Playing in deeper leagues - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Playing in deeper leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Playing in deeper leagues

Postby sportsaddict » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:51 am

I've never played in a league with more than 12 players, but this year I am thinking about joining a deep league if I can find one.

I have a few questions. First, how deep is too deep? I want to play in a league where there are more positions and more teams, a league where you've got to really dig deep in the player pool. But when does it start getting ridiculous? Over 20 teams? When you have middle and corner infielders, etc?

Also, are there certain strategies to take on for deeper leagues? Just anything in general is what I'm looking for, because I am completely new to deep leagues.

Thanks for any input.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Playing in deeper leagues

Postby CadensDad » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:24 am

I consider anything over 16 teams too deep, because you generally get into non active owners then. But if they stay active you can go as deep as you'd like.

As far as strategies goes, the deeper the league the more you need to research. Because in a deep league say 16 teams your 4th round pick wont even be on most peoples top 50, and your 9th round pick wont be on anyones top 100. So make sure you research and such before you get into a league real deep.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:13 am

I play in a 16 team league, but last year was the first time I played in a 12 team league. My main thoughts from that experience would be:

1. Look closely at the top set-up guys. In a deep league they are generally going to be very helpful, especially compared to the typical starters available in the last 5 -7 rounds of the draft.

2. You must build a strong and versatile bench. Covering yourself when injuries occur with waiver wire pickups is going to be very difficult.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby jetlag » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:46 am

After playing in at 16 team league for 2 years, I agree with Gotowar, the top setup guys become much more important to winning.
jetlag
College Coach
College Coach

Postby in10s » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:35 am

Another option if you want a deep leauge is to do AL/NL only with 12 teams. I didn't play fantasy baseball for a long time because I couldn't root against my favorite team. I didn't know about AL/NL only leagues and when I found out I joined an NL league and now only have the favorite team problem during interleague play.

But I also discovered how deep a 10-12 team AL/NL only league can be.

In a deep league you are forced to consider even the smallest thing. For example, when looking at two equal platoon players, give an edge to lefties who get more plate appearances. Since these are marginal players, those extra plate appearances do depress your average a bit. But that is outweighed in other cats. One of my biggest frustration in a deep league is when I check live stats and see my guys aren't playing.

For example, last year I had Willie Harris. He played over his head for a few solid months last year and was deep league gold. Even when he slowed way down, the extra SB/R he gave me outweighed the .200 average.
in10s
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mak1277 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:06 am

in10s wrote:Another option if you want a deep leauge is to do AL/NL only with 12 teams.

I was also going to suggest an AL or NL only league. This reduces the problem of deadbeat owners, because a 10-team "only" league is like having a 20-team full league.

It's true in any league, but even moreso in a deep league...mid-round draft picks are a huge key to winning. You really have to prepare for your draft and win rounds 10-15 if you want to succeed.

I also think it's more important to have a game plan for filling your roster. Pay more attention during the draft to what other teams need (and are likely to target with upcoming picks). There's nothing worse than getting stuck with a zero at a position because you weren't paying attention (I learned this the hard way a few times).
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby J35J » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:27 pm

mak1277 wrote:
in10s wrote:Another option if you want a deep leauge is to do AL/NL only with 12 teams.

I was also going to suggest an AL or NL only league. This reduces the problem of deadbeat owners, because a 10-team "only" league is like having a 20-team full league.

It's true in any league, but even moreso in a deep league...mid-round draft picks are a huge key to winning. You really have to prepare for your draft and win rounds 10-15 if you want to succeed.

I also think it's more important to have a game plan for filling your roster. Pay more attention during the draft to what other teams need (and are likely to target with upcoming picks). There's nothing worse than getting stuck with a zero at a position because you weren't paying attention (I learned this the hard way a few times).

Yup, just what I was going to say. Getting into deep leagues is fun but its hard to find 18 owners who will stay active. 10-12 team "only" leagues are the way to go!!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby Dan Charette » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:32 pm

I feel that the deeper the league , the more important it is to use position scarcity when you draft. This will help to avoid having a dud at a position. I play in 1 16 team redraft league every year. This is a good size league . You must do your research.
If your league plays LF, CF, and RF instead of just OF make sure you get a LF early. There's a big dropoff after the first few.
I like to determine which position I could wait until the later rounds. When you do your rankings by position, try to make tiers of players with similar values. As someone else mentioned, you have to try and keep track of the other team's needs.
If you're in a snake draft and and your draft position is near one end or the other, you may have to reach a little to avoid having a bad producing posiition.
When the closer run starts, make sure you get at least 1 good one.
In a deep league , after 7 rounds I like to have 5 batters, 1 ace starting pitcher , and 1 closer. After round 7 some picks may be influenced by what others are doing.
If you're really prepared, these deep leagues can be real fun.

Dan the Bluesman
Dan Charette
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers