need advice for my wife - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

need advice for my wife

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

need advice for my wife

Postby Yoda » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:24 pm

My wife is a high school teacher. One of her students has a history with drug use and another violation would get him expelled. Recently, he was opening his book and a bag of weed fell out. My wife reported it right away but the kid swallowed the evidence and ran away. Now he convinced his parents that my wife is lying and that she accused him of possessing drugs and ran away because of it. He even convinced a few of his friends in the class to lie for him. However, there are many students who also witnessed but I am unsure how many are stepping up to defend her side of the story. All this in order to avoid getting expelled.

The hearing was supposed to be today and they had to cancel since the parents decided to hire an attorney. My wife is going to talk to the union who will obviously hire an attorney for her. Meanwhile, I told her to see a therapist to document all the stress and the aggravation that she is going through due to this ordeal just in case her job is threatened. What do you think? Is there anything else she should do at this point to protect herself? Is her job in jeopardy in anyway?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: need advice for my wife

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:05 pm

Her job better not be in jeopardy. These parents of this kid are pathetic. Kudos to your wife for not backing down on this issue. I'd imagine a great deal of teachers might just turn their heads. I don't know what else she can do to get herself better prepared. As long as she's got the events, history, etc. documented, and a solid lawyer I think you're set to take this on. I can't believe the school district would entertain the defense of a kid with this history. I assume your wife has a good track record and that should help her. Can't they tell if this kid swallowed the weed?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:10 pm

I can't imagine her job would be in jeopardy in any way, provided she has the support of administration, which it sounds like she does. Beyond the avenues she's traveled, I can't see much else she can do at this point. The road is being laid out; all that's left to do is travel down it. It could be a sucky stretch, but it tends to be. Based on what you're saying, there's no way to really tell if this kid is going to get what he deserves or not -- hopefully he does. Too often students are able to squirm their way out of blatant disregard for rules and laws; hopefully that is not the case here. Good luck to your wife and keep us updated on how things go -- I am interested to hear.

Also, her talking to somebody about the stress, etc. that this has all caused is something I would also recommend.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 354)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:11 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Can't they tell if this kid swallowed the weed?

In all likelihood, no.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:11 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Her job better not be in jeopardy. These parents of this kid are pathetic. Kudos to your wife for not backing down on this issue. I'd imagine a great deal of teachers might just turn their heads. I don't know what else she can do to get herself better prepared. As long as she's got the events, history, etc. documented, and a solid lawyer I think you're set to take this on. I can't believe the school district would entertain the defense of a kid with this history. I assume your wife has a good track record and that should help her. Can't they tell if this kid swallowed the weed?

It's the parents that hired the attorney to fight my wife and the school. The school is backing her up but the education department is weak at best.

His parents are obviously lousy human beings since this isn't going to help their kid's future. Instead of finding help for him, they are shifting the blame to other people. In any case, I'm just appalled at how far they are taking this and what they are attempting to accomplish.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:15 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I can't imagine her job would be in jeopardy in any way, provided she has the support of administration, which it sounds like she does. Beyond the avenues she's traveled, I can't see much else she can do at this point. The road is being laid out; all that's left to do is travel down it. It could be a sucky stretch, but it tends to be. Based on what you're saying, there's no way to really tell if this kid is going to get what he deserves or not -- hopefully he does. Too often students are able to squirm their way out of blatant disregard for rules and laws; hopefully that is not the case here. Good luck to your wife and keep us updated on how things go -- I am interested to hear.

Also, her talking to somebody about the stress, etc. that this has all caused is something I would also recommend.

Yes she has the administration's backing since she is a very good teacher and well respected. Also, it is extremely stupid to assume that she would make up lies. What does she have to benefit from such lies?

I am just hoping that this doesn't occupy too much of her time and energy.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RugbyD » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:40 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

In all likelihood, no.

Is it too late for a stool sample?
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:44 pm

RugbyD wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

In all likelihood, no.

Is it too late for a stool sample?

I am presuming so, as Yoda said the hearing was supposed to be today. I'm also unure of sampling of that nature can detect enzymes or whatever on baggies (but let's not go down that route in this thread :-o )
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:03 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

In all likelihood, no.

Then a simple drug test and history should at least help her case that this kid liked to smoke.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:15 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

In all likelihood, no.

Then a simple drug test and history should at least help her case that this kid liked to smoke.

Unfortunately that does nothing from a legal standpoint to put the drugs in his possession at the time Yoda's wife is alleging that he had them. And, baed on what he's sayin, those are the terms in which we are now dealing with. Unfortunate.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk