Who are your "Must Have" Players for 2008? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who are your "Must Have" Players for 2008?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who are your "Must Have" Players for 2008?

Postby great gretzky » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:01 pm

I think it's all relative.

I know that you can't make a habit of overpaying for talent, but at the same time, depending on draft position, you need to have a few guys of this ilk that you will be prepared to reach for (a bit). Otherwise, in my experience, if you are in the middle of the round, and you don't do this, you are constantly following, rather than adding a dash of intrigue. Not that you want to do this just for the sake of things, but depending on position, I have found that I feel you are put in a more reactionary mode, and you don't ever get the top tier guys OR the gamble guys, because those at the ends can take one solid guy for the round, and reach a bit on a scarce position sleeper etc., so you kind of get doubly screwed. Or, all of a sudden (and I do this occasionally), you have a guy go stud SP, stud closer at the turn after he has a few bats, then he is in a position to take a sleeper next round, then resume to best available.

I don't think you should have guys that you unilaterally take because you "must have" them, but in terms of batters, I'd say markakis and victorino are guys I am interested in, and billignsly, shields are two pitchers.

I think this is something where you need a list of candidates, then once you find out your draft position, you then apply it to your combined positional/player strategy.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby great gretzky » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:06 pm

I think it's all relative.

I know that you can't make a habit of overpaying for talent, but at the same time, depending on draft position, you need to have a few guys of this ilk that you will be prepared to reach for (a bit). Otherwise, in my experience, if you are in the middle of the round, and you don't do this, you are constantly following, rather than adding a dash of intrigue. Not that you want to do this just for the sake of things, but depending on position, I have found that I feel you are put in a more reactionary mode, and you don't ever get the top tier guys OR the gamble guys, because those at the ends can take one solid guy for the round, and reach a bit on a scarce position sleeper etc., so you kind of get doubly screwed. Or, all of a sudden (and I do this occasionally), you have a guy go stud SP, stud closer at the turn after he has a few bats, then he is in a position to take a sleeper next round, then resume to best available.

I don't think you should have guys that you unilaterally take because you "must have" them, but in terms of batters, I'd say markakis and victorino are guys I am interested in, and billignsly, shields are two pitchers.

For example, Raule Ibanez was a guy like that for me last year. You absoloutely can't reach for him, but players like him really form the basis for your middle round "end game" so to speak, in that they never have too much value year to year, but can be way solid contributors in the right year.

I think this is something where you need a list of candidates, then once you find out your draft position, you then apply it to your combined positional/player strategy.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:22 pm

rookies and cream wrote:
JDD wrote:I will go out of my way to draft Eric Byrnes in the middle rounds, but not too late, and then choose Mike Piazza near the end. ;-D

For my team name will be...

"It Byrnes when I Piazza". 8-o

I like the team name. Make it happen!

Just don't draft Byrnes as a top 10 OF as suggested by others ;-D

The problem with that team name is that you can't trade or drop either of them or the joke is somewhat lost.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby moochman » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:04 am

It's early for me to really formulate any draft day plans, I like to see a bit of ST ball first.
However, I'm intriged with the prospects of getting an undervalued Carlos Guillen. I think playing first instead of SS will prevent the nagging injuries that have sapped some of his numbers, and the addition of Miggy will give him either better pitches to see or one more runner to drive in.
I can't think of any one who is a must have, though V Mart is surely on my radar.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kab21 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:11 pm

moochman wrote:It's early for me to really formulate any draft day plans, I like to see a bit of ST ball first.
However, I'm intriged with the prospects of getting an undervalued Carlos Guillen. I think playing first instead of SS will prevent the nagging injuries that have sapped some of his numbers, and the addition of Miggy will give him either better pitches to see or one more runner to drive in.
I can't think of any one who is a must have, though V Mart is surely on my radar.

It seems that there are definitely some guys that will be undervalued. Carlos Guillen does stand out since he'll be SS eligible playing in a stronger lineup at an easier physical position (1B). I'm actually making a list of players that I want to get (not must haves, but wants), but since I'm playing in a Cafe league I can't disclose my sleepers (guys that I think will be undervalued). VMart (and also Martin) are not on my must have list. Both are players that were at the top of their position and put up very good numbers last season. They will be drafted/bid high because of it and I don't see any upside considering they are probably going in the 3-4th round.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby J.C.Fighter » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:13 pm

My must haves so far are

Victor Martinez
Corey Hart
James Loney
Chad Billingsley
Yovani Gallardo
Chase Utley ( if I can't snag him ,i 'll get Cano Later)
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rookies and cream » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:22 pm

J.C.Fighter wrote:My must haves so far are

Victor Martinez
Corey Hart
James Loney
Chad Billingsley
Yovani Gallardo
Chase Utley ( if I can't snag him ,i 'll get Cano Later)

Too many "must haves". To get all these guys, you'd probably have to reach on a few hurting the overall value of your team.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Postby CadensDad » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:26 pm

Update:

Kelly johnson- I might be a homer here but this kid has a LOT of potential and his plate skills are awesome

Roy Oswalt- Still a solid pitcher I hope to land in nearly every league

Derrek Lee- His 2nd half power numbers are killer and hope he continues to rise

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Matthias » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:29 pm

Miguel Cabrera: he's going to be phenomenal now that he has a real lineup behind him.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:32 pm

Dana Eveland, my sleeper for the year.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers