Trading draft picks... good or bad idea? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Trading draft picks... good or bad idea?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trading draft picks... good or bad idea?

Postby Team Updog » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:27 pm

My friend and I run a 12 team head-to-head keeper league that finished its inagural season last year. Two-thirds of the league has played for 7-8 years, the other third will be entering their 2nd year.

This year we're thinking about possibly letting people trade draft picks. Anyone out there do this?

We're thinking that the trades must be for an equal amount of picks, so no one goes over or under the roster limits.
We will also allow trading before the draft only, because it seems that if we traded during the draft it would really slow things down.

We're not sure if we should allow the trading of a keeper AND picks. Things could get a little dicey if, for example, we started weighing the value of a 1st and 3rd round pick for a 2nd round and Jose Reyes.

We are not sure if we should go through with this because our league is still pretty young and there are a few GMs who are light on experience.

Let me know if you guys do this and what you think of it.

Thanks for your feedback!

;-D
When thinking about making a move, it is all about the VORP (Value Over Replacement Player)
Team Updog
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trading draft picks... good or bad idea?

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:11 pm

I actually like being able to deal picks. If you run the draft well, it shouldn't be an issue unless you do an online draft. Then, it could get tricky. I do mainly slow drafts over a month or month and a half and love it. I also wouldn't limit trading picks, either. Adding a player or having a mismatched number of rounds is no biggie. If I have an extra pick because of a trade, I can package that to someone else. If someone ends up with an extra pick, they just don't make their last 1. If they have 1 fewer, they get to pick up someone from the WW after the draft. Works like a charm. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Team Updog » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:52 am

Thanks for the feedback!

I suppose it would have helped if I had mentioned our draft style. We do a live draft for 2-3 pressure packed hours. That doesn't allow for much trading during the draft so we figure most of the draft pick deals would happen in the weeks leading up to the draft. Your ideas sound like they will work if we decide to change draft style.

If anyone else trades draft picks in their league, I'd be interested to know how their league does it.
When thinking about making a move, it is all about the VORP (Value Over Replacement Player)
Team Updog
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Diamond Miners » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:15 am

We trade draft picks in one of my leagues. We also eliminated the last round draft pick to a WW/FA pickup. This would allow someone to trade for a draft pick and not be forced to wait for WW/FA to pick up their final player. In our league, roster limits are set, if I pick up an extra 1st and 2nd round picks, then my WW/FA pick is not used nor is my final round pick. That extra pick that players can not use typically start to be traded to the other player as some "added" value. We also have a limit on the number of extra draft picks you can trade for and a limit on the number of your original picks you can trade. The loop hole there is that I can trade for a pick and turn around and trade that pick and it doesn't count against me, since it wasn't an original draft pick of mine.
Draft picks are funny though, because people value them differently depending on the keeper stance. In the same league we can keep a player for however long we want. So one owner who took over a team this past year, basically took this year and next year as a rebuilding year. He traded for as many good keepers as he could, traded the other decent guys to owners trying to make their playoff push for draft picks. He ended up with 5 of his 8 keepers being top 30 players and 4 extra draft picks, which I assume he will draft and try to turn around in trades so his 8 keepers are top 30 players. So it really depends on the rules to the value of the draft picks. Some owners wouldn't have done this and tried to win it every year. This owner understood he was taking over a team and not likely to win so he took it as a year to rebuild to his liking.

Hope that helps and isn't to confusing.
Good luck, feel free to PM me
DM

Minor League forum
Diamond Miners
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:59 pm

Team Updog wrote:Thanks for the feedback!

I suppose it would have helped if I had mentioned our draft style. We do a live draft for 2-3 pressure packed hours. That doesn't allow for much trading during the draft so we figure most of the draft pick deals would happen in the weeks leading up to the draft. Your ideas sound like they will work if we decide to change draft style.

If anyone else trades draft picks in their league, I'd be interested to know how their league does it.

Is your live draft online or off?? If it's off, I don't see the problem here. Just adjust the draft boards.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby converge241 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:40 pm

I enjoy trading draft picks and do so in keeper leagues im in.

One thing i dont allow though in league i run is straight picks for picks trade. Those are tougher to quantify to the league members for "fairness" sometimes so in that league you can trade player(s) for player(s) or Player(s) for draft pick(s). The draft picks do fly though!
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:32 am

converge241 wrote:I enjoy trading draft picks and do so in keeper leagues im in.

One thing i dont allow though in league i run is straight picks for picks trade. Those are tougher to quantify to the league members for "fairness" sometimes so in that league you can trade player(s) for player(s) or Player(s) for draft pick(s). The draft picks do fly though!

Why not?? If I am targeting a player, I like to trade an earlier pick in this round and a later pick in the next for vice versa. Helps both as long as the other guy has a level draft board at that time.
Lofunzo

Postby converge241 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:21 pm

Because they are tougher to quantify in trade review to the league members in that particular league. There were too many concerns from too many teams when we had that allowed in that league about the true value of draft picks solely. This was the compomise to keep the league as a whole happy because some wanted no draft pick trading at all.

I love trading picks for picks personally

youre preaching to the perverted here :-)
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby RotoFan07 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:31 pm

I would be for it in a keeper league, but not a standard re-draft.
RotoFan07
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Commissioner's Corner