Crew's Chances in '08? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Milwaukee Brewers

Crew's Chances in '08?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Crew's Chances in '08?

Postby Phineas Lives » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:08 am

I know everyone is still focused on the Pack, but I can't help but be a little giddy over the squad's chances this year. The biggest drag is all the talent the other clubs have brought into the division (Fukedome, Tejada, etc.). What do we think of the chances that the Brewers make the next step to the playoffs in '08?

~Phineas
Phineas Lives
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Standing in Line for Season Tickets for the New Twins Stadium!!!!!

Re: Crew's Chances in '08?

Postby Steve-o » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:28 pm

People are sleeping on them this year compared to last year. It will be a close race in teh NL central and if anybody gets to 90 wins, I think the brewers can. I asked about the playoffs in a recent BP chat:

sjstraub (NJ via WI): Cubs and Reds mentioned about playoffs, yet no Brewers? Does that mean you are not big on the Cameron signing? Or the pitching, or what?

Nate Silver: Actually, looking a few more numbers, if I had to guess PECOTA might well have the Brewers in the playoffs instead of the Cubs. I just sort of have this mental block about any team that has Jason Kendall on its 25-man roster.

One of the projections that surprised me was that PECOTA really buys into Ryan Braun's bat, and if he's moved away from third base, there should be nothing stopping him from being one of the best hitters in the league. And that pitching staff ... Yovani Gallardo ... yep, lot to like there.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kretz330 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:13 pm

I'm not sleeping on the Brewers this year. I like what they've done in the offseason to give themselves a chance. They really beefed up their bullpen with Gagne, Riske, and Torres. That, in itself, might give them enough of a boost from last year. Then they added Mike Cameron and Jason Kendall. If their starting pitching stays healthy this season, I don't see why they wouldn't be battling for the NL Central pennant this year.
kretz330
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jeter2411 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:06 pm

I think they have a chance to set the single season record for home runs by a team. The record is 264 (249 in the NL) by the 1997 Seattle Mariners. Here is what I see as possibilities (keep in mind these may be stretches or ceilings, but possible):

Fielder 50
Braun 40
Hall 35
Cameron 25
Hart 30
Hardy 25
Weeks 30
Kendall 5 (might be the biggest stretch on the list) :-b

Bench players 15 (total from Gross, Gwynn, Counsell, Kapler)

Obviously every player reaching their ceiling is unlikely, but it could happen...they will almsot surely surpass last years total and they led the league!
jeter2411
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby SportsJunkie » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:26 pm

I am a big time Brewers Fan. I strongly believe that they have a good chance in winning the division this year. This team is young and very talented. Lets hope for two things from this team. The injury bug doesn't come. Especially from their pitching staff. Plus the Sophmore Wall. We need to maintain the gas and floor it to the metal all year long. If we can do that and no major injuries I like our chances.
SportsJunkie
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Milwaukee Brewers