Madison's Kind of Woman - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Madison's Kind of Woman

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Madison's Kind of Woman

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:20 pm

CNN.com wrote: DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) -- Jane Hambleton has dubbed herself the "meanest mom on the planet."

After finding alcohol in her son's car, she decided to sell the car and share her 19-year-old's misdeed with everyone -- by placing an ad in the local newspaper.

The ad reads: "OLDS 1999 Intrigue. Totally uncool parents who obviously don't love teenage son, selling his car. Only driven for three weeks before snoopy mom who needs to get a life found booze under front seat. $3,700/offer. Call meanest mom on the planet."

Hambleton has heard from people besides interested buyers since recently placing the ad in The Des Moines Register.

The 48-year-old from Fort Dodge says she has fielded more than 70 telephone calls from emergency room technicians, nurses, school counselors and even a Georgia man who wanted to congratulate her.

"The ad cost a fortune, but you know what? I'm telling people what happened here," Hambleton says. "I'm not just gonna put the car for resale when there's nothing wrong with it, except the driver made a dumb decision.

"It's overwhelming the number of calls I've gotten from people saying 'Thank you, it's nice to see a responsible parent.' So far there are no calls from anyone saying, 'You're really strict. You're real overboard, lady."'

The only critic is her son, who Hambleton says is "very, very unhappy" with the ad and claims the alcohol was left by a passenger.

Hambleton believes her son but has decided mercy isn't the best policy in this case. She says she set two rules when she bought the car at Thanksgiving: No booze, and always keep it locked.

The car has been sold, but Hambleton says she will continue the ad for another week -- just for the feedback.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Madison's Kind of Woman

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:26 pm

Man, if my car had gotten sold every time I had booze in the car when I was underage... :-°
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:38 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:Man, if my car had gotten sold every time I had booze in the car when I was underage... :-°

Yeah, kinda scary to think of all the stupid things we did when we were teenagers, isn't it? :-o
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:40 pm

Nice. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:49 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:Man, if my car had gotten sold every time I had booze in the car when I was underage... :-°

Yeah, kinda scary to think of all the stupid things we did when we were teenagers, isn't it? :-o

I'm still only 22, so I might still have a couple stupid things up my sleeves. }:-)
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:59 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:

I'm still only 22, so I might still have a couple stupid things up my sleeves. }:-)

I was married by then. Try topping that! ;-7 :-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:09 pm

How old were you when you got married, JT? I was 21 years, four months, 12 days old. ;-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:17 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:Yeah, kinda scary to think of all the stupid things we did when we were teenagers, isn't it? :-o

hahah...nice.

When I was in high school my parents couldn't have taken my car away if they wanted to, although I wasn't dumb enough to drive drunk then, so they didn't really have a reason to...though I did get three speeding tickets before I turned 18, so I was clearly a moron. Anyway, I didn't become dumb enough to drive drunk until my first couple years of college, luckily I realized the stupidity of that before I hurt or killed anyone else or myself, or got a DUI.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:22 pm

knapplc wrote:How old were you when you got married, JT? I was 21 years, four months, 12 days old. ;-D

Hmm... Let's see.

I was 22 years, 8 months, and 14 days old.
She was 18 years, 10 months, and 16 days old.

The judge looked at us like he thought we'd be back next year for the divorce. It was 7 years last Saturday. ;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:24 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:I'm still only 22, so I might still have a couple stupid things up my sleeves. }:-)

hahah...nice.

Holy crap! Art laughed... 8-o 8-o 8-o

I get like a permanent jester icon or something for that, right? I mean, that has to be worth something.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk