PROSPECT ALERT: TRAVIS SNIDER - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

PROSPECT ALERT: TRAVIS SNIDER

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

PROSPECT ALERT: TRAVIS SNIDER

Postby DRAFTAHOLIC » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:14 pm

Travis Snider is in my opinion a top ten prospect that would probably earn the respect equaled to Cameron Maybin and Evan Longoria. Here is the reason for my optimism. Travis is a pure hitter, a lefty and is only 19. Travis is also a patient hitter which suggests that when he comes up to the Majors, he will not swing and miss as often as Alex Gordon did in his first season. It is rare for a young talent like Snider to own plate discipline at such a young age and yet still have the ability to keep a .300 average in check.

Snider has the talent to hit for power to all parts of the field and the only real downside to his talent is that he is not a solid runner, meaning that he cannot give you 25 Home Runs and 25 Stolen Bases. However, for a power player you can't go wrong with Travis Snider. His position is in the outfield and that is where I hope he stays.

In 2006 there were a number of scouts that considered Travis Snider to be the best hitter in the entire 2006 draft. If he stays with Toronto he could be called up to see action late 2009. In the Midwest League he came in second in the batting race at .313 and ended up with 16 home runs, 8 of them in the final month. He is already being projected as a player who will own the best hitter for average and best power hitter rankings on what should be a solid lineup for Toronto in the years to come.

More Prospect Alerts to come

DRAFTAHOLIC
Last edited by DRAFTAHOLIC on Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DRAFTAHOLIC
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: PROSPECT ALERT: TRAVIS SNYDER

Postby Koby Schellenger » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:56 pm

Have to disagree with you when you say SnIder don't swing and miss as much as Alex Gordon. He's going to continue to strikeout at a very high rate, especially if Toronto breaks form and aggressively promotes him. I wouldn't be surprised if he strikes out in close to 30% of his at-bats next season in Dunedin. Nor would I be surprised if he strikes out 175 times in a Major League season consistently.
** http://www.moundtalk.com ** MLB June Mock Draft ongoing.
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Re: PROSPECT ALERT: TRAVIS SNYDER

Postby DRAFTAHOLIC » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:52 pm

He already can handle southpaws and offspeed pitches. Scouts say he has a balanced swing and that he shows advanced hitting instincts. Now that does not mean he is going to always hit the ball but I would certainly think he would make contact more often than he would strike out. I know where you get your 30% statistic because in Lansing he struck out 129 times in 457 at bats (which is a lot) but he has corrected himself and should continue to lower that total as he progresses throughout the minor league system. Let's say he lowers his strikeout total by 10 each season he is in the minors, that would mean that by the time he makes it to the Majors, his K ratio will be less then 1/4th his total at bats.

Draftaholic
DRAFTAHOLIC
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Minor League & College Baseball