Best Fantasy Columnist?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best Fantasy Columnist??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Best Fantasy Columnist??

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:25 pm

BigNoise wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:Brad Evans style is like if I had written a fantasy column when I was 13 years old.

And this is why films loaded with juvenile humor (e.g. "Superbad") resonate with me. You're exactly right. Mentally, I'm perpetually 13. Despite my prepubescent view of the world, hopefully you feel my various fantasy musings are at least somewhat enthralling and amusing.

One person you guys failed to mention who might be the highest quality writer among the Y! fantasy brass is my colleague Andy "Grizzly" Behrens. The Grizz is rock solid.

Looking forward to your continued feedback, whether positive or negative, and your support...

Oh yeah I forgot about Behrens (I haven't been over to yahoo fantasy for a few weeks and have the memory of a goldfish) Behrens is really good ;-D
I feel a kinship with you about your man-crushes because I get them as well - in 2008 it is Mike Napoli and Joey Votto
Last year it was Troy Glaus (because he was SS eligible) and Curtis Granderson.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:46 pm

I honestly use the experts here at the Cafe more than anything else out there.

Over at Yahoo, though, Evans and Behrans get ;-D

I enjoy the Big Board by Funston too, if only to make sure I'm not missing anyone when I draft... :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Niffoc4 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:54 pm

Well, they aren't usually talking about fantasy specifically, but the guys they tout quite often turn out well. Nate Silver specifically tends to pick out some guys that PECOTA supports and others don't, and they normally turn out well. Last year it was Dustin Pedroia (especially in my 20-team OPS league), the year before it was Ryan Howard (as 1st round value... I got him in the 4th). Wily Mo's big year with the Reds a couple of years back was also picked out by PECOTA.
I also like Tim Dierkes (rotoauthority.com), Pouliot and Gleeman (at rotoworld), the guys at hardballtimes, Dan Symborski (sp?) of the Transaction Oracle, and of course the Cafe!
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 16)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:10 pm

It's not a column but I have to mention Jeff Erickson from Rotowire.com's 'Fantasy Focus' show on XM 175. It's on at noon weekdays during the season and it's definitely worth a listen to keep your finger on the fantasy pulse. He does some good commentary and takes a lot of calls as well.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:41 pm

I'm going to vote againt Tim Kurkjian.

Is CC better than Johan? Let me sum up his comparison:

Here's 4 years of Johan's awesomeness.
Let's contrast it against CC's "career year."

Seriously... :-S :-S :-S
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Ratdog90 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:49 am

I agree with whoever said Derek Carty. He was recruited by THe Hardball Times last year and his analysis is just that...analysis, not hyperbole or other unsubstantiated opinion. He directed me to both Shields and Perez last year, both players I was able to nab with my 3rd to last and last pick last year respectively.

Another that has not been seen too much (I think he has been focused on hockey which I do not follow) is Pete Becker. He's over at ESPN now and was part of the old Talented Mr. Roto site. With Baseball revving up, I am sure we will see more of him.
Ratdog90
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MotorCityKitties » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:49 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:It's not a column but I have to mention Jeff Erickson from Rotowire.com's 'Fantasy Focus' show on XM 175. It's on at noon weekdays during the season and it's definitely worth a listen to keep your finger on the fantasy pulse. He does some good commentary and takes a lot of calls as well.

That is an excellent show and I think it starts up again in February. I love XM radio.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:23 pm

MotorCityKitties wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:It's not a column but I have to mention Jeff Erickson from Rotowire.com's 'Fantasy Focus' show on XM 175. It's on at noon weekdays during the season and it's definitely worth a listen to keep your finger on the fantasy pulse. He does some good commentary and takes a lot of calls as well.

That is an excellent show and I think it starts up again in February. I love XM radio.

And it's not that Erickson is the greatest mind in fantasy sports or anything. I agree with him sometimes, disagree at others, and think he completely misses the boat from time to time. It's the show itself that's so good...it's well produced and he does a great job as a host.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby BigNoise » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:54 pm

Those of you looking for strong opinions and entertaining analysis on various diamond topics, our (Yahoo!'s) preseason coverage has officially kicked off.

Let the discussion begin...

"Coming of Age" - http://fantasysports.yahoo.com/analysis/news?slug=be-comingofage020608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns&league=fantasy/mlb

"High Fives" - http://fantasysports.yahoo.com/analysis/news?slug=ys-highfives_020608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns&league=fantasy/mlb

Preseason Position Ranks - http://fantasysports.yahoo.com/analysis/news?slug=ys-08expertpoll-preseason1-1b&prov=yhoo&type=lgns&league=fantasy/mlb
BigNoise
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:13 am

Big Pimpin wrote:I vote for Tavish, RUMP, and HOOTIE. I'm a groupie. B-)

Agree completely, and I'd be inclined to add GTWMA to that list as well.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 119)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers