White Sox - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Chicago White Sox

White Sox

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

White Sox

Postby 05worldserieschamps » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:17 pm

Does anyone like what they are doing here? Trading away all prospects to try and win now? Agree or disagree?
Is pushing for President Obama to pass a law requiring all citizens to be Chicago White Sox fans and make October 1st "White Sox Day" where we all dress as our favorite player. It maybe socialist, but I don't care.
05worldserieschamps
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1059
Joined: 2 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Kentucky

Re: White Sox

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:49 pm

05worldserieschamps wrote:Does anyone like what they are doing here? Trading away all prospects to try and win now? Agree or disagree?


It's nice that they are trying to win now but I don't know that's the plan to take with how solid Detroit and Cleveland look. I don't see a quick fix that can overtake the both of them.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Re: White Sox

Postby ensanimal » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:01 pm

I like a team that is willing to go for it now and then, but I don`t think this was the time for the Sox to do it. They didn`t really have the team to start with to have a chance. Especially with what the Tigers have done.
ensanimal
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10619
(Past Year: 112)
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Tim Horton's

Re: White Sox

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:49 pm

Trading away Gonzalez and De Los Santos was idiotic but if Billy Beane wants them, that should raise their value up a ton because he has an awesome eye for talent.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6584
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 11 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: White Sox

Postby kab21 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:51 pm

I posted this in the other thread. I think the White Sox are going with an anti-moneyball rebuilding strategy. they are trading prospects that might be good or might bust for proven young players (more proven in Quentin's case). The key to this strategy is that they are spending money vs Beane which is cutting payroll. They are also a better team this year with 7 strong hitters in the lineup (if Swisher is in CF) but questionable pitching after Beuhrle, Vazquez and Danks. But next year potentially has several strong pitchers on the FA market. Again it only costs money.

I had been critical of the trade from the White Sox view and I still have no idea where they are going to get pitchers from, but is it possible that this is Chicago's version of rebuilding? I'm proposing that they might be doing the anti-moneyball rebuilding. They just aren't opposed to spending money while rebuilding. And they are a better team now while doing it. Anyways it's just a theory.

Prospects seem to be an overvalued commodity currently and they cashed them in for a proven very good young player.

Swisher for Gio, de los Santos and Sweeney - The prospects could be good or they could bust. It will take 2-3 years to know for sure. You know that Swisher is going to be a very good player for the Sox and he's only 26. He'll be around for years (thru 2012). They prefer to take the sure thing.

Other trades
Chris Carter for Carlos Quentin - traded a hot prospect from low A for an unproven MLB player that had superior MiLB stats at higher levels, but struggled in his first mlb season. Quentin still has a better chance of being a good MLB player than Carter. He's young and will be around for awhile.

Orlando Cabrera for Jon Garland - Cabrera is likely a Type A FA and Garland is likely a Type B FA. If you're rebuilding 2 picks are better than 1. And the Sox got some cash out of the deal I think. Cabrera also helps the offense alot this year as an improvement over Uribe. And I'm a little confused who's going to pitch for the White Sox, but oh well.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5335
(Past Year: 177)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: White Sox

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:34 pm

I think that Danks falls under questionable and do any of Chicago's moves really make them a comparable team to Cleveland and Detroit?
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6584
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 11 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: White Sox

Postby sublime8414 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:17 pm

kab21 wrote:I posted this in the other thread. I think the White Sox are going with an anti-moneyball rebuilding strategy. they are trading prospects that might be good or might bust for proven young players (more proven in Quentin's case). The key to this strategy is that they are spending money vs Beane which is cutting payroll. They are also a better team this year with 7 strong hitters in the lineup (if Swisher is in CF) but questionable pitching after Beuhrle, Vazquez and Danks. But next year potentially has several strong pitchers on the FA market. Again it only costs money.

I had been critical of the trade from the White Sox view and I still have no idea where they are going to get pitchers from, but is it possible that this is Chicago's version of rebuilding? I'm proposing that they might be doing the anti-moneyball rebuilding. They just aren't opposed to spending money while rebuilding. And they are a better team now while doing it. Anyways it's just a theory.

Prospects seem to be an overvalued commodity currently and they cashed them in for a proven very good young player.

Swisher for Gio, de los Santos and Sweeney - The prospects could be good or they could bust. It will take 2-3 years to know for sure. You know that Swisher is going to be a very good player for the Sox and he's only 26. He'll be around for years (thru 2012). They prefer to take the sure thing.

Other trades
Chris Carter for Carlos Quentin - traded a hot prospect from low A for an unproven MLB player that had superior MiLB stats at higher levels, but struggled in his first mlb season. Quentin still has a better chance of being a good MLB player than Carter. He's young and will be around for awhile.

Orlando Cabrera for Jon Garland - Cabrera is likely a Type A FA and Garland is likely a Type B FA. If you're rebuilding 2 picks are better than 1. And the Sox got some cash out of the deal I think. Cabrera also helps the offense alot this year as an improvement over Uribe. And I'm a little confused who's going to pitch for the White Sox, but oh well.


Interesting post. And if they're are moving over-valued products for under-valued products, then that's really the theory behind moneyball in principle. However, as you stated money is the keep difference.
sublime8414
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 758
Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: philadelphia

Re: White Sox

Postby kab21 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:18 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:I think that Danks falls under questionable and do any of Chicago's moves really make them a comparable team to Cleveland and Detroit?


Your missing the point.

How isn't acquiring Quentin and Swisher considered rebuilding while improving your current team? Both players are young and under team control for many years. And Swisher is very good right now. Gio, de los Santos, Sweeney (almost a throw-in IMO) and Carter are very unproven prospects that could be good or could bust.

It's the anti-moneyball rebuilding model taking advantage of the prospect hype. And just a theory of mine, not saying it's the correct way to go.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5335
(Past Year: 177)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: White Sox

Postby kab21 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:24 pm

sublime8414 wrote:Interesting post. And if they're are moving over-valued products for under-valued products, then that's really the theory behind moneyball in principle. However, as you stated money is the keep difference.


It's not so much that they are overvalued, it's that they are from a sure thing that Swisher is.

It makes sense from Oakland's standpoint considering their financial constraints and it makes sense from Chicago's considering their financial freedom. At first I was very against the trade from Chicago's standpoint, but that comes from years of thinking under the MN (and OAK) philosophies.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5335
(Past Year: 177)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: White Sox

Postby jfg » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:34 pm

I don't see why Chicago can't make the playoffs. Detroit still is a team where most of their lineup could be out for the season by mid April. Cleveland didn't do anything this offseason and are riding on a lot of pitchers to stay on par with career years. Chicago can contend. A major market team like the White Sox has no business conceding the division before the season even starts.
Image
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6078
(Past Year: 86)
Joined: 4 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Chicago White Sox

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Aug. 29
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Minnesota at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Boston at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Miami at Atlanta
(7:35 pm)
Cleveland at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Chi Cubs at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Colorado at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Oakland at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Diego
(10:10 pm)
Washington at Seattle
(10:10 pm)
Milwaukee at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact