Best Fantasy Columnist?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best Fantasy Columnist??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Best Fantasy Columnist??

Postby SignGuy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:26 pm

I cant stand anyone from CBS, they are terrible.
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JDD » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:02 pm

Almost everyone I read on a national level is posting things I have read in other places.........wait for it........two to three weeks ago. These guys are only good for transactions. They can usually get a column out within a day of a trade or signing, and then give us some insight into what will be next for that team.

The best fantasy advice usually comes from other sources, or what you can read from a mock draft you conduct yourself. I don't need to read about trends. I can see them for myself.

It's as if these national guys come into places like FBC and listen for the buzz... then go report on it. If we are the source, why bother paying attention?
--JDD
JDD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:49 pm

BP, thanks buddy. The check is in the mail.

He's not really fantasy, but he's the guy i respect most, a genius in bb analysis, Keith Law. Tango Tiger there as well.

Keith Law, formerly of BP, Toronto Blue Jays, now at Scouts, Inc.

Ron Shandler is fantasy based, and deserves props for HQ.

I don't pay much attention the guys mentioned here, so i can't comment on them.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby abrage22 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:28 pm

any opinions on cbs' eric mack???
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Giambis » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:55 pm

While he hasn't been around (at least I don't think) as long as some of the other guys, Derek Carty of the hardballtimes does a great job of using sabermetric tools to analyze fantasy stats. A lot of commentators don't back their stuff up with real statistics, and he does, in an efficient and efective way. I don't always agree with him, but definitely fast turning into one of my favorite fantasy reads.
Giambis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:07 pm

Funston always seems to push guys that I despise. Nothing against him , but he always seems to go for guys I am already avoiding.
Brad Evans style is like if I had written a fantasy column when I was 13 years old.
I think Passan is my favourite Yahoo writer.

Matthew Berry from ESPN came up with a few things from left field last year that were pretty good. When he actually goes into detail of his reasoning , some of it sensible and correct. If you can get through the 50% hot air the other 50% is worth hearing.

I also like Neyer and Gammons. ;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:10 pm

Matt Buser is pretty good on Yahoo for basketball coverage.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby BigNoise » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:30 pm

AussieDodger wrote:Brad Evans style is like if I had written a fantasy column when I was 13 years old.

And this is why films loaded with juvenile humor (e.g. "Superbad") resonate with me. You're exactly right. Mentally, I'm perpetually 13. Despite my prepubescent view of the world, hopefully you feel my various fantasy musings are at least somewhat enthralling and amusing.

One person you guys failed to mention who might be the highest quality writer among the Y! fantasy brass is my colleague Andy "Grizzly" Behrens. The Grizz is rock solid.

Looking forward to your continued feedback, whether positive or negative, and your support...
BigNoise
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jake_harv88 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:32 pm

BigNoise wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:Brad Evans style is like if I had written a fantasy column when I was 13 years old.

And this is why films loaded with juvenile humor (e.g. "Superbad") resonate with me. You're exactly right. Mentally, I'm perpetually 13. Despite my prepubescent view of the world, hopefully you feel my various fantasy musings are at least somewhat enthralling and amusing.

One person you guys failed to mention who might be the highest quality writer among the Y! fantasy brass is my colleague Andy "Grizzly" Behrens. The Grizz is rock solid.

Looking forward to your continued feedback, whether positive or negative, and your support...

hm thats the same "Grizz" that vehemently told everyone to draft the chicago defense in the 5th round this year.

Ok I'm just bustin his balls. Everyone at yahoo does a great job. ;-D
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:38 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:
BigNoise wrote:

hm thats the same "Grizz" that vehemently told everyone to draft the chicago defense in the 5th round this year.

Ok I'm just bustin his balls. Everyone at yahoo does a great job. ;-D

but thats the kind of opinion i like. a very drastic opinion, albeit out in left field, but it did make sense on the surface. sure it didnt turn out, but tons of things dont. i rather hear an opinion like that, and make my own conclusion then hearing someone rave about a "man-crush".

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers