Postby rookies and cream » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:09 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Baseball America is predicting:

1. Rays - Tim Beckham, SS, Griffin (GA) HS
2. Pirates - Pedro Alvarez, 3B, Vanderbilt
3. Royals - Aaron Crow, RHP, Missouri
4. Orioles - Brian Matusz, LHP, San Diego
5. Giants - Justin Smoak, 1B, South Carolina

For what it's worth. :-D

I hear Posh Beckham and Eva Longoria have recently begun to hang out. It would sure be nice if their baseball counterparts (Evan & Tim) were on the same team as well. :-D

Seriously though, I think the Rays would be crazy to pass on Pedro Alvarez. Future stud... ;-D
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: DRAFT

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:15 pm

I remember reading that Beckham is comparable to BJ Upton, but I assume that's not referencing his glove. !+)
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:51 pm

rookies and cream wrote:

I hear Posh Beckham and Eva Longoria have recently begun to hang out. It would sure be nice if their baseball counterparts (Evan & Tim) were on the same team as well. :-D

Seriously though, I think the Rays would be crazy to pass on Pedro Alvarez. Future stud... ;-D

:-b

I agree, Alvarez is a one of kind talent. But this is what BA said about that pick:

1. Tampa Bay Rays. For a team that never has won more than 70 games in a season, the Rays don't have as many glaring long-term needs as you might think, because they've done a good job with most of their premium draft picks and have the game's best farm system. That said, teams picking at the top of the draft rarely base their picks on need. Tampa Bay is going to take whoever it deems is the best player available, unless the asking price is really out of whack.
The Rays have a lot of quality pitching coming through their pipeline, but teams always want more and they could opt for one of the top college arms, Missouri righthander Aaron Crow or San Diego lefty Brian Matusz. Tampa Bay has gone with pitchers with three of its last four top picks, so my gut feel is they'll be more inclined to go for a bat. It says here they'll opt for Georgia high school shortstop Tim Beckham over Vanderbilt third baseman Pedro Alvarez because Beckham plays a more premium position. I still think Alvarez is going to become a first baseman or left fielder by the time he reaches the majors.
Projected Pick: Tim Beckham, ss, Griffin (Ga.) HS.

And the other 4 I found online as well.

2. Pittsburgh Pirates. If the Rays don't take Alvarez, he becomes the easy pick for the Pirates. Pittsburgh needs to send a message to its victory-starved fans that it's going to take the best player available instead of going cheap. Choosing Daniel Moskos over Matt Wieters last year was a debacle.
Projected Pick: Pedro Alvarez, 3b, Vanderbilt.

3. Kansas City Royals. The Royals have beefed up their offense by taking Billy Butler, Alex Gordon and Mike Moustakas with first-round picks in three of the last four drafts, and most of the top bats after Alvarez are first basemen: South Carolina's Justin Smoak, Miami's Yonder Alonso and Florida prepster Eric Hosmer. That would make homestate product Crow very attractive. Matusz and Missouri high school righthander Tim Melville would be two other pitching options.
Projected Pick: Aaron Crow, rhp, Missouri.

4. Baltimore Orioles. With former first-rounders Brandon Snyder and Bill Rowell looking like they might be destined for first base rather than catcher and third base, it's hard to envision the Orioles going for Smoak, Alonso or Hosmer. They'll likely take whichever remaining pitcher they like the most from among Matusz, Melville and Pepperdine righthander Brett Hunter.
Projected Pick: Brian Matusz, lhp, San Diego.

5. San Francisco Giants. The Giants need a lot more help for their lineup than they do for their rotation, so the college hitters will be attractive. Smoak or Alonso could help the big league club in short order, and possibly form an infield of the future with Nick Noonan, Charlie Culberson and Angel Villalona. Hosmer or Miami prep third baseman Harold Martinez also could be tempting.
Projected Pick: Justin Smoak, 1b, South Carolina.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:03 am

rookies and cream wrote:

I agree. Take Alavarez ;-D

He will be ready just in time for when Pena is done
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball