Critique My Minor League Draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Critique My Minor League Draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Critique My Minor League Draft

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:47 pm

I'm in the middle of my first minor league draft ever. I don't know a lot about the minors so I've had to rely largely on rankings and the opinions of others. I'm not really sure how I'm doing (we're in round 16 of 30 right now) so any constructive criticism would be appreciated.

General League Rules:
--Standard H2H League
--Salary Cap League: Player Values - Round 1 ($20), Round 2 ($19), Round 3 ($18), etc.
--::Contract Years::
5 Year Deals-5
4 Year Deals-6
3 Year Deals-7
2 Year Deals- Unlimited
1 Year Deals- Unlimited
--When a players contract runs out you have the option of renewing the contract for 2.5 times the amount (ie. resigning a 1st round pick ($20) would cost $50)

Minor Leaguers:

Catcher:
Hank Conger - ANA (6)

First Base:
Lars Anderson - Bos (6)
Steven Pearce - Pit (10)

Second Base:
Emilio Jose Bonifacio - Ari (16)

Short Stop:

Third Base:
Angel Villalona - SF (7)

Outfield:
Ryan Sweeney - CWS (8)
Dexter Fowler - Col (8)
Wladimir Balentien - Sea (9)
Michael Bourn - Hou (15)

Starting Pitchers:
Homer Bailey - Cin (1)
Franklin Morales - Col (3)
Jeff Niemann - TB (5)
Kevin Slowey - Mn (9)
Tim Aldesron - SF (13)

Relief Pitchers:
Justin Masterson - Bos (8)
Hideki Okajima - Bos (11)
Brian Wilson - SF (12)
Jonathan Meloan - LAD (14)

Here's my Major League Team (We're in Round 22 of 30):
C- Joe Mauer, MN ($17, __ yrs)
1B- Derrek Lee, CHC ($14, __ yrs)
2B- Dan Uggla, FLA ($11, __ yrs)
SS- Jose Reyes, NYM ($20, __ yrs)
3B- Troy Glaus, Tor ($2, __ yrs)
LF- Alfonso Soriano, CHC ($19, __ yrs)
CF- Andruw Jones, LAD ($5, __ yrs)
RF- Vladimir Guerrero, ANA ($18, __ yrs)
Util- Adrian Gonzalez, SD ($10, __ yrs)
Util- Bobby Abreu, NYY ($9, __ yrs)

SP- Johan Santana, MN ($19, __ yrs)
SP- Roy Halladay, Tor ($15, __ yrs)
SP- A.J. Burnett, Tor ($8, __ yrs)
SP- John Maine, NYM ($7, __ yrs)
SP- Brett Myers, PHI ($6, __ yrs)
RP- Francisco Rodriguez, ANA ($15, __ yrs)
RP- Chad Cordero, Was ($8, __ yrs)
P- Ian Snell, Pit ($4, __ yrs)
P- Jeremy Guthrie ($1, __ yrs)
P-

bench- Jim Thome ($3, __ yrs)
bench- Kenji Johjima ($1, __ yrs)
bench- Juan Pierre ($1, __ yrs)

--::Contract Years (for major league players)::
5 Year Deals-3
4 Year Deals-4
3 Year Deals-5
2 Year Deals-7
1 Year Deals- Unlimited
--A player can be called up to your major league team at any time and their salary stays with you minor league team until their contract runs out.

It's a long post...but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance ;-D ;-D
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Critique My Minor League Draft

Postby thomasps3 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:09 am

Nice team so far in terms of players on your minors roster. Although your infield is extremely young (Lars is in Low A, Villalona will turn 18 this year), you have done a good job of securing some good, but not spectacular, talent. I tend to think that Conger will not end up behind the dish, which really hurts his value as a hitter, with his above average power, because he doesn't have the bat to carry you in roto as a first baseman. But Lars certainly does. The folks over at Baseball America have him graded out as the best hitter for average and power in the Sox system, and since they are including Ellsbury in the mix, that is saying something about his upside. Pearce is a guy that may have a tough time with LaRoche blocking him in Pittsburgh, but I see him having an ability, in his prime, to hit 25+ HRs with a somewhat mediocre average.

Bonifacio - A guy that is more toolsy than elite performer, and profiles as a better "real" mlb player than rotisserie one, although for me to say anything more would be remiss.

Angel Villalona - The jewel of your system. A long ways away, but plus plus power and excellent arm give him the ability to be the next foundational player the Giants develop. Of all the guys you have, he and Lars are the two I would not trade.

Ryan Sweeney - CWS (8) - Lack of power is becoming a real concern in his development. The lack of a September call-up by the White Sox was as a telling sign of the organizations' loss of faith in him. Subsequent trade to an extreme pitchers park will not help the power numbers of the strong armed RF, but Beane has been correct in the past about players; Do you have OBP as a category in your league?

Dexter Fowler - Col (8) - Excellent prospect. CF of Rockies future, and could be up as soon as '09. Has had his share of injuries, which are on the verge of becoming problematic. He needs to learn to make better contact, projecting to over 125 Ks if he had a full season of 550 ABs. As he matures, he will become stronger, which will allow him to drive the ball with more authority, but don't expect him to be a power hitter. A good comp may be Ellsbury with a better arm in CF. Good choice at this spot.

Homer Bailey - Cin (1) - Star seems to be dimming in some eyes as John Cueto may have overtaken him in some scouts eyes. Still, huge upside, and two plus pitches make him instantly the closest guy to a true ace starter you have.

Kevin Slowey - Mn (9)- Profiles as a middle of the rotation type guy. Thing that makes me nervous about that is in the AL Central, he could go 4.35 era and 1.30 whip and have it called a successful rookie campaign. That is what scares me a bit about rookie pitchers in the AL, and especially AL Central and East.

Relief Pitchers:
Justin Masterson - Bos (8) - Good choice here. Not great, but good. Has an MLB ready sinker/slider combo that is devastating, and his K rate jumped when he was promoted to AA last year as well. If he is used in relief in Boston it limits his upside, but his 6'6 250 lb frame is really projectable and offers hope he'll be able to go the 175-190 innings a rookie starter is often asked to go. With the Sox lineup as good as it is, he could surprise with a September callup in '08.

Hideki Okajima - Bos (11) - Not sure how you got him here, as he spent all of '07 in the bigs with the Red Sox, and posted outstanding numbers. Wouldn't expect another season like it, but a sub 3.5 era with a 1.1 whip would seem to be in the cards.

Brian Wilson - SF (12) - Anointed the closer in SF, he'll be chosen much earlier come closer to Opening Day. Nice choice.

Good luck!
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby stevethumb » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:26 pm

if you are looking for a coupla SS to draft then try chin lung hu (LAD) or alcides escobar (milw) or briann bixler (pitt)
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby AEMRICH » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:48 pm

it would be interesting to see how the entire league draft went. I think you have a couple of nice players on your team, but not a top minors system. You made some nice value picks with Hank Conger, Lars Anderson, Steve Pearce, Wladimir, Bourn in the 15th will likely give you a speedy OF ready to help you this year. Villalona i like a lot but i don't see him helping out for 3-4 more years. Not a bad team though because you some other guys i like as well- Masterson, Meloan, Morales, Bailey- i'd consider moving him though i don't see him as anything better than a number 3 starter, i was able to trade him for Jay Bruce back in October. Right now i think you have a lot of solid guys that need things to go in their favor, i don't really see a guranteed stud like Bruce, Rasmus, Longoira type.
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Return to Minor League & College Baseball