2008 Closers Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2008 Closers Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who would be the best closer going forward?

Masa Kobayashi - Cle
19%
Damaso Marte - Pit
19%
Grant Balfour - TB
11%
Dan Wheeler - TB
13%
Jason Isringhausen - Stl
9%
Joel Zumaya - Det
16%
Eric Gagne - Mil
2%
Taylor Tankersley - Fla
11%

Total votes : 170

Re: 2008 Closers Thread

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:23 am

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:Hey Havok, great call on Marte being a possible trade candidate. Pirates suck, and next year he has a club option at 6 million. There's no way Pittsburgh would pick that up

Yep, the 1st page write up says it all.

Oops. Wasted research, haha. Havoc, what do you think happens if Marte loses the job? Do you have any faith in Yates actually holding it (he would probably get first shot)? Personally, I think it would be a complete disaster and a CBBC (Closer by Blown Saves Committe) until Capps got back ;-D

As I have said to in the past, I don't think the Pirates should/would trust Yates in ninth if/when Marte is traded. Yates currently has more Walks than Strikeouts and he does not have good control. Plus, he's given up a run in 4 of his last 5 outings. So, yes, it would be a disaster in my mind. I think the Pirates would be much more comfortable using Grabow as the closer until Capps comes back but Grabow is also in demand as a trade piece and is better suited for situational setup duty. The best arm in the pen is former 1st round pick Sean Burnett as he systematically converting from starter to reliever due to past injuries. Something else that could happen is that one of the teams that they trade Marte and/or Grabow to could include a COTF type in the trade who could pitch in the closers role until Capps gets back. A few players that come to mind are Craig Hansen from the Red Sox, Joe Bisenius from the Phillies, Mark Melancon from the Yankees, or Jonathan Meloan from the Dodgers. Just a thought though.

This article here shows that the Pirates management is beginning to trust him a lot more in the latter innings of the game...Jul 10 LHP Sean Burnett has worked his way into a spot where he will be called on in more late-inning pressure situations, according to manager John Russell. Burnett has allowed just one run in his last eight outings and 10 1/3 innings until giving up the winning run in the seventh inning Wednesday. yahoosports
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 134)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:19 am

Havok1517 wrote:Current Closers Rumored to be traded this season...

Jon Rauch, George Sherrill, Huston Street, Brandon Lyon, Kevin Gregg, Brian Fuentes, & Damaso Marte.

Add Kevin Gregg to this list. He's currently the highest paid Marlins player ($2.5 Million) and is due for arbitration after this season. Expect the Marlins to sell like always.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby mak1277 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:09 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
Yep, the 1st page write up says it all.

Oops. Wasted research, haha. Havoc, what do you think happens if Marte loses the job? Do you have any faith in Yates actually holding it (he would probably get first shot)? Personally, I think it would be a complete disaster and a CBBC (Closer by Blown Saves Committe) until Capps got back ;-D

As I have said to in the past, I don't think the Pirates should/would trust Yates in ninth if/when Marte is traded. Yates currently has more Walks than Strikeouts and he does not have good control. Plus, he's given up a run in 4 of his last 5 outings. So, yes, it would be a disaster in my mind. I think the Pirates would be much more comfortable using Grabow as the closer until Capps comes back but Grabow is also in demand as a trade piece and is better suited for situational setup duty. The best arm in the pen is former 1st round pick Sean Burnett as he systematically converting from starter to reliever due to past injuries. Something else that could happen is that one of the teams that they trade Marte and/or Grabow to could include a COTF type in the trade who could pitch in the closers role until Capps gets back. A few players that come to mind are Craig Hansen from the Red Sox, Joe Bisenius from the Phillies, Mark Melancon from the Yankees, or Jonathan Meloan from the Dodgers. Just a thought though.

This article here shows that the Pirates management is beginning to trust him a lot more in the latter innings of the game...Jul 10 LHP Sean Burnett has worked his way into a spot where he will be called on in more late-inning pressure situations, according to manager John Russell. Burnett has allowed just one run in his last eight outings and 10 1/3 innings until giving up the winning run in the seventh inning Wednesday. yahoosports

Burnett's not going to close. I just don't see it. He's not pitched a 1-2-3 inning in his last 11 outings, or something similarly horrible. To say Burnett's the best arm in the 'pen is, well, damning with faint praise.

I don't know that Marte is a slam dunk to be traded though. The word is that he is likely on his way toward becoming a type A free agent...the Pirates would have to get a better return than the 2 picks he'd net them under that situation. There's certainly no guarantee of that happening.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby jackie hayes » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:28 pm

mak1277 wrote:Burnett's not going to close. I just don't see it. He's not pitched a 1-2-3 inning in his last 11 outings, or something similarly horrible. To say Burnett's the best arm in the 'pen is, well, damning with faint praise.

I don't know that Marte is a slam dunk to be traded though. The word is that he is likely on his way toward becoming a type A free agent...the Pirates would have to get a better return than the 2 picks he'd net them under that situation. There's certainly no guarantee of that happening.

I thought, though, that if a team held an option for someone, but declined it, they were not allowed to offer arbitration to that player (which must be done in order to get the compensatory picks). Am I wrong on that?
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 65)

Postby fonzo2 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:11 pm

jackie hayes wrote:
mak1277 wrote:Burnett's not going to close. I just don't see it. He's not pitched a 1-2-3 inning in his last 11 outings, or something similarly horrible. To say Burnett's the best arm in the 'pen is, well, damning with faint praise.

I thought, though, that if a team held an option for someone, but declined it, they were not allowed to offer arbitration to that player (which must be done in order to get the compensatory picks). Am I wrong on that?

I do not believe that is correct. Once a player becomes a free agent (e.g., contract expires, as option not picked-up), the former team has until 12/1 to offer arbotration to FA's or lose the compensatory picks, if such player is rated as a Type A or B. Marte would need to be in the upper 20% of players at his position to be a Type A, using the formula in the CBA.
fonzo2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jackie hayes » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:08 pm

fonzo2 wrote:
jackie hayes wrote:

I do not believe that is correct. Once a player becomes a free agent (e.g., contract expires, as option not picked-up), the former team has until 12/1 to offer arbotration to FA's or lose the compensatory picks, if such player is rated as a Type A or B. Marte would need to be in the upper 20% of players at his position to be a Type A, using the formula in the CBA.

I think you're right on this. What I was saying seems to be a common belief (a lot of people seem to ask the same question for other players), but I checked the CBA, and it seems that declining an option doesn't really matter. My bad.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 65)

Postby Dr. StrangeGlove » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:04 pm

Anyone care to speculate on the value of Balfour or Wheeler with possible Rays trade rumors and the return of Percival post ASB?
Dr. StrangeGlove
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:17 pm

Dr. StrangeGlove wrote:Anyone care to speculate on the value of Balfour or Wheeler with possible Rays trade rumors and the return of Percival post ASB?

Why would they deal away relief pitching when they need relief pitching? :-?
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. StrangeGlove » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:34 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
Dr. StrangeGlove wrote:Anyone care to speculate on the value of Balfour or Wheeler with possible Rays trade rumors and the return of Percival post ASB?

Why would they deal away relief pitching when they need relief pitching? :-?

I didn't mean dealing away those two but acquiring a closer and Percivals place when he returns.
Dr. StrangeGlove
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:12 pm

CLOSING-IN WEEKLY

Since the injury to Matt Capps (Reportedly out for 2 months), Damaso Marte has laid claim to the closers role in Pittsburgh. He is currently 3-3 in save chances and has yet to give up a hit or run in his outings since becoming the closer, though has had given up 1 walk in each opp. Marte has always had good stuff and even spent time closing with the White Sox before moving to the Pirates. So, if you have the room and are thinking about who the guy in Pit is...its Marte. Something to remember is that the Pirates have a $6 million dollar club option on Marte for 2009 which is a $4 million dollar raise from the $2 million dollars he is earning now. Because of this, and because the Pirates are non-contenders and a low payroll team, Marte is a likely trade candidate and when Capps gets back from his injury he is almost assured to get his job back even if Marte is still on the team or not. If Marte is traded he will more than likely find himself in a setup position on a contending team which will pretty much tank any value Marte currently has.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers