Looking for Catagories for a H2H League - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Looking for Catagories for a H2H League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Looking for Catagories for a H2H League

Postby wolfeman » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:54 am

What are the basic catagories for a standard 10 team H2H leagues? Thanks for the help.
wolfeman
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Looking for Catagories for a H2H League

Postby DC_Commish » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:00 pm

I think most category-based H2H leagues use the standard 5x5 system.

Runs Scored (R)
Home Runs (HR)
Runs Batted In (RBI)
Stolen Bases (SB)
Batting Average (BA or AVG)
Wins (W)
Saves (SV)
Strikeouts (K)
Earned Run Average (ERA)
Walks plus Hits Per Innings Pitched (WHIP)

Many 6x6 systems use OPS (OBP + SLG) and Holds (HD), but this is not universal.

Does that answer your question?
Fight racism in our schools. American Indians are people, not mascots.
DC_Commish Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JimmyBaseball » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:16 pm

Those are the categories we've used for years in our keeper league H2H 5x5
"When I knocked a guy down, there was no second part to the story."

~Bob Gibson
JimmyBaseball
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:46 am

I've been in a H2H redraft league for several years now but we're anything but the standard. We do 11X11 broken down as such:

H
R
1B
2B
3B
HR
RBI
SB
BB
K
AVG

W
L
SV
CG
SHO
H
R
K
BB
ERA
WHIP

We're considering going to 12X12 this year by adding in OBP and Holds. It's not for everyone, but I love it. With this many categories, you're really trying to grab real-life value. I would assume if you're looking at a standard, it's the traditional 5X5 that DC and JimmyBball mentiond.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby MTUCache » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:35 am

RedSoxNation04 wrote:I've been in a H2H redraft league for several years now but we're anything but the standard. We do 11X11 broken down as such:

H
R
1B
2B
3B
HR
RBI
SB
BB
K
AVG

W
L
SV
CG
SHO
H
R
K
BB
ERA
WHIP

We're considering going to 12X12 this year by adding in OBP and Holds. It's not for everyone, but I love it. With this many categories, you're really trying to grab real-life value. I would assume if you're looking at a standard, it's the traditional 5X5 that DC and JimmyBball mentiond.

After having been in a 7x7 league for the first time last year, which included categories such as 3B, CG, SHO, etc... I'm curious as to how you feel all of these "rare" categories effect the strategy of the league.

I, and a few other more experienced members of our league, found that it really skewed the balance of positional value. With pitching categories like CG and SHO, where you'd be lucky to get 15 and 10 all season, it basically felt like these were non-categories. It was impossibly to stack your roster so you could "dominate" in them, and even in weeks where you did get a CGSHO it wasn't worth any more than beating your opponent by .01 in ERA and WHIP.

It got to the point where we felt we were playing in a league that was more like 6.5x5, giving everyday players a significant boost in value over pitchers (somewhere between 10-20% more value).

Of course, if I would have considered these things at the start of the year, it would have been far easier for me to exploit and I probably wouldn't have been as concerned about it... but I suppose I should be happy with a 3rd place finish. :*)

Anyway, are these balance issues a problem in your league, or do you guys just roll without and not really care?
(I suppose money invested could also be a factor as to how seriously or casually you guys treat the league.)
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:51 am

Well, I probably should have said from the start that my league is a points league. So, a lot of these categories become random. There was the week I won triples when Josh Willingham had two in the same week and my oponent didn't have any despite having Reyes on his team. There was another week where I lost WHIP by something like .03 because the other manager started Jeff Weaver against someone on a Sunday afternoon to simply get his innings and he ended up going like 6 or 7 and gave up 2 hits and no walks. Stupid things like this that sometimes make the season so frustrating. But, at the same time it can be fun to try to maxmize your draft picks by trying to grab guys who not only hit for power but who are also going to bang out a bunch of doubles, walk a good number of times and who don't strike out as much. Case in point, in our league, David Ortiz has more value, even if somewhat marginally, than Ryan Howard.

Not sure if this really answers your question or not, but the points issue is probably something I should have mentioned off the bat.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Return to Commissioner's Corner