PROSPECT ALERT: BRIAN BARTON - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

PROSPECT ALERT: BRIAN BARTON

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: PROSPECT ALERT: BRIAN BARTON

Postby CadensDad » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:35 am

cardinal1975 wrote:You probably should not copy from Baseball America's last bi-weekly issue and pass it off as your own. This is more or less plagerism unless you are giving them credit for the majority of the items you have posted in this forum. I did not reply when I saw this type of behavior for the Travis Snider(not Snyder)post. I would enjoy any original ideas, thoughts, and even advice you have as it would make for good discussion in this forum.
;-D

Care to prove your findings?

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DRAFTAHOLIC » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:04 pm

Yes I would like to see that as well. He was referring to my Travis Snider post.

D
DRAFTAHOLIC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:39 pm

the cardinals said they did their due diligence and are satisfied he will be healthy for ST. i believe he played with the knee condition all of last year and still swiped 30. if he makes the team, i dont think you will see many SBs out of him. that has more to due with larussa than with barton's knee. granted the cards havent had a lot of speed lately, but i just dont think TLR really likes the straight steal that much these days. plus there is the whole tony has a hard on for veterans thing. fortunately, barton is a righty. the cards find themselves with plenty of lefty options at the moment. even ryan ludwick has a strong reverse platoon split. there is definitely room for barton, should he prove up to the task. he will probably just end up with 4th outfielder type stats which isnt too desirable for 12 team mixed leaguers.

maybe we are just defining things differently, but i dont think the cardinals are taking enough risks. they have been going with too many "safe", low cost, veteran options. cesar izturis? aaron miles? these are no risk/no reward types. i dont consider barton high risk. he is a rule V draft pick. they got him for cheap. they give him some at bats in ST. if they like him, they keep him. if they dont like him, they send him back. where is the risk?
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby cardinal1975 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:32 pm

First let me say I did not use any spell check when I type a post and therefore my spelling can and will sometimes be wrong. :-B

Madison wrote:
cardinal1975 wrote:You probably should not copy from Baseball America's last bi-weekly issue and pass it off as your own. This is more or less plagerism unless you are giving them credit for the majority of the items you have posted in this forum.

Is it a straight copy and paste job? :-? If yes, then I agree. If no, then I don't see what the issue is.

Oh, and the correct spelling would be "plagiarism". Not that I really care, but if you're going to accuse someone of doing something, especially something as serious as this accusation is, being able to spell it is kinda important. :-D ;-)

If anyone chooses to read the January 27, 2008 edition of Baseball America on page 34 at the top of the page is the article from which most of the post is "taken".

A definition below from Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary
: to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own : use (another's production) without crediting the source
intransitive verb
: to commit literary theft : present as new and original an idea or product derived from an existing source

If I were to read an article, re-phrase several sentences of the article, add some of my own comments, Then(in my opinion)pass this off as their thoughts without giving credit to the author(Derrick Goold or Baseball America)I (again...my opinion) see this as plagiarism.(hope this is spelled correctly ;-) )

A lot of people I know write for a living(including some of my family) and many of those see things like this as intellectual theft(again my opinion). My point was not attack(however it seems it may have come across as such)but to give credit to the source. I do understand this is a forum, but many people write for this site and others and should be given credit when something is "re-phrased"(again my opinion from reading the article). If others do not agree with my opinion that is fine....it is my opinion....it does not make me right nor wrong....just an individual.

I also agree that information should be free. With that being said several people make their living writing and publishing deserve the respect of listing a source. Draftaholic did do this when he listed the projected lineup of the Toronto Blue Jays for 2011(which I missed seeing in the Travis Snider post). I am sorry for referencing that post....I WAS DEAD WRONG. Please accept my apology for that mention. I do however stand by my opinion on the Brian Barton post. We all have very different opinions about a wide range of items(notably baseball). I just wanted to clarify my position for believing what I previously stated and to do it with the respect for other thoughts and feelings. I do not want to argue or fight about this issue and will not post about this again....I simply shot from the hip(right or wrong)and tried to communicate why I felt this was not right(again only an opinion). Some may agree and other may disagree and that is alright with me. ;-D
cardinal1975
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Madison » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:07 pm

*Post Deleted By Self*

Not worth the effort, but let's just say I disagree with your theory that plagiarism has anything to do with opinion. It's factual and very cut and dry. Opinion doesn't come into play.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby thedude » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:22 pm

There is zero risk for the cards in Barton. If they don't think he is worth keeping they don't have to keep. I really don't seen any risk in that. I doubt many fantasy owners will be taking him high enough to actually constitute any kind of risk.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball