On paper best lineup in history? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

On paper best lineup in history?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best every day

Postby bootssara » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:56 am

In recent history, I would go with the early-mid 70's Reds.

They had Bench catching, Perez, Morgan, Concepion, and Rose in the IF and Griffey Sr, Geremino, and Foster in the OF (excuse some of my spelling). Pitching could have been better. Free agency ended their run.
AWOL? No we use Earthlink.

George W. Bush
bootssara
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Best line-up

Postby bootssara » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:04 am

I forgot to ask. What will the Yankees payroll be after this deal is done? I live in Green Bay, and without revenue sharing the Packers would be as bad as the Brewers. The next statute or street here should be named for Pete Rozelle who somehow sold Halas and the Mara family on revenue sharing.
bootssara
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby eftda » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:23 am

this is a great lineup... not as good as my fantasy baseball lineup last year ;-)
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ukjohn » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:08 am

The Reds had a stacked lineup in the 70's...1-8 were all hitting above .300
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Arlo » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:31 am

mtarail wrote:I'll take the Yankee's over Communism in the Summer of 2004. Their (the Yankees, not Communism's) only question mark is pitching.

Who does communism have on the mound? Oh, wait, the Cuban team is pretty good. Never mind... :-D

Anyway, interesting question. Extremely good? Obviously. Best in recent memory (on paper at least)? Pretty close, at any rate. Best ever? Probably not. Some of those teams we never had a chance to see play were pretty unbelievable...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

lake show

Postby astimeexpires.com » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:51 am

going into this years nba season people said that the lakers were the greatest team ever assembled. they had 4 hall of famers. look at where they are now. yes, they aren't doing bad, but they are no where near as good as the preseason hype was. injuries will decimate a team and you never know what'll happen. i'm going out on a limb and i'm going to say that they won't win the world series this year. kevin brown is 97 years old and never makes it through a year without getting injured. matsui is just too damn ugly to look at. i dont want to have to see him on tv for all those playoff series. yuck!
http://www.astimeexpires.com
"Making Sports Humor a Possibility"
astimeexpires.com
College Coach
College Coach

Postby lesgrant » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:12 pm

This is no doubt the best line-up I’ve seen going into a season.

Let’s see if they measure up to the ’98 Yankees. That was a wrecking ball squad that destroyed everything in its path.

Red Sox Nation will be little more than target practice this season.
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: lake show

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:19 pm

astimeexpires.com wrote:going into this years nba season people said that the lakers were the greatest team ever assembled. they had 4 hall of famers. look at where they are now. yes, they aren't doing bad, but they are no where near as good as the preseason hype was. injuries will decimate a team and you never know what'll happen. i'm going out on a limb and i'm going to say that they won't win the world series this year. kevin brown is 97 years old and never makes it through a year without getting injured. matsui is just too damn ugly to look at. i dont want to have to see him on tv for all those playoff series. yuck!

of course injuries change everything. thats why we said "on paper". kevin brown is 39 not 97 and he made it through the season last year and pitched great. i personally dont cae what matsui looks like as long as he hits. if you dont want to look at him then dont watch. this is the most dominating lineup i've ever seen heading into a season and the pitching is better than almost everybody too. yankees are once again the team to beat.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:53 pm

This year's Yankees lineup is certainly one of the most potent lineups I've ever seen, if not the most potent. I'd say they do have a shot at cracking 1000 runs this year. Should be very interesting to watch and see.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby astimeexpires.com » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:00 pm

who's starting pitching staff is better than the yankees this year? i'd say that houston definately has them beat (4 number 1 or 2 pitchers) as does oakland (the big 3). i'd then give the edge to the bo sox because pedro, schilling, lowe sounds better to me than mussina, vazquez, brown. plus the cubbies with prior, wood, zambrano, clement isn't half bad either. then i'd throw in the yankees after that. thoughts?
http://www.astimeexpires.com
"Making Sports Humor a Possibility"
astimeexpires.com
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers