Created Resource List with Known Fantasy Magazines - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Created Resource List with Known Fantasy Magazines

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Created Resource List with Known Fantasy Magazines

Postby bigken117 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:33 am

Sticky Spice wrote:I have a favorite mag, and I can't remember which one it is!

I swear it was The Sporting News, but I just checked theirs out today and the format is wrong. So either I'm way off base, or TSN has changed formats.

What I remember is a thicker magazine that is made up mostly of an index of hitters and an index of pitchers with a blurb, dollar value, last 3 yrs of stats, and projected stats. The names really stood out because they were white in a colored bar.

Anyone have an idea on this?

(I think) That would be Major League Baseball Yearbook & Fantasy Guide, and as a magazine to read this one is my favorite too. I buy it for football and basketball also. ;-D

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby duckbillgates » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:34 pm

bigken117 wrote:

I swear it was The Sporting News, but I just checked theirs out today and the format is wrong. So either I'm way off base, or TSN has changed formats.

What I remember is a thicker magazine that is made up mostly of an index of hitters and an index of pitchers with a blurb, dollar value, last 3 yrs of stats, and projected stats. The names really stood out because they were white in a colored bar.

(I think) That would be Major League Baseball Yearbook & Fantasy Guide, and as a magazine to read this one is my favorite too. I buy it for football and basketball also. ;-D

Some of their projections and dollar values are awful, but it's one of my favorites too. It's really slickly designed, and has all the stats you want at a glance (past three years, plus last year's pre-/post-All-Star splits ;-D and projections).

Also has a pretty decent prospect rankings article and team-by-team breakdowns, but one of my favorite features is that it has the top ten prospects at each position, along with their estimated time of arrival in the Majors.

Honestly, I wish their analysis was a bit better, but they are on the right track with what they include. One of my favorites, too.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigken117 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:38 pm

duckbillgates wrote:

Some of their projections and dollar values are awful, but it's one of my favorites too. It's really slickly designed, and has all the stats you want at a glance (past three years, plus last year's pre-/post-All-Star splits ;-D and projections).

Also has a pretty decent prospect rankings article and team-by-team breakdowns, but one of my favorite features is that it has the top ten prospects at each position, along with their estimated time of arrival in the Majors.

Honestly, I wish their analysis was a bit better, but they are on the right track with what they include. One of my favorites, too.

BTW the 2008 version of it is out, just picked it up at B&N ;-D

Yeah I don't use it for the projections or dollar values (they love closers and speed more than I would pay) but overall I think it's the best read.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby duckbillgates » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:03 pm

bigken117 wrote:
duckbillgates wrote:

BTW the 2008 version of it is out, just picked it up at B&N ;-D

Yeah I don't use it for the projections or dollar values (they love closers and speed more than I would pay) but overall I think it's the best read.

Just gave that a look at my local newsstand, and I have to lower my marks substantially for this year. Very disappointed.

• Team profiles no longer focus on a breakout player for this season, as well as one a few years off. I used to find some nice sleepers in there.
• Only has the past two seasons of stats, not three or four as in past.
• Eliminated the top ten prospects at each position which I praised above, instead including an idiotic score card grading players in each category. I can tell that Grady Sizemore is a liability in the average department by looking at the projections. I don't need a grade.
• Don't like the design as much as in years past (although I used to be a graphic designer, so I'm nitpicky).
• In know the projections are bad, but seriously? I think I saw five (!) closers in the top 13 overall. Miguel Cabrera at 24? Chase Utley at 33?

Nice publication in the past, but I may actually pass this year.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bloul11 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:44 pm

I just flipped thru the fanball mag today at the local book store and thought of this quote. All the players names are in white on top of a colorful background. think that might be what your looking for. I was looking at it to try and figure out if it was done in the same style as rototimes has been in years past since they merged companies. It did have some similarities but i think i'm going to hold out in hopes of rototimes releasing their own.
bloul11
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sblinyy » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:03 pm

I looked at a few magazines, and I really liked "the sporting news". It was an interesting read. The combined rankings kind of blow, but the position rankings and the mock draft was really good.

Thanks to abrage22 for the sweet sig!
sblinyy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chipper » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:09 pm

duckbillgates wrote:• In know the projections are bad, but seriously? I think I saw five (!) closers in the top 13 overall.

I was gonna post that earlier. Something like 7 closers in the top 20 as well. Gimme a break, lol. How can they even sell that?

So any concensus on what the best mag to buy is so far?

I actually like Lindy's out of the five I've leafed through this year.
Last edited by chipper on Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chipper » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:11 pm

Last edited by chipper on Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sblinyy » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:33 pm

I thought lindy's wasn't even geared toward fantasy baseball, I thought it was more so just baseball in general.

Thanks to abrage22 for the sweet sig!
sblinyy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chipper » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:00 am

sblinyy wrote:I thought lindy's wasn't even geared toward fantasy baseball, I thought it was more so just baseball in general.

It seems they have two mags.
One geared toward fantasy baseball (the first 2008 fantasy mag that came out a few weeks ago)
And then they have another magazine I just saw today that's geared toward baseball in general.
Last edited by chipper on Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers