The Cardinals Franchise is Making A Huge Mistake - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

The Cardinals Franchise is Making A Huge Mistake

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Cardinals Franchise is Making A Huge Mistake

Postby DRAFTAHOLIC » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:26 am

If you have looked at the St. Louis Newspaper, you will come to realize that the St. Louis Cardinals are blowing smoke up the fans perspective backsides. The Cardinals need to rebuild by seeking younger players and by getting rid of their older, less likely to contribute, players. Instead they are going after names in the hope that somehow the recognition of various older names will keep fans in their seats. Fans however are onto this little plan and are not happy.

The team needed to trade Rolan away for younger talent, not the older and physically banged up Glaus. The Cardinals might end up losing their top star, Albert Pujols, if they continue to play the "win baseball fan's heart with a coat of old paint" philosophy. Albert wants to be on a team that is a winner and right now the Cardinals will be lucky to get out of last place in their division.

Talk to a Cardinal fan recently? They are throwing imaginary pies at the present ownership. Folks, this is not your grandfathers Cardinal team anymore.

Draftaholic
DRAFTAHOLIC
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Cardinals Franchise is Making A Huge Mistake

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:52 am

They tried getting prospects for Rolen. No one would bite. Reports were the best offer they got was Capuano. Glaus and Kennedy at 32 are the oldest starters on the team. They are rebuilding but it is a slow process. It isn't like they have a lot of trade chips.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby hersch223 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:21 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:They tried getting prospects for Rolen. No one would bite. Reports were the best offer they got was Capuano. Glaus and Kennedy at 32 are the oldest starters on the team. They are rebuilding but it is a slow process. It isn't like they have a lot of trade chips.

Exactly. Nobody is going to take Rolen for prospects unless they eat most of the salary, which defeats a large part of why you trade him in the first place. Glaus gives Pujols some protection, something he didn't have last year, and his shorter salary means they are off the hook a year earlier.

Look at their contracts. They could have a ton of cash on hand next winter, with a lot of free agents that could be available. By next year, Rasmus will be in center, Perez might be closing (I don't see izzy being signed. I think they let him walk for draft picks), plus Ankiel, Duncan, Pujols, Glaus, Molina. The only real sore spots are in the middle infield, and Kennedy should be ok. Not stellar, but better than last year. So all they really have to buy in terms of fielders is a shortstop. Lots of good ones next year to get.

Carp will be back next year (don't know how well with the TJ surgery), Wainright's there, take izzy's money and sign a good pitcher. Mulder might be back if the option is excerised. If not, take his and Izzy's money and get an ace (Did Sabathia sign an extension? Take a run at Santana if he isn't traded, though I doubt they could outbid the Yankees or Mets). There's the top 3-4, maybe Reyes is still around to fill it out.

I don't see this as a terrible mistake. Would trading Rolen for three stud prospects be better? Yeah, but nobody is going to offer that. Overall, next year they won't be a 100-win team, but they won't be terrible either. And not being terrible is all you need their division ;-D

Oh, BTW Draftaholic, Glaus is younger than Rolen, not older B-)
I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades...or a game of fake heart attack.
hersch223
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DRAFTAHOLIC » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:44 am

Thank you pogo & hersch. I meant to have the readers understand Glaus not as physically older but as older/aging in terms of yet another "up there in age type of player". I do not agree with you as to how much help Troy Glaus will provide Albert Pujols. Glaus was limited to 20 home runs in about 115 games last season. He is an injury risk; equaled to the one of Rolen. The Cardinals need to rebuild. Now if they are just delaying so that their prospects can rise up and play regularly, then I can understand the move however, I believe Rolen could have earned them someone better than another injury prone player. Scott Rolen is only less than a year older.

Draftaholic
DRAFTAHOLIC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hersch223 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:36 pm

DRAFTAHOLIC wrote:Thank you pogo & hersch. I meant to have the readers understand Glaus not as physically older but as older/aging in terms of yet another "up there in age type of player". I do not agree with you as to how much help Troy Glaus will provide Albert Pujols. Glaus was limited to 20 home runs in about 115 games last season. He is an injury risk; equaled to the one of Rolen. The Cardinals need to rebuild. Now if they are just delaying so that their prospects can rise up and play regularly, then I can understand the move however, I believe Rolen could have earned them someone better than another injury prone player. Scott Rolen is only less than a year older.

Draftaholic

Glaus hit 12 more homers than Rolen, with a higher OBP and SLG, hit into less DP, in only 3 more games. Couple that with the fact that his foot injury is more easily fixed, as opposed to Rolen's shoulders, and I can safely say that he will provide more help to Pujols than Rolen did.

Now, I personally will miss Rolen, always liked him. He was a lot of fun to watch in the field (although he did make more errors than Glaus last year), but he just couldn't hit like he used to. Now watch him go out this year and shove my foot in my mouth......

I'm curious, you belive that Rolen could have earned them someone better, who would that be? Keep in mind the Cardinals were not going to eat a large part of his salary, plus with his feud with La Russa, he wasn't going to start the year on the roster, so no waiting until he hits better to raise his stock. The only rumor I heard besides the Capuano one was to the Dodgers for LaRoche. I don't buy into it much, doesn't make much sense for LA.
I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades...or a game of fake heart attack.
hersch223
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pochucker » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:06 pm

Well you wont have any trouble watching Glaus in the field --you will never have to move your eyes --hes stationary. They would be better off having Albert at 3rd . (not happening). Well the Cardinals pitchers era should take a hit --oh wait they dont have any "pitchers". On the bright side Reyes ERA wont be affected --the balls they hit off him bypass infield (and usually outfield) in a hurry.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby DRAFTAHOLIC » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:13 pm

You asked, "I'm curious, you belive that Rolen could have earned them someone better, who would that be?"

Toronto felt that Rolen was not done yet which is the reason why they traded for him. You have to ask yourself why would they trade Glaus for Rolen, if not for their hope in his upside. With that said, I really can't answer your question except to say that where there is one team that has hopes for a player, there can be another.

I did not believe a top prospect could be had but possibly a younger player stuck in the minors due to no room for him in the majors could have been worked out with cash considerations. Where will the Cardinals be when Glaus goes down again with an injury? The same place they already were and that is what is frustrating many Cardinal fans.

Draftaholic
DRAFTAHOLIC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MTUCache » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:35 pm

Honestly, even if this does turn out to be a "mistake" in the long run, it's a small one...

I understand that you're frustrated that they'd swap 3B and not end up in any better position than they were before, albeit with a little more injury for risk, but I don't honestly feel like they had any better options.

They were willing to part ways with Rolen, but not willing to leave a complete vacancy at 3B. So, you're left either trading veteran for veteran, or giving up Rolen and prospects for a younger proven guy. There's no way you're going to get younger just trading away Rolen unless you're getting literally nobodies.

Was it a mistake? I don't think so. As mentioned above, they get Glaus off the books a year earlier, letting them continue to develop some of their own young guys, while also clearing room next year to go out and buy a new 3B in free agency.

You think the management is getting hammered now, just imagine how fans would be reacting if they traded him away for a couple of AAA guys who won't see the majors for two or three years.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:37 pm

I think too that they might be thinking that Glaus might do well making a fresh start, on softer turf.

Both players are crap shoots, in that they could go either way and it seems reasonable that the Cards would want to move on, even if it's something similar.

Also, think of it in terms of fantasy ball. What would YOU trade for Rolen?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby sycamore » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:45 am

Therer are some sites suggesting that Cards trade Pujols...if Cards tell fans we are cutting ticket prices for 2 years to rebuild ...it works...I cant recall the site it was hot and heavy to trade Albert Pujols...Not a bad idea???
sycamore
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to St. Louis Cardinals