Yahoo! people advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo! people advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo! people advice

Postby nuttinbutheat » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:52 am

I've been browsing several fantasy baseball websites, checking up on rankings and mock drafts, and have come upon something that seems quite strange. I've noticed that Carlos Beltran and Alfonso Soriano seem to both be locks in the first round, Soriano usually in the top 3/4 and beltran in the top 8 or so. Now I realize that it may be that these other sites have different settings, making SB's or something more or less valuable, but still most people in my league, and several other friends who aren't in mine but in similar leagues, are saying that neither Beltran nor Soriano should be drafted in the first round, beltran maybe not even until round 3. FYI, presuming the league settings are the same as last year, it will be 12 teams, 1 year rotisserie, with points for hits(1pt), 2b(1pt), 3b(2pt), hr(3pt), RBI(1pt) SB(1pt), BB(1pt), and minus one's for E, K, and caught stealing, if that helps any.

So anyway, is there anything I'm overlooking, or is the rest of my league smoking something nasty? Thanks in advance.
"Dare I say, En Fuego."

-Dan Patrick
nuttinbutheat
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:58 am

im not too familiar with league like that (or any really considering this is my rookie year) but beltran is worthy of a 1st round take. Ask anybody, the guy hits for average, power and steals alot of bases - and is just getting better. As for soriano, the same except he hits a lower average. If no1 takes these guys until the 3rd round, play along, grab Vlad or A-rod in the first and grab beltran or soriano in the 2nd. But both of these guys should go in the 1st.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby hooligan1 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:09 am

Either you have a very unique scoring system or you are playing with suckers. I would do nothing to discourage this talk; if that's the way they think, let them think it. If they are just talking it up to try to fool you, let them think that you think they are right..... }:-)
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Re: Yahoo! people advice

Postby LBJackal » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:15 am

nuttinbutheat wrote:most people in my league, and several other friends who aren't in mine but in similar leagues, are saying that neither Beltran nor Soriano should be drafted in the first round, beltran maybe not even until round 3.

You're friends are complete morons unless you have some wacky settings, such as negative poitns for SB's. I really hope they never beat you.....

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby grammysboy » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:16 am

Beltran could be a real jewel in the scoring system you described. He bangs lots of double off the Kaufman stadium walls and rattles several in the corners for triples. I certainly wouldn't let him slip past me in the second round.

He did have 81 K's last season, but that was over 550+ AB. The question to ask is: Do I want him on someone else's team beating me or do I want him here beating my opponents?
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby swarmee » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:22 am

nuttinbutheat wrote:FYI, presuming the league settings are the same as last year, it will be 12 teams, 1 year rotisserie, with points for hits(1pt), 2b(1pt), 3b(2pt), hr(3pt), RBI(1pt) SB(1pt), BB(1pt), and minus one's for E, K, and caught stealing, if that helps any.

What you're not seeing that the rest of the league is is that in a 4x4 or 5x5 league (which in most cases is what fantasy roto players play), K's and E's aren't counted, and steals are overvalued. Therefore, Soriano gains a LOT of value compared to his contribution to and actual MLB team, because he strikes out a lot and makes errors. And that might be enough to move him into the third round of your draft.
And by running that league in http://www.rototimes.com projection set, I have Beltran as the 12th best hitter, and Soriano as the 35th best hitter. So yes, your league mates understand the rules of your league better than you do.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby LBJackal » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:28 am

Didn't see those settings, I just saw "Soriano and Beltran" in the same sentence as "not first round" and jumped the gun. With points leagues, and especially ones that devalue certain stats such as SB's, it's hard for me to gauge value.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby drunkenmonkey » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:37 am

I have a hard time seeing Beltran not being worthy of a first round pick in any league. As for Soriano, I've always though he was a bit overhyped. But his real value lies in position scarcity. The reason he gets taken in the first round of just about every draft is that the dropoff at second is pretty severe after him. If he is the #35 ranked hitter, where is the next second baseman ranked? That should tell you his real value. He does have poor plate discipline and that could drop him a round or two in your league's scoring system.
It's time to roll the dice.
drunkenmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby stabone76 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:37 am

nuttinbutheat wrote:I've been browsing several fantasy baseball websites, checking up on rankings and mock drafts, and have come upon something that seems quite strange. I've noticed that Carlos Beltran and Alfonso Soriano seem to both be locks in the first round, Soriano usually in the top 3/4 and beltran in the top 8 or so. Now I realize that it may be that these other sites have different settings, making SB's or something more or less valuable, but still most people in my league, and several other friends who aren't in mine but in similar leagues, are saying that neither Beltran nor Soriano should be drafted in the first round, beltran maybe not even until round 3. FYI, presuming the league settings are the same as last year, it will be 12 teams, 1 year rotisserie, with points for hits(1pt), 2b(1pt), 3b(2pt), hr(3pt), RBI(1pt) SB(1pt), BB(1pt), and minus one's for E, K, and caught stealing, if that helps any.

So anyway, is there anything I'm overlooking, or is the rest of my league smoking something nasty? Thanks in advance.
I'm guessing they are trying to throw you off so you dont draft them first, or else i would recommend you let them draft them and you can trade for them. You can then ride them to a champoinship
stabone76
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arlo » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:26 pm

Jackal's right, it's hard to gauge value in unfamiliar points systems. The best thing to do is follow swarmee's advice and calculate values for your specific league.

At first glance, I doubt Soriano will be a first-rounder with those settings; Beltran probably doesn't make the cut either, but it might be close...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers