SOPHOMORE REVIEW: JACOBY ELLSBURY - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

SOPHOMORE REVIEW: JACOBY ELLSBURY

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

SOPHOMORE REVIEW: JACOBY ELLSBURY

Postby DRAFTAHOLIC » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:29 pm

Hi folks! Some of you who know me from other sites, know that I have a man crush on Jacoby Ellsbury. Of course any Boston Red Sox fan would and probably found themselves yelling at their television when Jacoby was left on the bench during some of the post season games. We fans knew that if you put Jacoby at the plate he would help his team out tremendously. He did just that.

Jacoby really isn't all that talented power wise, in fact I was surprised when he hit as many home runs as he did last season. In the minor leagues it is reported that he had 10 homers in 1,017 games. Ellsbury also does not have an arm that will gun you out at the plate from center field either. So if you are thinking of drafting him, draft him for four things. He will hit over .300, he could easily reach 90 Runs and 100 RBI eventually. Hey this is Boston we are talking about. He will also be a base stealer and I do not believe that he will be held back as much as Coco was because Coco did not seem to exhibit any sort of energy at all. Jacoby breathes energy! His energy will lift up the rest of the ball club and I believe Boston will let him run, even with Manny and David at the plate. In fact if they decide to put Jacoby first in the lineup, his stolen bases will rise.

Many suspect that Jacoby, if traded to the Twins, would have been let loose on the base pads while in Boston he will be held. After what I saw in the post season, I can't imagine his talent going to waist like that. Therefore I encourage anyone who is drafting this season to consider Jacoby around the 8th or 9th rounds if you want to add a stolen base threat to your roster. Be prepared to hold him in keeper leagues should Coco not be moved.

It is public knowledge that Jacoby batted .361 while Manny was down for the count. Could that have simply been a time where the pitchers simply have not figured out Jacoby's weaknesses? You could say that except that in Pawtucket he held a .298 average with 363 at bats. I truly hope that Jacoby starts in 2008 and Coco finds himself in Florida where his lack of energy can join the rest of the Marlins.

Draftaholic
DRAFTAHOLIC
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: SOPHOMORE REVIEW: JACOBY ELLSBURY

Postby rookies and cream » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:38 pm

I also like Jacoby but

1) I don't think he will EVER get 100 RBI's b/c he'll be hitting leadoff
2) I don't recommend drafting him before round 13 in mixed leagues

I liked the rest of your analysis though...
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:01 am

I think Jacoby is overrated in fantasy. I think he'll be a stellar baseball player (hopefully for the Sox for years to come) and agree that he adds that spark to his lineup, especially when he's on the basepaths. I just don't see him contributing much to a fantasy roster other than BA, Rs, and a handful of SBs. Let someone else reach in the 8th or 9th.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby J35J » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:05 pm

I like Ellsbury as well.....he ain't getting 100 RBI though and he should get over 100 Runs THIS year, let alone 90.

I don't think anyone will reach for him in the 8th or 9th. I like him more than most and I just got him in the 13th in the 'holics Mock going on right now. I could have waited another round more than likely.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Return to Minor League & College Baseball