2008 Closers Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2008 Closers Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who would be the best closer going forward?

Masa Kobayashi - Cle
19%
Damaso Marte - Pit
19%
Grant Balfour - TB
11%
Dan Wheeler - TB
13%
Jason Isringhausen - Stl
9%
Joel Zumaya - Det
16%
Eric Gagne - Mil
2%
Taylor Tankersley - Fla
11%

Total votes : 170

Re: 2008 Closers Thread

Postby kentx12 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:54 am

Great work Havok ;-D

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby in10s » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:15 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:Chris Perez is the closer of the future for the Cardinals.

Good call Pogo.

Perez (22 years old) is indeed an interesting prospect, listed #2 in Baseball America's St. Louis top 10. That seems kind of high because he still has control problems. Even so, When you add the fact that both Izzy and Franklin are in their mid 30s it makes Perez interesting. Here are his 2007 stats:

AA, 40.2IP, 17H, 28BB, 62K
AAA 14IP, 6H, 13BB, 15K

Not sure he makes the roster this spring, and I doubt he gets lots of chances in '08, but could be the man in a year are two. (Although it is so hard to predict RPs) For Havok's list, I think Perez should be listed as #3 as he has it now, although you could argue he might be better placed in the section of "Potential Closers-of-the-future."

(also, Havok, thanks for your thoughts why you had Saito as looking over the shoulder.)
in10s
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:25 am

in10s wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Chris Perez is the closer of the future for the Cardinals.

Good call Pogo.

Perez (22 years old) is indeed an interesting prospect, listed #2 in Baseball America's St. Louis top 10. That seems kind of high because he still has control problems. Even so, When you add the fact that both Izzy and Franklin are in their mid 30s it makes Perez interesting. Here are his 2007 stats:

AA, 40.2IP, 17H, 28BB, 62K
AAA 14IP, 6H, 13BB, 15K

Not sure he makes the roster this spring, and I doubt he gets lots of chances in '08, but could be the man in a year are two. (Although it is so hard to predict RPs) For Havok's list, I think Perez should be listed as #3 as he has it now, although you could argue he might be better placed in the section of "Potential Closers-of-the-future."

(also, Havok, thanks for your thoughts why you had Saito as looking over the shoulder.)

I think the plan is to have him close at AAA this year and maybe get the call to the majors late in the season if he does well. For this year I expect Franklin to close if Izzy goes down. Izzy is only signed for 2008 and Franklin is signed until 2009 with an option for 2010 , so next year could be really interesting if Izzy isn't re-signed.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby ensanimal » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:35 am

Really nice work Havok. Much appreciated as always. ;-D
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby Broncmet724 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:52 am

Was looking at doing a very bare bones thread this morning. You beat me to it Havok, and I must say it's a great job. Thanks!
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SignGuy » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:01 pm

Any real chance Liz or Hoey closing in Baltimore this year?
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby triple3play » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:09 pm

im in a deep dynasty league and i was thinking about picking up a future closer. Now, i know chris perez is pretty much a sure lock to be closing in St. Louis sometime soon but hes already taken in my leageu. Are there any other close to sure bets that will begin closing in a year or two or even three. thanks guys
triple3play
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Simulacrum » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:15 pm

Havoc, this thread is a work of art (as usual). Very nice. ;-D

Two things to share.

The arizona papers are reporting that the D-Backs will be splitting closing chores between Lyon and Pena. I imagine that will be the case early in the season, until one of them sputters or the other runs away with the job.

The last article I read about the Cubs closer situation was that Howry and/or Wood would be doing the closing, with Dempster moving to the rotation. No mention of Marmol.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:25 pm

SignGuy wrote:Any real chance Liz or Hoey closing in Baltimore this year?

Liz is less likely than Hoey and would be even more less likely if/when Bedard is dealt. Hoey is a possibility but he really only has 1 MLB worthy pitch, his high 90's fastball that often times is very straight. He needs more development on a secondary pitch. Unless Hoey has a fantastic ST, I say he doesn't see time as the closer until there is a grave need or he develops another MLB-caliber pitch. Also, keep in mind Hoey has alreayd had 1 TJ surgery. But aside from Cabrera, I'd say Hoey has the most upside amongst current relievers.

Current RP Upside:

F. Cabrera
J. Hoey
R. Cherry
C. Doyne
J. Walker
C. Bradford

w/ starters at closer

D. Cabrera
F. Cabrera
R. Liz
H. Penn