Who are your "Must Have" Players for 2008? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who are your "Must Have" Players for 2008?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who are your "Must Have" Players for 2008?

Postby Wilbur » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:23 pm

Some of these are unrealistic "must haves" but would be nice.

Johan Santana
Mark Teixeiria
Matt Holliday
Chase Utley
Jimmy Rollins
Victor Martinez
Alex Rodriguez
Albert Pujols

Starting Pitcher definitely "must have" Ubaldo Jimenez
Wilbur
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:24 pm

I don't really have any must have players. Sure, there are guys I'd like to have on my team, but I'm not going to reach to early for them or be angry if I don't get the chance to draft them.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jake_harv88 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:54 pm

Wilbur wrote:Some of these are unrealistic "must haves" but would be nice.

Johan Santana
Mark Teixeiria
Matt Holliday
Chase Utley
Jimmy Rollins
Victor Martinez
Alex Rodriguez
Albert Pujols

Starting Pitcher definitely "must have" Ubaldo Jimenez

This list is more or less pointless unless you play in a 4 team league...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby JDD » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:03 pm

I will go out of my way to draft Eric Byrnes in the middle rounds, but not too late, and then choose Mike Piazza near the end. ;-D

For my team name will be...

"It Byrnes when I Piazza". 8-o
--JDD
JDD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rookies and cream » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:39 pm

JDD wrote:I will go out of my way to draft Eric Byrnes in the middle rounds, but not too late, and then choose Mike Piazza near the end. ;-D

For my team name will be...

"It Byrnes when I Piazza". 8-o

I like the team name. Make it happen!

Just don't draft Byrnes as a top 10 OF as suggested by others ;-D
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Postby CadensDad » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:18 am

jake_harv88 wrote:
rookies and cream wrote:
CadensDad wrote:Oswalt is my #1, I'm gonna target him early and often and bank on him as a major playher

Don't target him too early though. I also like Oswalt this year, but just outside the top 50. I'll be looking to take him in round 5-6 if he's still there.

I don't think I'll have a "must have" player this year. I'll have a list of players that I like, but I'll only take them if they fall to me at or below where I have them ranked.

Yeah R&C is right. Man-crushes are for the weak at heart. Having a list of players you must have will only lead to you reaching when you shouldn't be reaching. I think a much better thread is the overrated/underrated players...

Yeah, won't be targeting him as my 1st pitcher he is going to be my 2nd MAYBE my third in some leagues, I will look for him around round 6 or 7 depending on when the other pitchers are taken

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Yoda » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:25 am

avsfan4ever33 wrote:I don't really have any must have players. Sure, there are guys I'd like to have on my team, but I'm not going to reach to early for them or be angry if I don't get the chance to draft them.

Agreed 100% I do usually narrow my choices down to a few players that I want for each position by draft time though.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Ender » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:13 am

Yoda wrote:
avsfan4ever33 wrote:I don't really have any must have players. Sure, there are guys I'd like to have on my team, but I'm not going to reach to early for them or be angry if I don't get the chance to draft them.

Agreed 100% I do usually narrow my choices down to a few players that I want for each position by draft time though.

Yeah I don't think these two ideas are mutually exclusive. Last season I actively targetted Fielder at 1B in the 4th or 5th round. I was positive he'd put up stronger value than that and with my conservative projections had him as a late 2nd round, early 3rd round value. I went so far as skipping on other 1B because I was banking on Fielder and I got him in most of my leagues. To me he was a 'must have' but I wasn't going to go pick him in the 3rd round because that isn't a value pick anymore.

I dunno who my must haves are this season, I'd have to look into ADP more to know. I think Gallardo is going to have a big year so I guess I'll go with him for now, he was outstanding last season other than one terrible game in Coor's which sort of hides just how good he was.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby mak1277 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:22 pm

I like the mention of Billingsley and Wainright...I think both will outpitch their draft slots.

Weeks also is someone I'm hoping to end up with in the middle rounds.

Another guy that I'm certain to get in all my leagues is Nate McLouth. .270-.350.-.440 with 18+ homers and 35+ SBs.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby horatio » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:38 pm

A more important factor for me is who is the lowest rung player I would want at each position:

Assuming a 12 team leaque:

Catcher - If I can get McCann or Posada in the 7th round I will be very happy, if not I'll just wait until late in the draft and grab what I can, I'm thinking Molina, Sota, Towles, maybe Kurt Suzuki if I have too.

1b - If I don't get the early top guys or for a late round filler, I'd be looking at probably Adam LaRoche as the last rung guy that I still wouldn't hate to have. I'd be happy grabbing Pena in the 4th, A Gonzalez in the 6th, or even Konerko in the 7th.

2b - After Hill, Ellis, and Kelly Johnson, there's still Freddy Sanchez but after that it gets pretty ugly, probably have to look at Howie Kendrick or even Jose Lopez. I'd love to get Kent in the 13th if he's still there though.

3b - I think this is the deepest position and wouldn't mind a Mark Reynolds or Kevin Kouz if need be.

SS - I think this is the shallowest position, after Michael Young who I'd be looking for in the 8th or 9th possibly if I can't get Tejada or Tulo in the 5th then what have you got, Greene, Hardy, Peralta. If those guys get taken then you're hurting and would have to take a chance with Yunel Escobar or Stephen Drew.

OF - Always seems to be reasonable guys left on the WW after the draft. Jack Cust is my late look if all else fails. Still gotta love Moises Alou when he actually plays. If you want stolen bases Bourne, Ellsbury, and Taveras or decent picks, maybe even Cameron after he serves his suspension, but he's a bit long in the tooth.

Starting Pitching - Personally I hope to have all my pitching wrapped up before you get down to the scrubs and newbies, I like Ted Lilly as a number 4, then Pedro Martinez possibly, after that it's a crap shoot, Tim Hudson could be a nice late pick though.

Thoughts or additions?
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers