Who are your "Must Have" Players for 2008? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who are your "Must Have" Players for 2008?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who are your "Must Have" Players for 2008?

Postby Scooter1027 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:59 am

NZ Eff wrote:
Ender wrote: Last season I actively targeted Fielder at 1B in the 4th or 5th round. I was positive he'd put up stronger value than that and with my conservative projections had him as a late 2nd round, early 3rd round value. I went so far as skipping on other 1B because I was banking on Fielder and I got him in most of my leagues. To me he was a 'must have' but I wasn't going to go pick him in the 3rd round because that isn't a value pick anymore.

:-? You conservatively projected Fielder as a late 2nd / early 3rd round value and he was a "must have" but you weren't going to pick him in the 3rd round. WTF

I don't see why this is complicated...why take a guy in the 3rd when you can take him in the 5th? The 3rd round wasn't the going rate for Fielder last year, why overpay when you can get a better value?
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:07 am

NZ Eff wrote:
Ender wrote: Last season I actively targeted Fielder at 1B in the 4th or 5th round. I was positive he'd put up stronger value than that and with my conservative projections had him as a late 2nd round, early 3rd round value. I went so far as skipping on other 1B because I was banking on Fielder and I got him in most of my leagues. To me he was a 'must have' but I wasn't going to go pick him in the 3rd round because that isn't a value pick anymore.

:-? You conservatively projected Fielder as a late 2nd / early 3rd round value and he was a "must have" but you weren't going to pick him in the 3rd round. WTF

Yes, that is how you win fantasy baseball. If I think Fielder is a 2nd round value and he is being drafted in the 6th round I'd be a moron to draft him in the 3rd round.

This season I think Player X is a 3rd round pick, I will be targeting him in around the 5th round most likely because he is being drafted in the 6th/7th round. If I draft Player X in the 5th round even if he is much worse than I expect he will probably break even and if he is as good as I expect I just made out like a bandit.

To make an extreme example of it, if I honestly thought Fielder was the best player in baseball before last years draft would I want to draft him #1? Of course not, that would be about the stupidest thing I could do. How far above his ADP I like him will somewhat dictate when I draft him, If I'm sure he is the best player in baseball I might draft him in the 3rd round even with the ADP in the 6th round just to be 100% sure I get him, but no way in heck I'm taking him inthe 1st or 2nd round.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby gatorgreenwell » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:21 am

Harang. He just doesn't get the respect he deserves. He's got great stuff and he's a workhorse. Having that goof Dusty as a manager might even help him. Dusty keeps his guys in too long. Harang is one guy who can withstand being in too long.
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers