2008 Closers Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2008 Closers Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who would be the best closer going forward?

Masa Kobayashi - Cle
19%
Damaso Marte - Pit
19%
Grant Balfour - TB
11%
Dan Wheeler - TB
13%
Jason Isringhausen - Stl
9%
Joel Zumaya - Det
16%
Eric Gagne - Mil
2%
Taylor Tankersley - Fla
11%

Total votes : 170

Re: 2008 Closers Thread

Postby NZ Eff » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:58 pm

Simulacrum wrote:Havoc, this thread is a work of art (as usual). Very nice. ;-D

Two things to share.

The arizona papers are reporting that the D-Backs will be splitting closing chores between Lyon and Pena. I imagine that will be the case early in the season, until one of them sputters or the other runs away with the job.

I just don't see this. There is little doubt that Pena will close and Lyon will be the 8th inning guy.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:09 am

DRAFTAHOLIC wrote:It is my understanding that Zach Grienke will be a closer somewhere in 2008.

D

No, not true. 3 things would need to happen in order for that to be true. 1: Greinke will have to move to the bullpen, 2: Something will have to happen to Soria, 3: Or Greinke will have to be traded to a team needing a closer.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby DRAFTAHOLIC » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:13 am

Well all I know is that near last season they were saying it was Grienke's to lose and it seemed they has lost faith in Soria.

Draftaholic
DRAFTAHOLIC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:16 am

DRAFTAHOLIC wrote:Well all I know is that near last season they were saying it was Grienke's to lose and it seemed they has lost faith in Soria.

Draftaholic

Well, since Greinke ended the season in the KC rotation I'd say you're a little off-bases here. I'm not saying Greinke wouldn't be a good closer but his max value and current role is in the rotation.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby swyck » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:47 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
DRAFTAHOLIC wrote:Well all I know is that near last season they were saying it was Grienke's to lose and it seemed they has lost faith in Soria.

Draftaholic

Well, since Greinke ended the season in the KC rotation I'd say you're a little off-bases here. I'm not saying Greinke wouldn't be a good closer but his max value and current role is in the rotation.

Plus Soria pitched pretty well at the end of the season, and didnt really have any poor stretches. 3 saves and a win in his last 6 games, with only one run and 4 base runners in 7.1 IP. Not sure why they'd lose faith in him for that.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:26 pm

CLOSING-IN WEEKLY
Baltimore's Fernando Cabrera was acquired late in the year after being let loose by the Cleveland Indians. Armed with a high 90's sinking-fastball and a slider that could be the best pitch in baseball, Cabrera registers one of the highest whiff rates in baseball every year. When he is going good, he is great. The problem is Cabrera has yet to consistently produce to mach his ability. At 26 years old, Cabrera finds himself in an attractive situation. Baltimore currently has no set closer going into the 2008 season and certainly has no reliever with FCab's upside. The situation is still very cloudy and with a possible starter moving to the pen or a free agent signing it gets more murky. But the Orioles are destined to struggle in the '08 AL East and signing an expensive FA would be counter-intuitive. Things will likely clear up in spring training but Fernando could be a cheap sleeper.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby The G.O.A.T. » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:06 am

NZ Eff wrote:
Simulacrum wrote:Havoc, this thread is a work of art (as usual). Very nice. ;-D

Two things to share.

The arizona papers are reporting that the D-Backs will be splitting closing chores between Lyon and Pena. I imagine that will be the case early in the season, until one of them sputters or the other runs away with the job.

I just don't see this. There is little doubt that Pena will close and Lyon will be the 8th inning guy.

Well we will know before Spring Training. The DBacks don't want to have anyone get hurt in a competition for the spot. I still say they should let Lyon do it. All the saves would get him Type A FA and keep Pena cheap while allowing him to pitch the higher leverage situations.
The G.O.A.T.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:26 pm

Great work again Havok. ;-D
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:33 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
Half Massed wrote:Should Street get traded (although Beane says that's not the plan, and he just signed him to a one year extension to avoid arbitration) or get injured, I would think that Embree, then Casilla would get a shot before Devine, at least until Devine shows he's comfortable at the major league level.

Logically, Beane went after Devine for a reason. Was it to replace Street as the closer in event of a trade? Not sure. Also, I read last year when Street came back that if he went on the DL again that Casilla would get a shot at the closers job.

I think Devine will replace Street eventually, but not this year. The A's are comitted to rebuilding, and Street will command around $5.0 - $5.5 mill in arbitration next year. But he cant become a free agent until after the 2010 season. The way I see it, theyd only trade Street this year if theyd get a lot in return cause at $3.3 mill this year, he is still a cheap option, and he is under controll for two more years after 2008.
the awesome sig by soty

Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:59 pm

Rounders wrote:
Old_Style wrote:
os_gamejunkie wrote:This is a great thread..good work.

Just one note on the Cubs closer though. With the Cubs renting Lieber for a year, I would think Dempster will be closing again this year backed up by Howry then either Wood/Marmol. Marmol does have filthy stuff, but I'm not if he's closer material yet or if Lou does either.

I keep hearing that the Brian Roberts deal is going to be finalized sometime next week.
If this is true, Marshall would be on his way out. So, that would leave Zambrano, Lilly, Hill, and Lieber locked into the rotation. Dempster and Marquis will duke it out for the fifth spot, so I think closer role is still very much up in the air.

Ideally, I think the Cubs should keep Dempster as their closer, with Howry setting up and Marmol/Wood in the 6/7 inning role.

Agreed that it's still very much up in the air. I don't think you can pencil in Dempster. The problem is that Dempster never wanted to be a closer, he likes starting, so they will move him to the rotation if they have the room (if the Roberts trade gets done - though I'd rather see them go after Bedard). I don't know who will end up closing, but I don't think it'll be Dumpster.

I don't think Depster would be ideal as closer. Winning or losing games in April are just as important as winning losing in any other month, but October.
The facts:
The Roberts deal seems to be dead.
So the rotation after Zambrano, Hill and Lilly are up for grabs. I think Lieber will be 4, cause he is a workhorse, and he was signed for a reason. Eventually I think he'll miss some time but Marshall can replace him for the time being.
That leaves Marquis, Marshall, Dempster fighting for the last spot. Im pretty sure that Marquis will be 5 at the start of the season.
He always starts out well. Then he'll move to the pen in the second half, and Marshall can take his spot.
So theres no need for Dempster. He hasnt had a good season as a starter since 2000 when he was in Florida.
That would put the 'Dumpster project' back to the pen. I dont think that either Piniella or Dempster wants to go back there again.
And lets face it. Marmol or Wood would be much better option at closer.
But this creates the problem that Dempster doin mopup while earning $5.5 million.
So ideally a Dempster trade would do only good for everybody.
Personally I would go with Wood at closer, cause Marmol is the guy who could come in with bases loaded and strike out the side any time.
And Wood has incentives to earn: he can make an additional $3.45 million in performance bonuses based largely on games finished from 20 to 55.
Its a win win situation for everybody.
the awesome sig by soty

Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers