Cheat Sheets & Handling Drafts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cheat Sheets & Handling Drafts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Jer19G » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:40 am

Arlo wrote:Just by position for me.

Same with me.
Demon Days
Jer19G
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jbird669 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:59 pm

word
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:01 pm

I go to my local sports card shop and buy a complete set of baseball cards-- with every player in it.

When they're taken, I rip up their card.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby mocabeenow » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:05 pm

That would be awesome. not to rip 'em up. But to shoot 'em with a rubberband or something. Now were getting creative. I hate crossing out names! It would be a lot more fun to get creative like that.
~Moc

i guess i'll just cross the players that are gone. BORING!!!
mocabeenow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 191)

Postby justinA » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:08 pm

right now i have like 5 different lists (customized) and I am just gunna try and wing it by using all 5. Its gunna be interesting.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Joe Mauer » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:15 pm

I print out a cheat sheet for each position and then read a few articles. I see what people on here think, just incase I have overlooked something and then I use my brain. My brain is the most important part of the process, with my gut a close second. Any other info is a distant third.

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby BigLebowski » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:20 pm

justinA wrote:right now i have like 5 different lists (customized) and I am just gunna try and wing it by using all 5. Its gunna be interesting.

That's a mistake IMO...By the time the draft comes around, you should have most of it in your head, but a SINGLE list is what you should be working from, otherwise you'll get yourself confused. There is enough to keep track of in a draft without giving yourself 5 lists to work with.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 473)

Postby mtarail » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:38 pm

I use a by-position list.

I also have a written strategy for 1st round draft order, ranking my top 12 picks. I then have two 2-4 round strategies where I've targeted 3 or 4 players that I' expect to be available in the those rounds. One strategy for if my pick is high and I'll be picking near the end of the 2nd round and another strategy for if it's low and I get an early pick. (This strategy gets modified and/or thrown out of the window if their are players on the board who obviously should have been picked much earlier.)

From the 5th round on I make ranked lists of 5 or so players that I'd like to grab in that round if available.

So, for example, if end up with the 3 pick, I'll grab Soriano. When I get the 22nd pick I'll be targeting Renteria or Thome, (unless a stud like Sheffield, Pedro, or Schilling is still on the board), etc...
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby justinA » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:20 pm

BigLebowski wrote:
justinA wrote:right now i have like 5 different lists (customized) and I am just gunna try and wing it by using all 5. Its gunna be interesting.

That's a mistake IMO...By the time the draft comes around, you should have most of it in your head, but a SINGLE list is what you should be working from, otherwise you'll get yourself confused. There is enough to keep track of in a draft without giving yourself 5 lists to work with.

you are probably right. Most of it is in my head so I guess i should just leave the other lists at home to avoid confusion. I have decided Im gunna take the Cafe's List, my TSN mag (everyone says it sucks but i really dont think so), and the ESPN top 200. I think those should be good enuf.

I will obviously use my brain on most picks, but I just like having a list of names in fornt of me cuz i know enuf about baseball to be able to decide.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Can't lose

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:52 pm

I have a can't lose strategy but I won't reveal it until after I draft for fear that some of my competition is in the cafe. I draft on the 21 of March so email me after that
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers