Party could cost kid $20K - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Party could cost kid $20K

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Party could cost kid $20K

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:38 pm

Wild times in Australia, mate! :-b

Teen faces $20,000 bill for wild party

MELBOURNE - A Melbourne teenager who threw a wild party while his parents were away is facing the possibility of a $20,000 police bill.

Victorian Police Commissioner Christine Nixon said the cost of breaking up the 500-strong crowd of drunken youths in Narre Warren South on Saturday night was about $20,000, if not more.

About 30 officers, a police helicopter and the dog squad were called to the party in Galloway Drive about 11pm (AEDT).

Teenagers pelted police vehicles with glass bottles and damaged property.

Ms Nixon said the behaviour toward police was appalling.

She said police were considering billing the boy, to spare the community the cost.

"I'm very unhappy about it, watching police officers treated in that fashion,'' Ms Nixon said.

"That young man invited hundreds of people to his house, not responsible at all in any way, 500 people turned up and caused great harm to the community, a great deal of expense to Victoria Police.''

The crowd eventually dispersed and no-one was arrested.

The boy, Corey, told Channel Nine he knew he had invited a lot of people but could not remember how the party started.

"I was just off my head,'' he said.

He said he had notified his neighbours.

"We warned them, we said the party would be finished at like 12(am) and they were like 'sweet, sweet, sweet,' but then they called the cops anyway, so we were like 'oh, damn','' he said.

Ms Nixon said she was disappointed the youth seemed to have shown no remorse.

"That young man didn't even seem like he was repentant,'' she said.

"I think he needs to learn a lesson and one way or another, we'll do that.''

Ms Nixon said police occasionally billed members of the public.

"In this case, our cars have been damaged, it will be difficult for us to determine exactly who damaged the cars, but that young man called the party, invited people there and has a responsibility,'' she said.

Victoria's Acting Premier Rob Hulls said he had been told the parents were unaware the party was being organised and were "horrified'' and extremely apologetic when police told them what had happened.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7870
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Re: Party could cost kid $20K

Postby thedude » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:56 pm

This boy has got a few Kangaroos loose in the top paddock if he thinks 500 mates drinking the amber liquid wouldn't draw the attention of the soggies.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8413
(Past Year: 90)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Re: Party could cost kid $20K

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:49 pm

i dont know how taxes work in the land down under, but isnt that why people pay taxes? regardless of what happens, i dont think citizens should be forces to pay any bills for police activity. now, if they're charging them for the damage, then i could understand, but for dispatching, etc, that's crazy. musta been one wild party though ;-D
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
(Past Year: 65)
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Re: Party could cost kid $20K

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:54 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:i dont know how taxes work in the land down under, but isnt that why people pay taxes? regardless of what happens, i dont think citizens should be forces to pay any bills for police activity. now, if they're charging them for the damage, then i could understand, but for dispatching, etc, that's crazy. musta been one wild party though ;-D

I see your reasoning, but I have to disagree with it. Just because I pay taxes that shouldn't give me the right to completely lose my mind and make the police come over to my house every night. At some point I have to be held responsible for my actions. This kid's actions were simply above and beyond what a good citizen should be expected to do. No way should he get off the hook for this stupidity.

Now, $20K may be a bit much for his "crime," but he should have to pay something.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7870
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Re: Party could cost kid $20K

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:59 pm

knapplc wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:i dont know how taxes work in the land down under, but isnt that why people pay taxes? regardless of what happens, i dont think citizens should be forces to pay any bills for police activity. now, if they're charging them for the damage, then i could understand, but for dispatching, etc, that's crazy. musta been one wild party though ;-D

I see your reasoning, but I have to disagree with it. Just because I pay taxes that shouldn't give me the right to completely lose my mind and make the police come over to my house every night. At some point I have to be held responsible for my actions. This kid's actions were simply above and beyond what a good citizen should be expected to do. No way should he get off the hook for this stupidity.

Now, $20K may be a bit much for his "crime," but he should have to pay something.


ok, well charge him for disturbing the peace, underage drinking, lewd behavior, take away his license, (if his first offense) give him some probation and maybe community service, and a fine, somewhere around $500-$1000 (+court fees of course). you cant charge him for use of a helicopter, dispatching 200 officers, rental for guns, yada yada yada.
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
(Past Year: 65)
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Re: Party could cost kid $20K

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:03 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:you cant charge him for use of a helicopter, dispatching 200 officers, rental for guns, yada yada yada.

I really think you can. It is not reasonable to think that you and I as "normal" citizens living out a "normal" day would require 200 officers, guns, helicopters, etc for whatever situation we get into. That's far beyond the normal call of duty, and the taxes we pay don't compensate the state for that.

Think about this - if 200 people a year, a pittance of the overall tax base, had parties like this every year, how long would it take before taxes were raised, or at the very least for the Police to run out of funds? Not long, I'm guessing.

It's only barely OK in this instance because it doesn't happen very often. But if Australian police departments run on the same kinds of budgets most American departments run on, this is far, far too much money for the police to spend because some nitwit kid wanted to have a huge beer bash.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7870
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Re: Party could cost kid $20K

Postby Madison » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:13 pm

knapplc wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:you cant charge him for use of a helicopter, dispatching 200 officers, rental for guns, yada yada yada.

I really think you can.


Most certainly. ;-D

My kid brother blew out a tire and hit a guardrail. Bill from the city for guardrail damage - $500.

Taxpayers are not responsible to pay the bills for things like this. It doesn't come out of the "general fund" or anything. Just imagine the retribution if it did. My taxes go up because of this kid? I'd be calling for his head. Others may take matters into their own hands, which of course would get ugly.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: Party could cost kid $20K

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:29 pm

thedude wrote:This boy has got a few Kangaroos loose in the top paddock if he thinks 500 mates drinking the amber liquid wouldn't draw the attention of the soggies.

I'm going to need the RynMan seal of approval on this post. That almost sounded legit.

:-b
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
(Past Year: 18)
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Party could cost kid $20K

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:00 pm

Give me a break, I was just trying to throw a party and be a cool kid and now they're charging me 20K!
Image

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3540
(Past Year: 135)
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Party could cost kid $20K

Postby Half Massed » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:28 pm

Kid in Hot Water wrote:"We warned them, we said the party would be finished at like 12(am) and they were like 'sweet, sweet, sweet,' but then they called the cops anyway, so we were like 'oh, damn','' he said.


Does anyone else find this quote hilarious? :-D

Anyways, I agree with Snakes here, the kid should be held responsible for whatever damage was done by his party and its members, and they can charge him with handfuls of infractions, but he shouldn't have to pay the literal cost of the police's work.

On the other hand, threatening him with that bill is a good idea. It will truly hammer in exactly how much the consequences of doing something like he did really are. In the end though, actually making him pay it is too much.
Image
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 4084
Joined: 27 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Busting ghosts

Next

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: assiquate, DarnellPn, unioreimi and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Sunday, Apr. 20
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at Cleveland
(1:05 pm)
LA Angels at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
Seattle at Miami
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Atlanta at NY Mets
(1:10 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(1:35 pm)
St. Louis at Washington
(1:35 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(1:40 pm)
indoors
Minnesota at Kansas City
(2:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Chi White Sox at Texas
(3:05 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
Arizona at LA Dodgers
(4:10 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(4:10 pm)
Baltimore at Boston
(7:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact