top catching prospects - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

top catching prospects

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: top catching prospects

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:48 pm

huztlers wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:I'm interested to see how many AB Clement gets this year. He had an good OBP in the minors so you are right it depends how the lineup shakes out.

Wieters 15 HR season came in 68 games and 259 AB. Plus it is kind of hard to improve when you have an OPS over 1.000 every year.

Not looking for a huge debate, but 15 HR against college pitching swinging an aluminum bat is not impressive.

It just isn't about the HR. You're talking about a catcher that finished in the ACC's top ten of SLG% and OBP for 3 straight years. Now I realize it is just college but I would love to see what he can do as a professional.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby auclairkeithbc » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:44 pm

cardinal1975 wrote:I believe when we talk about Wieters a few things need to be remembered as we have this debate.

1. Most scouts had him as the top prospect in the draft this past summer

;-D

nah. he was considered top 5 by most for sure. but #1 by very few.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cardinal1975 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:02 am

The reason he went #5 to Balt is not due to talent. It was mostly his price tag and other teams needs. Tampa was going to take the best pitcher at #1, being Price....arguably the top prospect in the draft. KC was too cheap to take Wieters and signed Moose for 3 million less. Ditto that for the Pirates at #4 when they took a college senior, Moskos from Clemson. And of course the Cubbies continually try to fill 3B and took Vitters at #3. Price, Wieters, Porcello, and Moose were the top four players available(in that order or with Wieters and Price flipped) according to Baseball America, ESPN, and several other sources. Apparently Porcello was not a top pick either due to his being picked at #27. The draft is mainly about price tags for the cheaper franchises, which is why Wieters was available at #5 to start with.
cardinal1975
College Coach
College Coach

Postby auclairkeithbc » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:37 am

i am aware of the price tag issue, which occurred with porcello for sure, but i don't think most scouts thought he was #1.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thedude » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:51 am

auclairkeithbc wrote:i am aware of the price tag issue, which occurred with porcello for sure, but i don't think most scouts thought he was #1.

Most scouts thought that he was the best college hitter, of not the best hitter overall. Most people did consider Price to be the better prospect.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby thedude » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:54 am

Wieters also has the higher ceiling tham Clement, has better defense (and thus is more likely to stick at the position) and is not blocked (Clement is blocked). Clement is closer to the majors, but Wieters won't be far behind.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby MaudDib » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:36 pm

Hank Conger is been given a spot for spring training which doesn't mean a whole lot but he has a good bat and could be one of the better catchers out there. He doesn't have a lot of experience yet but does have the skills.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball