PROSPECT ALERT: BRIAN BARTON - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

PROSPECT ALERT: BRIAN BARTON

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

PROSPECT ALERT: BRIAN BARTON

Postby DRAFTAHOLIC » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:29 am

The Cardinals 10th pick is known for one thing right now. Risk. High Risk. His knee surgery prior to the winter meetings kept the first 9 teams from selecting him. The Cardinals hoped that his talent would rise above his injury. "Offensively, he's always produced at every level," said Mozeliak the general manager. Barton has speed, something that the Cardinals truly lack. He is 25 years old which is a concern for someone at that age having knee problems and still being a prospect. In AAA he hit .316 and stole 80 bases in 110 attempts, through three pro seasons.

Barton was touted as one of the top talents available in the rule 5 draft but how could anyone of his age hold value as a speedster when he has already had knee surgery. I personally believe the Cardinals are continually shooting themselves in the foot as long as they go after high risk/reward type players. Barton himself described his knee pain as bone rubbing on bone. Yeah, that really induces confidence.

Draftaholic
DRAFTAHOLIC
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: PROSPECT ALERT: BRIAN BARTON

Postby kab21 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:04 pm

Ummm.... It's rule V. If there was a safe talented player he wouldn't be available especially considering the Cards picked him like #9 or so. IMO it was a very good choice considering they need some talent in the OF and some guy that is definitely a mediocre 4th/5th OF'er isn't an upgrade. If Barton busts, then he busts. It's a chance worth taking and it only cost them 50K.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 162)

Postby DRAFTAHOLIC » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:57 pm

The reason why I posted this information is because I have seen some hype on Barton in some fantasy leagues. Managers should be aware of the downside to Barton and not expect him to be the speedster that the hype suggests.

D
DRAFTAHOLIC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kab21 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:00 pm

DRAFTAHOLIC wrote:The reason why I posted this information is because I have seen some hype on Barton in some fantasy leagues. Managers should be aware of the downside to Barton and not expect him to be the speedster that the hype suggests.

D

If your concern is fantasy value then I agree. But why are you hating on the Cardinals.

You stated
I personally believe the Cardinals are continually shooting themselves in the foot as long as they go after high risk/reward type players.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 162)

Postby DRAFTAHOLIC » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:14 pm

I am reporting the opinions of many fans in the St. Louis area who are under the impression that the Cardinal ownership is trying to smooth over hostile feelings (of the fans) with these horizontal type moves. In reality fans want the Cardinals to spend money and obtain better quality players. The fans have made it clear, through what I have read in editorials of the Dispatch, that they feel the Cardinals are not recognizing the concerns that the fans feel are heightened. First and foremost with their pitching staff and then behind the plate.

I am both a Cardinal and Boston fan so I have an eye on them more so than any other ball club. I simply report what I hear, observe, read, etc. There is no hating on the Cardinals but genuine concern for their ball club. The history of the Cardinals consisted of a strong minor league system that continued to bring about talented players, and the Cardinals do have talent in the minor leagues. The trouble is what will the Cardinals do in the meanwhile? They certainly do not have a strong pitching rotation. I do consider Carpenter overrated and no able to return to form.

Draftaholic
DRAFTAHOLIC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby cardinal1975 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:21 pm

You probably should not copy from Baseball America's last bi-weekly issue and pass it off as your own. This is more or less plagerism unless you are giving them credit for the majority of the items you have posted in this forum. I did not reply when I saw this type of behavior for the Travis Snider(not Snyder)post. I would enjoy any original ideas, thoughts, and even advice you have as it would make for good discussion in this forum.
;-D
cardinal1975
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby DRAFTAHOLIC » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:44 pm

I take news from all sources and report it. I read several sources. Plagiarism is when you copy material which I do not do. I read several sources and then I report on what I read. Sometimes, as in the case of recent prospects I get started with BA but in the case of the prospects you refer to, I grabbed information from several sources as well as put my own two sense in.

I do what any in house reporter will do. How in the world can you report information that is not based upon what you read in the Newspapers, magazines, net, etc unless you go down each camp and interview the players directly. Now when I can get out and talk to the players I will share direct information but until then, I will read and report like everyone else does. If the owner of this site wants me to list 15 to 20 sources each time I type then fine but I would expect everyone else to do the same.

If I take an entire piece from an article then I will report it as such and have done so in this forum. I don't look for credit on anything that I post, even if it is my own work. My goal is what I said it was from the beginning, "Great Fantasy Information Should Always Be Free". That is all I care about, sharing information out there to the public and helping others.

If I was being paid for sharing this information, then I could understand your concern. Thank you just the same for sharing it though. I will try to be more mindful.

D
DRAFTAHOLIC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:02 am

cardinal1975 wrote:You probably should not copy from Baseball America's last bi-weekly issue and pass it off as your own. This is more or less plagerism unless you are giving them credit for the majority of the items you have posted in this forum.

Is it a straight copy and paste job? :-? If yes, then I agree. If no, then I don't see what the issue is.

Oh, and the correct spelling would be "plagiarism". Not that I really care, but if you're going to accuse someone of doing something, especially something as serious as this accusation is, being able to spell it is kinda important. :-D ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby talldarkandnerdy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:07 am

The Cardinals do seem like they are all about high risk/reward lately. I'm not so concerned about Barton due to his low cost, but you can see they keep falling into a trap of "this player will be great when he's healthy." Edmonds, Percival (did actually work out), and Mulder come to mind. Not to mention their interest in Juan Gonzalez... :-°
talldarkandnerdy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DRAFTAHOLIC » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:12 pm

Thanks Madison,

And remember "GREAT FANTASY INFORMATION SHOULD ALWAYS BE FREE!" In other words, if it's out there I will find it and bring it here with my own take, opinion, rant and comment. ;-D

:-)

Draftaholic
DRAFTAHOLIC
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball