Off the Wall Rules in Fantasy Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Off the Wall Rules in Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Off the Wall Rules in Fantasy Baseball

Postby baseballin » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:36 pm

I was curious to see what kind of off the wall rules you guys have in your various leagues. Like for instance, In one of my leagues we actually get a cash fine (Up to $20 maximum) if one of our players gets fined or suspended by either his own team or by the MLB. We get fined at $1 per $1000 of real time fine and also $1 per 1 game suspension. Basically it was done to help sweeten up the kitty, but it sure is fun to rip on an owner because you see one of his guys roll across the ESPN ticker stating that his stud pitcher has just been suspended for 5 games. Anyway, just curious to see if anyone else has some rules like this.
baseballin
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Off the Wall Rules in Fantasy Baseball

Postby JTWood » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:43 am

Weirdest rule we have in my league is that there are no restrictions to the player pool. You could draft Ken Griffey, Jr Jr Jr Jr to your Minors system if you wanted to. Shoot... You could put him on your Active Roster!
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby WaCougMBS » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:33 pm

baseballin wrote:I was curious to see what kind of off the wall rules you guys have in your various leagues. Like for instance, In one of my leagues we actually get a cash fine (Up to $20 maximum) if one of our players gets fined or suspended by either his own team or by the MLB. We get fined at $1 per $1000 of real time fine and also $1 per 1 game suspension. Basically it was done to help sweeten up the kitty, but it sure is fun to rip on an owner because you see one of his guys roll across the ESPN ticker stating that his stud pitcher has just been suspended for 5 games. Anyway, just curious to see if anyone else has some rules like this.

This is definitely off the wall, but it fits in the same vein as a lot of goofy suggestions that you hear fantasy baseball owners kicking around. Ive heard propositions for trying to incorporate gold glove wins, Cy Youngs, rookie of the year, silver slugger awards to a scoring system. Ive also heard of leagues that give extra credit for heady plays and game winning hits. There are all sorts of crazy things out there, but in my league about as crazy as it gets is that we use appearances as a sixth pitching category to offset the use of OPS for hitters...
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:15 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:...we use appearances as a sixth pitching category to offset the use of OPS for hitters...

I understand that Appearances give RPs value, but appearances only barley give any representation of the pitcher's quality.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby converge241 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:37 pm

One that comes up a lot is "why dont we get credit for Carlos Zambrano/Micah Bowie/etc etc's Home Run Night"

well because no one wants the hundreds of 0 for 3's and what not from most of the other pitchers
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Postby WaCougMBS » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:51 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
WaCougMBS wrote:...we use appearances as a sixth pitching category to offset the use of OPS for hitters...

I understand that Appearances give RPs value, but appearances only barley give any representation of the pitcher's quality.

Yeah, I agree completely. Our commish and a few other guys pushed for it 2 years back, and its taken a while for me to get support for either removing ops or replacing app with k/9. Both are much better ideas imo...
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:07 pm

JTWood wrote:Weirdest rule we have in my league is that there are no restrictions to the player pool. You could draft Ken Griffey, Jr Jr Jr Jr to your Minors system if you wanted to. Shoot... You could put him on your Active Roster!

This would be great in a fantasy hockey league. :-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Return to Commissioner's Corner