Minimum Innings in H2H League - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Minimum Innings in H2H League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Minimum Innings in H2H League

Postby Skippyoz » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:32 pm

Hi. What is a good minimum innings for a Yahoo! H2H League? For the past two years we've used 10. Last year a guy used several RPs in the SP spots and dominated in Saves, ERA, WHIP, Losses. He also showed well in Wins and Strikeouts every week.

Any thoughts? We'd like it so that we can be true to our setting of 5 Starters and 2 Relievers, or close to it. Should we bump it up to 20 innings? More?

- Skip
Skippyoz
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Minimum Innings in H2H League

Postby WaCougMBS » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:02 pm

Im no H2H guru, but I think you have to set the limit to at least 20. Just my 2 cents...
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:51 pm

We use 30 innings in my league (points 12X12) and it works great unless you have managers who have a hard time checking in at least once or twice a week to set their rosters. But, at 30 innings you have to pitch at least 4 starters and then let your relievers fill in the void.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MTUCache » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:17 pm

I seem to remember 23 being a magic number from somewhere... not sure where.

In any case, it's a pretty tough number to reach with just RP.

If you figure the standard route will be 4+ starters, that's going to get you near 20 innings, and RPs will get you to 23.
Someone could squeak under having just 2 or 3 starters to eat up innings, but they'd be cutting it close every week depending on their RPs to get them 8+ innings.

If you're absolutely set on nobody trying to squeeze through the loophole, you're probably better off just going with 30, but you're going to end up really hurting somebody who loses two or more starters to injuries, as they're going to be forced to get games out of their sixth or worse SP just to eat up IP.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MadMobius » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:13 am

I think more is better in h2h... otherwise, you end up with teams that win with all hitting and no pitching. With 20 min ip, team can get away with having only 1 good starter and fare pretty well. We set the limit at 45 in order to force people to put some value into starting pitching (for drafting and trades). That was for an 8 team league though so there were plenty of good arms to go around. Tweak that number down for 10-12 team leagues but keeping as high a number as you can for your league setup will keep the most balanced teams up toward the top and not allow some d-bag beat everyone with a great offense and a ridiculous amount of relievers.

plan on about 6+ ip for each starter... if you want people sporting a good 5 starter rotation you can figure that will get you 5-8 starts per week... even 30 ip is really only 4 decent starts and a couple of save opps.
---Lincecum---------Gallardo------Santana-----------Peavy---

Props to "The_Show" for my sig...
MadMobius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:28 am

MadMobius wrote:I think more is better in h2h... otherwise, you end up with teams that win with all hitting and no pitching. With 20 min ip, team can get away with having only 1 good starter and fare pretty well. We set the limit at 45 in order to force people to put some value into starting pitching (for drafting and trades). That was for an 8 team league though so there were plenty of good arms to go around. Tweak that number down for 10-12 team leagues but keeping as high a number as you can for your league setup will keep the most balanced teams up toward the top and not allow some d-bag beat everyone with a great offense and a ridiculous amount of relievers.

plan on about 6+ ip for each starter... if you want people sporting a good 5 starter rotation you can figure that will get you 5-8 starts per week... even 30 ip is really only 4 decent starts and a couple of save opps.

Agreed, but it also depends on your roster. We only start four SP and one RP, so even if you had 2-3 great relievers on your roster you can only pitch one. Definitely makes it harder to reach the 30 innings especially if your closer pitches for a team where he's not getting opportunities for a few days in a row. This happened to me last year down the stretch. I had Putz and with the Mariners losing all the time, he wasn't getting a lot of opportunities. Ultimately benhced him and picked up Corpas which worked out great but nevertheless, Putz sat on my bench for the remainder of the season.

We're thinking of adding on a 2nd RP spot or just a P spot so that we can add Holds as category and incorporate the great set-up men into our league, but either way you look at it, you do want balance as MadMobius said.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby JoeyRoland » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:02 pm

In our head-to-head, we use 3 SP, 3 RP, and 2 P slots and need 25 IP.

That being said, I think it would also depend on your lineup change frequency. In other words, if you have weekly lineups, I'd keep the minimum relatively low to anticipate injuries and rainouts. But in our league, with semi-weekly changes, we figured if a coach never changed their lineup, they could have 3 starters go 6IP each and have the RP get another 4 between those 3 slots, (1.1 IP each). That puts them at 22 with those remaining two P slots to meet the minimum - all the while never changing their lineup.

I guess it depends on how mandatory you want to make other owners be. In our scenario, while it's not the most ideal situation we want, if an owner threw just one more starter in one of the generic "P" slots, as long as he checked for injuries, he could exercise a relatively passive strategy but one that would force his hand when trying to cash in on two good starts.
Nick Markakis: Greek God of Hits
JoeyRoland
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby walkoffblast » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:22 pm

I have used 30 in the past and if anything I am thinking about increasing it slightly this season. Even with varying levels of activity it was not very common for a team to miss the threshold. Weekly changes or less pitching spots I would lower it some but I am not a fan of either of thsoe setups. The deeper you make it the less teams can coast of a top heavy pitching staff.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sakka252 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:54 pm

I would set the min to 34. We have a 12 team, daily change, 6x6 league with W, L, Saves, ERA, WHIP, & K/9 for pitching. (loses to keep people from starting pitchers like crazy (prison rules) to win Ws, and k/9 over stikeouts to value good strikeout starters, i.e. smoltz and santana, and again keep prison rules out of the mix). Anyway with that setup and 4sp 2rp 1p spots, 34 was perfect. Only once did someone miss the min, and very often managers had to have pitchers go on Sunday because categories were still up in the air. It took three years of settings to get it just right, and it worked perfect last year so we're finally sticking with this setup. Good luck with your settings.
sakka252
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Commissioner's Corner