Using Another's Wireless Network - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Using Another's Wireless Network

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Using Another's Wireless Network

Postby Smooth » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:35 am

I currently live in an apartment and was trying to use another tenant's wireless network via a laptop. I don't have a laptop yet but a friend brought one to my apartment a couple weeks ago and picked up a wireless network within my building but the computer said the network was secured so we couldn't tap into it. However, tonight he came over again and the same network was unsecured. Does this sound normal? I want to get a laptop but if I can't pick up a wireless network, it is pointless. I only have one cable input which goes straight to HD Tv so trying to split the signal would affect both internet and cable reception. Do i buy a laptop with the hopes that the network stays unsecured? What would cause a network to go back and forth between secured and unsecured? Just don't want to waste my money if it will be secured.

Help!!!
Smooth
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Using Another's Wireless Network

Postby CheeseBeger » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:37 am

Sooooo you want help regarding how to steal someones internet? Naughty naughty.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby thedude » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:15 am

CheeseBeger wrote:Sooooo you want help regarding how to steal someones internet? Naughty naughty.

Not cool man.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby RyanK » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:31 am

...in my apartment i pick up 4 different neighbors wireless... why pay?
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:35 am

Gotta lock this up for the obvious reason.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:40 pm

Madison wrote:Gotta lock this up for the obvious reason.

Agreed but I thought that I would add something that might be able to keep yet another Cafe member out of trouble. :-)

I currently live in an apartment and was trying to use another tenant's wireless network via a laptop. I don't have a laptop yet but a friend brought one to my apartment a couple weeks ago and picked up a wireless network within my building but the computer said the network was secured so we couldn't tap into it. However, tonight he came over again and the same network was unsecured. Does this sound normal? I want to get a laptop but if I can't pick up a wireless network, it is pointless. I only have one cable input which goes straight to HD Tv so trying to split the signal would affect both internet and cable reception. Do i buy a laptop with the hopes that the network stays unsecured? What would cause a network to go back and forth between secured and unsecured? Just don't want to waste my money if it will be secured.

Help!!!

So, you want to buy a laptop but you don't have a few bucks to pay for an internet connection?? You can pick up a wireless connection. Your own. You mention that you have 1 cable run coming into your apartment. Unless you already have a bad signal, you should be able to split it with no issues. If you order internet service from your cable provider, they should be able to verify the signal strength, provide a decent splitter, and use quality fittings.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Return to General Talk