold Chicken wrote:3) What values are used moving into the next season (2009 in this case)? Do you maintain your in-season cap into next year?

I have more questions, but they may be answered in the responses I get to this post, so I'll save them

Maybe it's best to simply go through the steps.
1) Players are assigned keeper prices via a common source, described above.
2) Teams (generally simultaneously or to the commissioner) announce who it is they're keeping.
3) You go to the auction where everyone has $260 to spend, minus the total price of their keepers.
4) Season starts. People have an in-season salary cap of whatever, say $310.
5) People trade, people pick up waiver wire guys, etc., etc. They just have to keep their team salary under $310 so if they trade a $1 player for a $50 player, they can't take on any more salary without trading an equal value away.
6) Season ends. Someone wins. Yay.
7) Player values go up. You should announce ahead of time what your escalations are... I recommend an increasing escalation. We use $3 the first year, $5 the second year, and $10 every year after that (all those values are cumulative so it's really $3, $8, $18, etc.). You can work out what increases feel right to you.
8) Teams look at their rosters and figure out who has the most value to be kept.
9) Teams announce keepers.
10) Go back to step 3.

Make sense?
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cold Chicken » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:46 pm

Make sense?

Perfect sense. Thanks a ton.

One more question. Do you normally put rules in place about someone picking up a player they dropped? Say I overspend on a guy like Chris Duncan and spend some crazy number, for this case we'll say $25. During the season, I am positive that in a waiver auction I could snag him for $7.

Is there, or should there be, a rule that says i can't drop him to get the cap space back and then try to pick him up off waivers for less $$?
Cold Chicken
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Matthias » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:48 pm

Cold Chicken wrote:One more question. Do you normally put rules in place about someone picking up a player they dropped? Say I overspend on a guy like Chris Duncan and spend some crazy number, for this case we'll say $25. During the season, I am positive that in a waiver auction I could snag him for $7.

Is there, or should there be, a rule that says i can't drop him to get the cap space back and then try to pick him up off waivers for less $$?

I would say no matter how you deal with keeper prices of people off of waivers, players purchased in the auction have that value for the entire season and going into next if they're kept. Otherwise you could conceivably have some guy at the end of the season when everyone else has used up their FAAB, drop all of his players and then pick them up again for $2 or some nonsense.

Another thing you could do would be to tack a finder's fee onto anyone purchased via FAAB vs. the auction. You want to encourage people to think ahead and be rewarded for drafting somebody vs. just picking up the next great thing that comes out of the minors so you could take a $5 keeper surcharge to anyone who came off of the WW.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cold Chicken » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:53 pm

What site do you use for your auction style leagues? CBS does not integrate their FAAB with the salaries for players, so it becomes a mess when people try to pick up players that go over their cap. Do you know of any sites that this works properly?
Cold Chicken
T-Ball Trainer

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers