2008 Closers Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2008 Closers Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who would be the best closer going forward?

Masa Kobayashi - Cle
19%
Damaso Marte - Pit
19%
Grant Balfour - TB
11%
Dan Wheeler - TB
13%
Jason Isringhausen - Stl
9%
Joel Zumaya - Det
16%
Eric Gagne - Mil
2%
Taylor Tankersley - Fla
11%

Total votes : 170

Re: 2008 Closers Thread

Postby SteveJeltzPhanClub » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:35 am

Let's talk about Kobayashi in CLE. Is there any reason to believe that he won't be closing by the end of the season? Borowski has to be on a pretty short leash, and Betancourt hasn't shown that he can handle the CL duties in the past. Kobayashi appears to have been a stud in Japan. Anyone have any thoughts on this situation (I'm hoping this the right place to ask this question)?
SteveJeltzPhanClub
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Old_Style » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:45 am

Joe Borowski doesn't have the most glamorous numbers, but he seems to do just enough to get the job done.
I could see Borowski losing his closer duties though and Betancourt not being up to the task again. There's no reason not to think Kobayashi would get a shot at closing sometime next season.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CadensDad » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:43 am

I got Chris Ray in my Dynasty League stashed away any chance he comes back in as the closer in Baltimore anytime?

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:52 am

CadensDad wrote:I got Chris Ray in my Dynasty League stashed away any chance he comes back in as the closer in Baltimore anytime?

Havok would know better than anyone, but I think I heard that they expect him to be the closer when he comes back next season :-?
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CadensDad » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:54 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
CadensDad wrote:I got Chris Ray in my Dynasty League stashed away any chance he comes back in as the closer in Baltimore anytime?

Havok would know better than anyone, but I think I heard that they expect him to be the closer when he comes back next season :-?

You want him to stash on your roster in the 12AM?

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby JTWood » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:29 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:

Yeah, he's out until next year.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby ayebatter » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:44 am

Nice work as usual Havoc, always a great read, thanks. ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1387)

Postby Half Massed » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:05 am

Havok1517 wrote:
Half Massed wrote:Should Street get traded (although Beane says that's not the plan, and he just signed him to a one year extension to avoid arbitration) or get injured, I would think that Embree, then Casilla would get a shot before Devine, at least until Devine shows he's comfortable at the major league level.

Logically, Beane went after Devine for a reason. Was it to replace Street as the closer in event of a trade? Not sure. Also, I read last year when Street came back that if he went on the DL again that Casilla would get a shot at the closers job.

I'd trust what actually happened last year, which is Embree filling in for Street. Here's a more detailed view of what I think would happen based on last year: Beginning of the year, if Street gets injured for a short time, Embree fills in alone. If Street gets traded in the beginning to mid-year, Casilla takes over, sharing some duties with Embree (unless Casilla completely dominates of course). If Devine shows that he's comfortable and at least moderately successful at the major league level and Street gets traded later in the year, he takes over the closer role, sharing it with Embree until he feels comfortable there.

I happen to think the A's won't put Devine in the closer role unless Street gets traded (i.e. he won't fill in if Street gets injured). Given Devine's past, getting him comfortable at the major league level in a set role is more important to the A's at this point than him getting saves. They're not going to put pressure on him until he proves himself, so Embree and Casilla are going to get the save chances in event of injury, at least for the beginning of the year.

Essentially, I'd rank them Embree, Casilla, Devine for the beginning of the year in terms of save chances, although probably the opposite of that in terms of talent/future chance at being a closer.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Dark Knight » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:28 pm

According to the Baltimore Sun, the Orioles are discussing a 1 year deal with Octavio Dotel to be thier closer.
Dark Knight
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DRAFTAHOLIC » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:30 pm

It is my understanding that Zach Grienke will be a closer somewhere in 2008.

D
DRAFTAHOLIC
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers